Thailand's Obec wants to continue with tablets for students

webfact

This is a bit silly isn't it ? :)
Right, let's just say that yes, the whole tablet thing was riddled by corruption. Well, do they really need to scrap the idea ? How about, the present government raises cash, and buys new tablets. Only this time, buy better quality ones. And yes, distribute them to children. And, off-course, this time round, without the corruption. :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The idiots in education just can't change concepts, can they? They have also been indoctrinated. Prayuth, you really need to dismantle what is precept of a temple. and start building bricks and stones, and move on from wood.

Tablets with no bloody, or dangerous, electricity lines to charge them mean zilch.

"We will seek a budget of more than Bt4 billion for purchasing tablets for the 2014 academic year," Obec secretary-general Apichart Jeerawuth said yesterday.

Is it just me or does this sound like an invitation to investigate the bank accounts and property portfolios of this guy and his family?

• Like 1

this whole fiasco Urghhh I am not very good at foresight but this 1 tablet policy. You had to be dead in order not to predict the problems:

Below are problems which I honestly foresaw would happen

Blue tooth/wifi doesn't work

poor quality product at cheap knock off price

Upcountry and urban teachers can't/don't know how to use or incorporate these things into a lesson/curriculum

Younger students (see the 1 above )

The only person who I think truly believed in this policy was Yinglack and she's demonstrated several times that she isn't the sharpest blade in the drawer

The kiids do not need the pads! What they need is classes with aircon, projector, speakers, white board a main computer operated by the teacher plus decent textbooks and workbooks. The pads were a vote buying scheme that was also a scam/pocket liner for certain people. Totally useless as the either broke down or new programs of worth would not suit the format when installed! Never buy Chinese crap if you want something to last. Plus most of the parents, after their kids get a pad are off down to the pawn shop to see how much they can get for it. Total shambles!!!

First and foremost, schools need teachers who can manage a proper curriculum.

The current state of the schools and teachers is perhaps Thailand's biggest national disgrace.

Its not just the curriculum! The teachers need to stop lecturing and making kids memorize and get them to be curious , interested, and particpate in classrooms.

When a student is forbidden to ask WHY and is instead told to accept it no matter what the kids learning is hindered.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You are so right. I did some corporate teaching and one of the students told me in her first semester at uni she failed everything going from homework to actual exams until she stopped asking questions in her lectures.

Ask questions equates to challenging the teachers.

A lot depends on the school. My daughter just graduated from the prep school at King Mongkut Institute of Technology where she was encouraged to ask questions.

If one has children, perhaps the best thing that can be done for them is to get them out of the public system.

Both of my kids are in the public system and they are encouraged to ask questions. It all depends on the individual school and teacher.

My gripe is that they are not given vocabulary to memorize and do not have spelling tests in English.

"For the 2014 academic year, we will have to review whether tablets should be handed out to all students. There has been some discussion on whether we should switch to using tablets for smart classrooms instead," she said.

I think smart classrooms are the way to go....if you provide smart teachers.

With all due respect. That would severally limit the number handed out. It would not be much of an item on the budget. First they have to learn how to train teachers differently before they can start to expect teachers to be good teachers and instill intelligence into the students.

Possibly you are referring to private schools who should supply their own. I hope you are not talking about that old chestnut of teaching English.

I was wondering how this new contract they have signed with Microsoft will work into the whole equation. I would presume the pads they have now would be unable to handle the programs from Microsoft. I may well be wrong as I am not that knowledgable about computers. But I can't see how a quality program could work on a piece of junk.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Tablets are just toys. The schools need computers with good networks, fast internet connections and the kind of software that is used by most businesses.

I would agree with you and I believe they have made a step towards that with the Microsoft deal. The hardware is the problem. What they are handing out now barely gets up to the junk category.

the problem I have with the whole thing is that I don't believe they should be given to a student right away as a crutch to lean on. Wait two years and instill logic and reasoning into them then get them some decent equipment.

It has been years but as I remember in my Psychology class the human brain does not fully mature until the age of 7. Let it mature and use it a bit then bring in the tools available for helping them. At the same time classes that force them to think with out the use of the tools.

I believe this will bring us a more rounded student.

Always remember most of the great scientists of mankind did not have computers. If they had had them would there minds been able to develop in the ways they did? I think not.

seems there are still some that think they can still make money from this scheme even after it has been shown to be a giant, corrupt deal foisted by the ptp and yl on the people of Thailand

Tablets are just toys. The schools need computers with good networks, fast internet connections and the kind of software that is used by most businesses.

I would agree with you and I believe they have made a step towards that with the Microsoft deal. The hardware is the problem. What they are handing out now barely gets up to the junk category.

the problem I have with the whole thing is that I don't believe they should be given to a student right away as a crutch to lean on. Wait two years and instill logic and reasoning into them then get them some decent equipment.

It has been years but as I remember in my Psychology class the human brain does not fully mature until the age of 7. Let it mature and use it a bit then bring in the tools available for helping them. At the same time classes that force them to think with out the use of the tools.

Always remember most of the great scientists of mankind did not have computers. If they had had them would there minds been able to develop in the ways they did? I think not.

So what good is having a tablet and good deal with microsoft if most thai students dont or cant get internet access.

Public servants promoting the continuation of this "project" are just trying to justify the old program and their involvement in it.

I bought tablets (better quality) for the 5 kids who's education I support. The best thing about them is that it helps me stay in contact with all of them - but that is a personal issue not an educational issue. The most valuable learning that they have from the tablets is them playing around in their own time.

A far better use of the money would be to use it to buy building materials and have the community and army build half decent classrooms in the most disadvantage areas. This would help to address disadvantage, provide a more educated workforce for the future ( an important micro economic reform) as well as serve as an effect hearts and minds program to help reunify the country.

So what good is having a tablet and good deal with microsoft if most thai students dont or cant get internet access.

good point.

How ever I don't think there are a lot who can not access the internet. For areas where it is unavailable it would not serve any purpose to distribute them. How ever with the crooks out of the government now perhaps the new government will include education on the list of reforms they are looking for before returning it to the people. Unlike the previous Governments they have nothing to loose by keeping the people ignorant.

Time will tell. We know under the previous governments education was a low item on their list's if it was on them at all.

good point.

How ever I don't think there are a lot who can not access the internet. For areas where it is unavailable it would not serve any purpose to distribute them. How ever with the crooks out of the government now perhaps the new government will include education on the list of reforms they are looking for before returning it to the people. Unlike the previous Governments they have nothing to loose by keeping the people ignorant.

Time will tell. We know under the previous governments education was a low item on their list's if it was on them at all.

Don't know that you can include the Dem Govt in that one John.

You should know by now, been posted enough on this site, what they started to do for education only to have their ideas scrapped and replaced by tablets.

good point.

Don't know that you can include the Dem Govt in that one John.

You should know by now, been posted enough on this site, what they started to do for education only to have their ideas scrapped and replaced by tablets.

Well an insider in that ministry who attended the meetings by the minister to decide how to use the budget said that whenever they had these meetings improving education was never discussed. Instead all they talked about was ways to spend the money in schemes. I am not sure you all realize but the education ministry has the second largest budget out of them all.

Edited by thesetat2013

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. They don't work! My son's tablet only worked 10 minutes and it was loaded with lite apps. alt=bah.gif> The corruption continues?blink.png alt=blink.png>

You sound surprised! There never was going to be an end to corruption, merely a change in recipients.

Kids need to go put and climb trees and do things that will incorporate their physical attributes about life instead of wasting their times at a prison yard called School aka "brainwashing-institute"

Kids need to go put and climb trees and do things that will incorporate their physical attributes about life instead of wasting their times at a prison yard called School aka "brainwashing-institute"

and this will accomplish what. More rice farmers.

They might learn some common sense .. usually after you fall out of the tree once you learn to be more careful.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. They don't work! My son's tablet only worked 10 minutes and it was loaded with lite apps. alt=bah.gif> The corruption continues?blink.png alt=blink.png>

You sound surprised! There never was going to be an end to corruption, merely a change in recipients.

You have a pretty dim view of Thailand's future. You strongly support a corrupt government and now that they are on the run claim that the corruption will continue.

The government you supported took corruption up to a new level and you think the people who replace them will be just as corrupt. In short you are nothing but a Thai basher unwilling to concede that there are many honest Thai people. Corruption will continue as it does in every country in the world but not at the same level as the PTP and red shirts have taken it.

• Like 2

How to raise a taxi driver...

• Like 1

Yes, if that's the choice. Better than wasting 10 plus hours a day regurgitating facts and information memorizing that you won't EVER need again in your life....

When were an SAT or a Pytagoras complex mathematics score OR any certain brainwashed violent propaganda history doctrine lessons from the past ever been practical in your life, huh????

Edited by MaxLee

They might learn some common sense .. usually after you fall out of the tree once you learn to be more careful.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Not many trees in the big cities and the ones living in areas where they have them climb them all the time and are none the smarter for it. In fact many of them do nothing in the education system. They fall out of the tree and join the red shirts.

What is needed is a complete overhaul of the education system not an abandonment of it. When I say complete overhaul that includes the way the teachers are educated also. It will not help to just put in a new system if the teacher can not adapt to it.

I look to a two generational time gap to get the universities turning out properly trained teachers and introduce real education into the school system.

Thailand has the intelligence out there it is just that they have refused to develop it. In fact stifled it. I hope this is a priority of the new government. Properly educated Thais will be the end of the need for coup's.

Just my opinion.

No question this scheme was poorly administered and thought through.

Does anyone remember when we first introduced calculators in school. Back in the days those were a bit expensive. In my country all students were told to have one next school year. Those who could not afford it were given grants or subsidies.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Yes, if that's the choice. Better than wasting 10 plus hours a day regurgitating facts and information memorizing that you won't EVER need again in your life....

When were an SAT or a Pytagoras complex mathematics score OR any certain brainwashed violent propaganda history doctrine lessons from the past ever been practical in your life, huh????

I used the Pythagorean theorem just last week when writing a JavaScript program for my Android phone to determine the nearest Sky Train/subway station. Will be replacing it with Vincenty's formula for more accurate distance calculations as soon as I get the time.

The daughter uses math all the time to modify cooking recipes and sewing patterns. And now that she has a Samsung tablet, she's also interested in writing her own little apps. Using Tasker and AutoVoice, she has developed her own digital assistant in JavaScript that responds to recognized speech; just like Siri, only considerably more complex. She uses random numbers to vary the prompts spoken by the digital assistant so it is not predictable or boring. It really is pretty cool.

At the age of 18, she uses Microsoft Excel and some rather complex financial formulas to forecast the future of her investments based on average rates of return. And the spreadsheets are all configurable so she can easily calculate what ever she wants whenever she wants.

There's little chance her talents would have flourished had she spent her life in a tree.

I learned early in life that if the only tool one has is a hammer, they are forced to address every problem as if it were a nail.

A good education provides children with tools so they can have a better life; and the more tools the better.

You won't get that from sitting in a tree, and you won't get that from tablets that don't work.

Edited by Piichai
  • Like 1

I had a different up bringing than yours I was taught to think not brainwashed.