Phuket Gov set to tackle stinking Kamala klong

webfact

Phuket Gov set to tackle stinking Kamala klong
Suthicha Sirirat

1401165782_1-org.jpg
Filthy water collects in a pool right in front of the new Novotel at the north end of the beach.

PHUKET: -- Conditions on Kamala Beach have worsened in the past couple of weeks, with a growing stink of sewage, and slime and algae covering large areas of the beach, the result of unrestricted dumping of foul waste water into the klong at the south end of the beach.

After seeing photographs of the condition of the beach supplied by The Phuket News, Gov Maitri Inthusut said that he would visit Kamala himself.

He noted that Kamala Tambon Administration Organisation has requested a budget of B570 million to build a waste water treatment plant in the village.

Gov Maitri has assigned each of his three vice-governors the job of solving specific problems of foul waste water in Phuket klongs.

The problem of waste water flowing from Nong Harn onto Karon beach will be the responsibility of V/Gov Jamroen Thippayapongtada.

V/Gov Somkiet Sangkhaosutthirak will look after Klong Bang Tao and the klong in Kamala, while V/Gov Sommai Preechasilpa has been assigned to look after the problems of Klong Panieng and Klong Bang Yai.

“During the dry season, these problems are always happening because the water gets trapped for a long time. Some of the waste water is bad, but not all of it; most of the BOD values of the water passed [the relevant standards].”

Biochemical oxygen demand, or BOD, is a measure of how much organic waste – sewage and kitchen waste, for example – there is in water. The more waste there is, the lower the amount of oxygen.

“The conclusion is to not to let the water be trapped for a long time. That’s the main reason that water goes foul.

“For example, in Klong Bang Yai we are pumping out waste water sediment and flushing with good water.

“But if we are going to solve the problem of the whole system, business operators and local people must not release waste water into the klong in the first place. Waste water has to be treated before it is released [into the klong].”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-gov-set-to-tackle-stinking-kamala-klong-46492.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-05-27

The island is nothing more than a filthy toilet and nothing like what you see TAT promotional leaflets. It stinks and filthy why people waste their money going there I will never know. Went once and never ever again. Sewage bowl.

• Like 1

I went with Mrs. Nomad to pick up our laundry at the new self serve laundromat in Rawai the other day. I followed the outflow pipe and noticed the dirty, soapy water from the washing machines was piped directly into the storm drains in the street. I am not particularly surprised by this, but I have to wonder is it the norm for all businesses in Thailand to discharge all their untreated gray water into the creeks which of course kills everything living in them and ends up in the sea? If so, it's no wonder all the klongs are filthy. This certainly can't be legal. I would really like to find a "green" way to wash clothes here.

IMG_20140519_130430.jpg

IMG_20140519_130425.jpg

IMG_20140519_130421.jpg

IMG_20140519_130415.jpg

I went with Mrs. Nomad to pick up our laundry at the new self serve laundromat in Rawai the other day. I followed the outflow pipe and noticed the dirty, soapy water from the washing machines was piped directly into the storm drains in the street. I am not particularly surprised by this, but I have to wonder is it the norm for all businesses in Thailand to discharge all their untreated gray water into the creeks which of course kills everything living in them and ends up in the sea? If so, it's no wonder all the klongs are filthy. This certainly can't be legal. I would really like to find a "green" way to wash clothes here.

IMG_20140519_130430.jpg

IMG_20140519_130425.jpg

IMG_20140519_130421.jpg

IMG_20140519_130415.jpg

Joe, this is absolutely the norm.

There is virtually no way for the local tessaban to control this. They never have. Thailand, land of the free, where everyone does what they want when they want.

This canal is not black because of sewage it is accumulated grey water from restaurants and the rest.

It is a crying shame what they allow to go in the drain.

• Like 1

The island is nothing more than a filthy toilet and nothing like what you see TAT promotional leaflets. It stinks and filthy why people waste their money going there I will never know. Went once and never ever again. Sewage bowl.

This comes from one invention. That ever so clever idea of the shop house. A house where u can put any type of business you like into a residential area with no industrial waste management.

Want to open a bakery? Put it in a shop house. Want to open a car mechanic? Put it in a shop house. Want to open a launderette? Put it in a shop house.

Where to put the water? In the drain. Far more concerning are markets and their battery of restaurants.

Where does it all end up? In the drain. Tons of it, all going untreated into the sea in the resorts. Some have basic treatment.

The worst is sriracha and pattaya. In srixacha the water from 2 massive markets washes down a drain the length of the sea front past hundreds of shops all stinking on its way straight into the sea.

And people wonder why the drain stinks. It has the accumulated water from 200 food and fish stalls in it. It is a mess as are most drain systems in the beach areas.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What you say may be true about parts of the island, especially if you only visit the sleaze pit called Patong, it is definitely not true about the whole of Phuket. There are many beautiful parts of the island that are relatively pristine, and many very nice people as well.

I agree that there are many very nice people in Phuket but I am interested to know where the "relatively pristine" parts of the island are, especially when it comes to the beaches.

Can't the filthy polluted klongs just be airbrushed right out of existence just like in the tourist brochures?

This news has to be published on tourism websites. Once the tourism drops then the amount of pollution and effluent drops.

;-)

Edited by ClutchClark

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What you say may be true about parts of the island, especially if you only visit the sleaze pit called Patong, it is definitely not true about the whole of Phuket. There are many beautiful parts of the island that are relatively pristine, and many very nice people as well.

I agree that there are many very nice people in Phuket but I am interested to know where the "relatively pristine" parts of the island are, especially when it comes to the beaches.

Laem Ka, Mai Khao, Nai Thon, Banana beach to name just a few, not hard to find if you go looking

• Like 1

“But if we are going to solve the problem of the whole system, business operators and local people must not release waste water into the klong in the first place. Waste water has to be treated before it is released [into the klong].”

​No s**t Sherlock. Another all talk no action news story. Some things never change.

Maybe at the moment. When the rest of the island is totally destroyed and polluted by greed the parasites will be moving to more pristine areas to feed and destroy it

Maybe at the moment. When the rest of the island is totally destroyed and polluted by greed the parasites will be moving to more pristine areas to feed and destroy it

Yes, yes, yes....you keep banging on how Phuket is a crap-hole and you'd never live there, yet, you haunt the Phuket sub-forum like some envious ghost.

Yes, yes, yes....you keep banging on how Phuket is a crap-hole and you'd never live there, yet, you haunt the Phuket sub-forum like some envious ghost.

No I don't haunt the fhuket sub forum I responded to a topic on the Thai News Forum. Take it up with admin not me and ask them not to show the sewer in the main news arena.

I never go to the Phuket sub forum just the Thai news area.

Most, if not all of these small businesses dump their grey water into the storm drains. Do they have a choice, other than installing a very expensive system for their business?

@ NomadJoe: Don’t blame your laundry service. Blame the money grubbing dill holes that fill their pockets with tax dollars and never really fix anything.

No I don't haunt the fhuket sub forum I responded to a topic on the Thai News Forum. Take it up with admin not me and ask them not to show the sewer in the main news arena.

Yes you do. Look at the name of THIS sub-forum. .

Edited by LivinginKata
insult emoved

Yes you do. Look at the name of THIS sub-forum.

Check out the Thai News Forum. That is where I came across this bloody story and not in the bloody sewers of the Phuket forum.

Actually chooka is 110 percent right this story was published in the Thai News Forum. That is where I found it and I definitely was not surfing the Phuket forum. Don't think I ever will either as some appear very aggressive if outsiders look at thier private forums. Phuket is dirty, smells and attracts all the undesirables from around the world. Was a decent place 25 years ago but has now shot past Pattaya as Thailand's toilet.

• Like 1

Check out the Thai News Forum. That is where I came across this bloody story and not in the bloody sewers of the Phuket forum. I won't stoop to your sewer responses of calling people names, just look at the Thai Visa News forum then drag yourself out of the toilet and apologise if you are big enough.

I don't see it chooka. Show us where it is the Thailand news section. Admit it, you have a secret love affair with Phuket and stalk her like a spurned lover.

Edited by Kooweerup

Yes you do. Look at the name of THIS sub-forum. Idiot.

Actually chooka is 110 percent right this story was published in the Thai News Forum. That is where I found it and I definitely was not surfing the Phuket forum. Don't think I ever will either as some appear very aggressive if outsiders look at thier private forums. Phuket is dirty, smells and attracts all the undesirables from around the world. Was a decent place 25 years ago but has now shot past Pattaya as Thailand's toilet.

So important you had to post it three times.

110% correct? Not just 100%? Another idiot.

I just checked. It is not in the Thai News forum, only here.

Guess chooka can stuff an apology where the sun don't shine.

Check thai news forum, then Thailand live Tuesday, page 2 if I recall. Definitely there. You really need to chill just a little.

^ Guys, if you click a link on either the main TV landing page or in the "Thailand Live" thread with "Phuket" in the title and "-forum-...-phuket-" somewhere in the link, then you should know you will be taken to the Phuket forum. If you post it will be in the Phuket forum.

The comments about Phuket as a whole being "nothing but a filthy toilet", and a "sewage bowl" are borne from pure ignorance apparently by people with a an axe to grind who have not seen the other 95% of the island outside of Patong. Phuket is the size of Singapore. With few exceptions, every other beach on the island is very nice. Not all are perfect, but most are very nice.

• Like 1