Thai rice-pledging scheme: Farmers overjoyed as payments begin

webfact

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure the farmers' wives will be more than happy too and for varying reasons.

Hopefully some thought will be put in how some of the money at least is used so the families can get out debt.and out of the clutches of loan sharks..

• Like 1

Once the farmers are paid off, the program ends, right? I think a big push for the next government should be to figure out how to diversify crops, as well as improve yields and quantity of crops through technology and education. Handouts are nothing more than populist schemes, instead invest the money into real agricultural change.

The Thai space agency (GISTDA) and the ministry of agriculture are already doing some pilot programmes looking at mapping all the agricultural areas for crop diversification, crop quality, crop pest and disease control etc. using expertise and support from abroad

Some more extensive programs were intended but as these were being funded under government to government agreements they may now be put on hold

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Once the farmers are paid off, the program ends, right? I think a big push for the next government should be to figure out how to diversify crops, as well as improve yields and quantity of crops through technology and education. Handouts are nothing more than populist schemes, instead invest the money into real agricultural change.

This I entirely agree , I was at a village out from Chiang Rai yesterday and the younger group lamented that the villagers didn't want change, they are stuck in the ways of there forefathers and those before them, they don't take to too many new Ideas on board , an interesting talk with the younger ones (the ones left), it highlighted the fact that change in Thailand in some area's will be very slow indeed, if you get what I mean.

Great news that the farmers are getting paid, they have used as pawns for too long.

The Junta has been allowed to get the loans that the democratically elected government was denied.

Very distorted and unhelpful comment. It seems to me that this actually leaves a bad taste in your mouth and is not really great news to you at all.

The government who forgot to sideline the money to pay them, because they obviously have very little thought for them and their predicament. They then dissolved parliament and called snap elections which put them in the position of having to be denied the money as it gave PTP an advantage in the election.

PTP screwed up, so don't try to apply the blame on everyone else, and that the government were free from all blame. It doesn't fly here.

I suspect PTP could easily have paid from there own contingency (tea) funds, and if not enough the pseudo 'president' elect could surely have dipped into his billions.... If he truly cared. They sold the farmers out and could not have cared less. Shameless. And this act will not be forgotten once the real truths have been exposed and a fully informed electorate can cast their votes without the despicable coercement and exploitation of the unfortunate uneducated populous living in the poorest areas of Thailand.

Dr Bruce, nice one. Good to see you guys are still clinging on by the fingers nails.

• Like 2

Great news that the farmers are getting paid, they have used as pawns for too long.

The Junta has been allowed to get the loans that the democratically elected government was denied.

Very distorted and unhelpful comment. It seems to me that this actually leaves a bad taste in your mouth and is not really great news to you at all.

The government who forgot to sideline the money to pay them, because they obviously have very little thought for them and their predicament. They then dissolved parliament and called snap elections which put them in the position of having to be denied the money as it gave PTP an advantage in the election.

PTP screwed up, so don't try to apply the blame on everyone else, and that the government were free from all blame. It doesn't fly here.

I suspect PTP could easily have paid from there own contingency (tea) funds, and if not enough the pseudo 'president' elect could surely have dipped into his billions.... If he truly cared. They sold the farmers out and could not have cared less. Shameless. And this act will not be forgotten once the real truths have been exposed and a fully informed electorate can cast their votes without the despicable coercement and exploitation of the unfortunate uneducated populous living in the poorest areas of Thailand.

Dr Bruce, nice one. Good to see you guys are still clinging on by the fingers nails.

All it takes is one person present at the cabinet meeting on the dissolution of the house back on December to open his/her mouth and blow the whistle on whether they deliberately held off paying. That will open a can of worms and will see the end of Thaksin and the Shins for good. If I were an investigative reporter, I would be hunting this down among those cabinet members who look as though they are leaning away from Thaksin.

• Like 1

This payment was approaved by the government already before the coup. There is no way in the world someone can walk into a office on Friday and start dishing out Money early Monday morning. Rice was sold- money was made- farmers get paid.

This is the problem

The last admin swore even though farmeras had not been paid that this scheme was a success and would continue it through this year. The Army needs to end all the populist schemes and review all aspects of them to see if they are needed and feasable to continue.

Relieved to know farmers are finally paid. That is a positive move & let hope this will continue next priority.

They are not paid. After presenting their vouchers to the Baac they are exchanged for an IOU from the Baac in which the Baac in 7 to 14 days will notify the farmer that he/she has the cash in his/her account.

of course that's right, great news though and the coup will take the credit but the reality is the banks were ordered to do it when they did not previously for political reasons

whatever I'm pleased for the farmers who have severely suffered

The Army came in and got it put together in a matter of days. They actually get sh*t done, rather than exploit and oppress farmers.