Thai opinion: The difference between a house and a home

webfact

"... it's not a home if the dwellers don't feel they belong. Harmony and peace between those under the same roof is the key ingredient, and that can only be achieved with love and mutual understanding."

I suppose this article wasn't written for the sake of expats who have decided to make Thailand their home. We will have to be satisfied with living in a beautiful house and with the small minority of Thais who have accepted us and are willing to share their lives and culture with us. That being said, I believe more people's lives would be enriched by more acceptance and sharing from both sides. But, then again, if people aren't willing to be compassionate with their neighbors, why would one expect them to be any more compassionate with "outsiders".

Edited by jaltsc

The past few month have been an eye opening for the "green" expat that I am in Thailand.

I have to say that I love the people in the street. They make me feel comfortable, welcomed, safe. I used to carry a gun, I haven't apply for a license yet.

Unfortunately I'm a democracy lover. And to say that I've been disappointed by a number of my fellow expats and my "educated " local colleagues is an understatement.

I understand that given the current situation, I have to be careful with what I say. I have faith in the younger generation. A friend of mine who has been for more 40 years said to me that when he arrived there was only the riches and the poors. I can see the young middle class growing and I like it. Lets hope it's the last time Thailand has to go through a coup to solve its problem.

in thailand, you can buy a house, but thanks to the law, it will never be your home

basic human rights to own your own house & business , and a right to work, not overhere

Thailand is a landlord society. They haven't developed any other economy. They own the land, they rent it, that's how they make money. Think about it ...

• Like 1

in thailand, you can buy a house, but thanks to the law, it will never be your home

basic human rights to own your own house & business , and a right to work, not overhere

Slow down with your human rights complain. The examples you give have nothing to do with it.

You can rent a house or apartment. You can buy an apartment. You can open a company and own 49% of the shares. You can work with a work permit.

• Like 1

Slow down with your human rights complain. The examples you give have nothing to do with it.

You can rent a house or apartment. You can buy an apartment. You can open a company and own 49% of the shares. You can work with a work permit.

quod erat demonstrandum. You have proved the point belg was making.

In traditional Thai society, you used to have two classes. The land owners and the peasants.The peasants was of course uneducated. The educated landowners were employed in the administration, army ... very classical, There was a problem, a class of work that was not suitable for the educated elite and even less for the unedecuted peasants : business, traders of all kinds. Here come the Chineses who little by little infiltrated the Thai society.

The problem is very fast this merchant class is running the country. Problem smile.png

The Thai society has tried its best to integrate the "chineses", it even succeeded to avoid the race war. But the problem of the landlords who own the land but don't contribute to the prosperity of the country can't last for ever

It is also the right of a sovereign state to develop its own policy. Foriegn money could easily price homeownership out of the reach of Thais.

• Like 1

.... air-ticket ?

So there is massive income inequality in thailand

What to do?

Let's pump money and subsidies into the countryside to lift them out of poverty.

Naaahhh. That might cut the country in half and spark a coup.

The difference between a house and a home. In Thailand you can sell a house, but you can't sell a home.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Never mind indoor plumbing, an indoor bog, electricity, lockable doors and windows. A Thai house isn't a home until you have a 50' plasma TV blaring in the corner. giggle.gif

Brilliant post, it's made me snort coffee all over my screen, as I can 100% relate to this post..

The difference between a house and a home, a house is a nothing more than a possession, a home is a work of art.

Never mind indoor plumbing, an indoor bog, electricity, lockable doors and windows. A Thai house isn't a home until you have a 50' plasma TV blaring in the corner. giggle.gif

Brilliant post, it's made me snort coffee all over my screen, as I can 100% relate to this post..

The difference between a house and a home, a house is a nothing more than a possession, a home is a work of art.

Glad to be of service!!

A house is where people live in Thai television soaps..... lihe a show home with everything spotless and no paraphernalia like magazines, personal knick-knacks or children to clutter up the place and spoil the design lines.

A home is where the rest of us live.

I can only put down to the influence of western culture, (or as it's called civilization) that comes to Thailand via media, and westerners who come to live in Thailand. Why would Thailand has junk food restaurants of all kinds? To serve the need of western people, that's just one example.

I live most of my adult life in the western hemisphere after moving there at a young age. I hardly see neighbours talking to each other much, or greeting each other, or strangers on the streets. Children stay inside their houses most of the time. Parents teach them to beware of strangers when most often time the crime committed against them is from their own family or someone they know.

I believe some Thai people, not all, adjust themselves accordingly to the imposition of the western culture. Thailand today is not the same as Thailand I've known 60 years ago.

• Like 1

In traditional Thai society, you used to have two classes. The land owners and the peasants.The peasants was of course uneducated. The educated landowners were employed in the administration, army ... very classical, There was a problem, a class of work that was not suitable for the educated elite and even less for the unedecuted peasants : business, traders of all kinds. Here come the Chineses who little by little infiltrated the Thai society.

The problem is very fast this merchant class is running the country. Problem smile.png

The Thai society has tried its best to integrate the "chineses", it even succeeded to avoid the race war. But the problem of the landlords who own the land but don't contribute to the prosperity of the country can't last for ever

"Here come the Chineses who little by little infiltrated the Thai society."

"Haven't you got the cart before the horse here" The Thais are descendants of the Chinese,so the Chinese were in Thailand first!

Indeed, there was another country with a class of rent takers similar to Thailand today.

It wasn't pretty.

• Like 1

To state that the article by Achara Deboonme is partisan, is the first truth.

The article is an emotional load, without the resource of evidence or maturity.

First up Achara, the visitors to Thailand were 25 million plus, but down this year, for reasons that may elude you.

The rest of her column a sad little piece of work , whining about the wealth and income gap

and without evidence for suggestion, or any possible remedy.

That is that this post claptrap , without intellectual or evidential merit.

Maybe she thinks the Pheu Thai party was there to help the inequality,

her post is weak I think she is very young, attended University and is without life experience .

Edited by peterquixote