Indian woman caught at Suvarnabhumi Airport smuggling 1.62 kg 'ya ice'

webfact

Indian woman caught at Suvarnabhumi Airport smuggling drugs

BANGKOK, 27 May 2014 (NNT) - Customs officials at Suvarnabhumi International Airport have arrested an Indian woman who was found to be smuggling 1.62 kilograms of crystallized methamphetamine or ‘ya ice’ worth a total of 6.5 million baht.

Mitu Mandal, an Indian kindergarten teacher, was apprehended by police at the airport as she was traveling to Thailand.

The young woman confessed that a Nigerian acquaintance of hers had paid her 50,000 rupees, which is roughly around 20,000 baht to smuggle the drugs into Thailand.

Statistically, the number of airline passengers who smuggle drugs into Thailand has been on the rise.

Therefore, the Customs Department has ordered its officials to strictly monitor any passengers suspected of smuggling drugs.

At this point, the police have sent Ms. Mandal to the Narcotics Suppression Bureau to hear the charges against her.

She will be prosecuted for violating the Narcotics Act and Thailand’s drug laws.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-05-27 footer_n.gif

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, the Nigerian dealer gets to carry on looking for mules? Couldn't they have offered her a lesser charge if she delivered the drugs and the police got the next up in the ladder?

Or she's lying, playing on stereotype thinking.

• Like 1

So, the Nigerian dealer gets to carry on looking for mules? Couldn't they have offered her a lesser charge if she delivered the drugs and the police got the next up in the ladder?

Make the seizure and get a headline, it's easier.

• Like 1

Indian smuggler paid for by a Nigerian. It is driving me crazy on my visas here, what category do the Nigerians fall in? Please clean them all out.

That is an extremely poorly thought out comment. Next time they catch an English pedophile will you be suggesting clean out all English men.

No i will agree you small minded person. Read the story again and re-post if i am wrong.

• Like 1

Indian smuggler paid for by a Nigerian. It is driving me crazy on my visas here, what category do the Nigerians fall in? Please clean them all out.

Not all Nigerians are criminals you know.

To use the phrase "Clear them all out" at best represents an unfortunate state of thinking.

And that is a charitable, benefit of doubt, assessment of the phrase.

Most of the ones in Thailand are

Evidence please and not sensationalist press reports.

• Like 1

Most of the ones in Thailand are

Evidence please and not

sensationalist press reports.

I an not going off sensationalist press reports I am going off my own eyes

The infestation of Africans down in lower Suk dealing drugs, the one who tried and failed to pick my pocket, the one arrested in Hua Hin where I live last week for supplying drugs to a bar

Stop apologizing for these people, they are causing problems with their illegal activities and yes it is the majority of them not the minority

So you have met every Nigerian in Thailand? Wow that's quite an achievement. I'm not apologising for anyone, but you cannot say everyone from a country is the same. Send the guilty to gaol, no problem there, but it is wrong to assume everyone is the same.

The vast majority of illegal activities here are home grown. To blame Nigeria is ridiculous.

• Like 2

To use the phrase "Clear them all out" at best represents an unfortunate state of thinking.

Really, Well if you have been to Sukhumvit Road between 3 and 15 you will understand.

More so, speak to many of the Thais who work and live in that area. Ask why so many places have signs ''No Africa Man'' or similar, especially in Freak Alley (That weird place between Soi 5 and Soi 7).

One chap I was chatting to the other week took a dolly from the Beergarden and was then shaken down by two African lads claiming the girl was one of 'their' girls and if he didn't pay them a fee, things could get unpleasant. This sort of thing doesn't endear them to the working lasses in that area.

I wonder if those making outraged comments realise that they are a cog in the global drugs network. The drugs, had they have got through the airport would have found it's way to them in Lwr Suk, then off elsewhere with some other unfortunate mule.

I doubt the African community there are teachers or in the Diplomatic service of their home nations. Can you think of any other trade which could surreptitiously support such a large community? They can't all be living off the earnings from the handful of African hookers in that area.

Every now and again the authorities have a 'clear out' and numbers drop drastically. One night a few months ago while walking down a back alley towards Soi 5 there were officers stopping people for ID. Being a law abiding chap I took my place in a short queue behind one officer. I was then waved me away by another giggling officer who told me "Thank you sir, no Farangs, only Africaaaaaaaa or ALab man...."

Edited by HeavyDrinker

That is an extremely poorly thought out comment. Next time they catch an English pedophile will you be suggesting clean out all English men.

That's because everyone can type, so it's useless thinking before typing a comment.

Would I be right to ask how many responsible expats here ( in Thailand ) still have problems with their visas?

• Like 1

Really, Well if you have been to Sukhumvit Road between 3 and 15 you will understand.

I have been there and as far as I know the whole of Nigeria does not live there, in fact an extremely small percentage of a percentage of a percentage of the country is to be found there.

Believe me I understand the prejudice in your mode of thinking.

Thankfully I don't share it.

Mode of thinking?? What? Well please get some new glasses as you seem to be blind, either that or deluded. They are all at it ! Please don't ask me to translate this as i can't be bothered anymore, anyone who has been around the area know the truth, If you think diffrent thats OK with me. Bet you would not live near the M---- H---- would you !

• Like 2

Yes, well said.

lee b, hang you bigoted head in shame !

• Like 1

I have been there and as far as I know the whole of Nigeria does not live there, in fact an extremely small percentage of a percentage of a percentage of the country is to be found there.

Mode of thinking?? What? Well please get some new glasses as you seem to be blind, either that or deluded. They are all at it ! Please don't ask me to translate this as i can't be bothered anymore, anyone who has been around the area know the truth, If you think diffrent thats OK with me. Bet you would not live near the M---- H---- would you !

So with your wonderful glasses can you see the what nationality the people you dislike so much are? No. It seems you are just a racist from the comments you have made. What about the black guys that are at home with their wives and children are they just waiting for their shift to start or could they be just be innocent of any crime, except in your mind.

Or to look at it more accurately just doing their job. If it had been reported that they didn't make the arrest at the airport doubtless you would have had a go at them for that. Authorities in Thailand are always in a no-win situation whenever you get involved

He's not referring to the whole of Nigeria, just the ones who are seen in the areas he referred to and "a very large percentage of a percentage" there are up to no good.

Or to look at it more accurately just doing their job. If it had been reported that they didn't make the arrest at the airport doubtless you would have had a go at them for that. Authorities in Thailand are always in a no-win situation whenever you get involved

Isn't extended enquiry doing their job ?

Think before you jump in.