No water since one week! A hard life in isaan

Sandman77

Run, get back to the civilized world even there you will be amazed how little Thais care about bothering the neighbors...

We regularly visit my in-laws up country, but never sleep there, so we can always go to the hotel when we've seen enough. Most of the times it's my wife who says let's go to the hotel ;-)

"it's my wife who says let's go to the hotel"

And you pay

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ermmmm it's his wife atycib, why would you say he has to pay? Marriage is a joint partnership for most people remember? They pay, not he. Well apart from people who have no trust in their 'life' partner and therefore I struggle to understand why they bother to marry in the first place.

Sounds like now the house is finished (swimming pool and all!) she is indeed trying to drive the poor bugger out of "her" property.

Issan is just full of sad stories like this and I feel genuinely sad to hear them. On a trip earlier in the month to the Mrs village one of the farrangs I speak to at the local hangout was living in rented room as the wife had thrown him out. Hard not to be suicidal when you invest your life savings in a home you dont own.

God knows why so many of you do it

I'm sorry that I am laughing but this has the makings of one of the all time best Thai Visa threads.

You shouldn't be laughing, but try to give the man some support.

He needs it.

Unfortunately, our English is not as good as yours, but you can see the trouble and anxiety he is in.

If you want to nominate the best Thai Visa thread, try the one that the guy is asking if he can get his money back after he found his g/f is cheating on him.

I didn't have a go at his English, good on him for having a crack. I was laughing because so much is wrong and to spit it all out in one post made for amusing reading.

I mean we start out with no water in the village and then proceed to cover:

People burning coal.

Wife telling him to either fit in or move out.

He gets in trouble for leaving the fan on inside a room and his wife gets aggressive as a result.

He fears his wife.

She ignores his health and requests to not burn plastic.

Good God my man! Flee for the hills. You are obviously not cut out for village life and your wife has zero respect for you and you are scared of her.

MeMock, you always know how to make people upset about your posts. Didn't you read that they have a 70 % functioning relationship?

The OP might not know that the money for the coal will finally reach his own pocket, if he buys their business, orders some Mia Nois for massage, etc..and finally grows some Gaggerli.( A German nickname for testicles) .

Just wondering where the other 134.5 % of their non- functioning relationship went to.-.facepalm.gif

Edited by sirchai

Thanks for all the great topics!

It's real very strange how similar relationship problems in Thailand are!

I think I must try it with diplomacy!

But when Thais cannot read you,

The questions may never stopped ,!

But the problem is not currently presented!

Diversion a problemis not easy for westerns, because we learn , from childhood to clear a problem out!

Thais learned via versa!

Instead of run away from a problem

Maybe the secret aswer,of this bihavior, is somewhere hidden in the budism itself, but Iam not sure about this!

We can talk English , but no other people in village , except a woman in a food shop !

No other farangs here!

Today the daily smoke, has been replaced, by the mosquito controll programm,

after rain was coming !

So the good news , our water tank is full again!

There are always farangs near by, where are you?

I'm sorry that I am laughing but this has the makings of one of the all time best Thai Visa threads.

You shouldn't be laughing, but try to give the man some support.

He needs it.

Unfortunately, our English is not as good as yours, but you can see the trouble and anxiety he is in.

If you want to nominate the best Thai Visa thread, try the one that the guy is asking if he can get his money back after he found his g/f is cheating on him.

How's this for support.

Leave your wife IMMEDIATELY. Do not hesitate for a second and run as fast as you can.

Oh hang on, that's not the support most TV lads want to hear married to a thai wife that has no interest in him other than his funds, yet one day in hindsight may be the best!!!

And the OP thinks his relationship is 70% ok. Wake up slick, its 0% ok. Best you can do for your sanity and health [and maybe safety] is move as far away from that leech.

No sugar coating a relationship built on everything else other than love.

Sounds like now the house is finished (swimming pool and all!) she is indeed trying to drive the poor bugger out of "her" property.

Issan is just full of sad stories like this and I feel genuinely sad to hear them. On a trip earlier in the month to the Mrs village one of the farrangs I speak to at the local hangout was living in rented room as the wife had thrown him out. Hard not to be suicidal when you invest your life savings in a home you dont own.

Prime rule of farang investing in Thailand: Invest only that which you can afford to lose!

• Like 1

Prime rule of farang investing in Thailand: Invest only that which you can afford to lose!

Agreed. You don't need to run around being suspicious or acting like everyone is trying to make money out of you every single time money is mention.

Although some common sense could be good. There's a difference between an urgent loan for rent blablabla since rice money still haven't appeared, or repeated money related questions on daily basis...

Also, if you agree to lend money in a case similar to the first example, then don't expect to get anything back. If you do then that's great.

if you don't then start to be suspicious.

You still don't need to judge them all. There might be reasons. (I've personally borrowed money with all intents to pay back, but then didn't get the money I expected to pay back with etc.) However, it's an alert flag.

If you will start to act greedy, people will dislike you and to be thrown out of the family one day or another shouldn't come as a surprise.

But you also need to stand your ground. In a Thai-manner way. This shouldn't be too hard. You don't need to explain your western perfect theories.

Simply say you don't have enough right now and can't help.

If they love you, they will not try to suck cash from you. If not.. Well, then you're used. Question is who started the bad relationship.

Even though many westerners seems to think they did everything right, I've seen so many examples where they could be seen as acting superior towards other family members, which isn't really a good way to make long-lived ties here.

I talked yesterday to the OP on the phone and he is based in Buriram. Seems to be a nice guy (36 years) from Austria and a very calm guy.

Someone from Buriram and who speaks German could advise him more as I am a long way from him.

I feel for the OP. If he really is 70% happy with the relationship it may be better to work it out than to look for another one. And on another note, do they recycle plastic in Issan? Most people in GF's village are still burning it.

Recycling is definitely done. It's a cottage industry. Not only plastic, but glass, cardboard, paper and metal. A guy comes around our place every couple of weeks and buys it! You only get a few baht because he re-sells it to a recycling yard, but it's better than burning it!

I talked yesterday to the OP on the phone and he is based in Buriram. Seems to be a nice guy (36 years) from Austria and a very calm guy.

Someone from Buriram and who speaks German could advise him more as I am a long way from him.

Coffee Corner opposite from Buriram Raj Uni had a good bunch of German guys in there, the few times I have visited. Maybe worth a visit????

Nothing on Buriram expats forum about this.

Not so sure that this is an Isaan issue as you suggest. Many of us actually like/chose to live here. I would suspect that for every failed Thai/Farang relationship where it all ended in tears in Isaan, there are 10x that number in Jomtienski/Patong & the other usual sexpat hangouts. That being said, I've said this before, those of us that do well in Isaan, tend to be those who were loners and/or the wandering spirit types who don't need that daily contact with others. The Jomtienski failures just tend to be just the loser type who fall for the bar girl during their 2 week millionaire phase.

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Isaan might have a couple of sad endings with farangs but I do know many farangs that have been married for a long time and they are still happy.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Isaan might have a couple of sad endings with farangs but I do know many farangs that have been married for a long time and they are still happy.

I've only been married to my Isaan gal for four years, but I have to say they are some of the happiest years of my life. I didn't buy a sack of goods when I met her. I took my time and got to know her, her friends, and her family before I even thought about marriage. I knew her a total of two years before we got married. It seems like a lot of these poor blokes just wade into a relationship without giving the slightest thought to checking "the details". I can relate. My last marriage was just that, and I got my ars* burned big time. Live and learn.

Show me a man who has never had a problem with a Thai Woman.

Elton John- Frank Zappa- Jim Morrison- Freddie Mercury -Janis Joplin- Jimmy Hendrix- and a lot more... .-bah.gif

Edited by sirchai