BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

Thai rice-pledging scheme: Farmers overjoyed as payments begin

I'm sure the farmers' wives will be more than happy too and for varying reasons.

Hopefully some thought will be put in how some of the money at least is used so the families can get out debt.and out of the clutches of loan sharks..

• Like 1

Er indoors said something about 2 million tonnes of rice is missing.

Once the farmers are paid off, the program ends, right? I think a big push for the next government should be to figure out how to diversify crops, as well as improve yields and quantity of crops through technology and education. Handouts are nothing more than populist schemes, instead invest the money into real agricultural change.

The Thai space agency (GISTDA) and the ministry of agriculture are already doing some pilot programmes looking at mapping all the agricultural areas for crop diversification, crop quality, crop pest and disease control etc. using expertise and support from abroad

Some more extensive programs were intended but as these were being funded under government to government agreements they may now be put on hold

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Once the farmers are paid off, the program ends, right? I think a big push for the next government should be to figure out how to diversify crops, as well as improve yields and quantity of crops through technology and education. Handouts are nothing more than populist schemes, instead invest the money into real agricultural change.

This I entirely agree , I was at a village out from Chiang Rai yesterday and the younger group lamented that the villagers didn't want change, they are stuck in the ways of there forefathers and those before them, they don't take to too many new Ideas on board , an interesting talk with the younger ones (the ones left), it highlighted the fact that change in Thailand in some area's will be very slow indeed, if you get what I mean.