Proper well water filtration system. What comes first?

Resa

We get very conflicting information right now. We have an 80m deep well, with quite some fluoride and iron but the water that comes up is clear.

One guy says:

well -> whole house filter 1 (carbon, manganese) -> whole house filter 2 (resin) -> stainless tank -> pressure pump -> house (for shower and so on)

And another guy says:

well -> stainless tank -> pressure pump -> whole house filter 1 (carbon, manganese) -> whole house filter 2 (resin) -> house (for shower and so on)

And a third guy says:

well -> some sort of aeration unit so the water gets some oxygen -> stainless tank -> pressure pump -> whole house filter 1 (carbon, manganese) -> whole house filter 2 (resin) -> house (for shower and so on)

From reading other threads here this might make sense?

well -> basic single cartridge sediment filter -> stainless tank -> pressure pump -> whole house filter 1 (carbon, manganese) -> whole house filter 2 (resin) -> house (for shower and so on)

But with the last solution do I still have enough pressure to move the water to the house? (It does not have to get up any floors, its all on ground level).

Would be fantastic if we could get some recommendations what makes sense and what not.

Edited by Resa

What is the water pressure from your well like? if it's too low (or too high) filtration abilities of the "sand" style filters can be compromised - those types of filters have a min/max flow rate that must be adhered to. That could explain the quotes with the additional holding tank and pump.

As for using a cartridge filter first in line, that sounds really expensive for ongoing maintenance. We use a 2500 Baht cartridge as our final filter, and it needs replacing every 4 months or so. If it was first in line I'd imagine it probably would last a month or more.

Our polypropylene cartridge (sediment only) is nothing like that expensive, not sure exactly how much mind, I'll have to check next time I'm near the shop.

We only replace when the flow to the tank gets too low, but that's from the city water supply so not totally relevant to our OP.

I have a well bore hole and have the following setup installed:

1. Water gets pumped from well to a 2000l holding tank,

2. Water is then pumped through a 5 stage filter setup,

3. The clean water is pumped to a second 2000l storage tank,

4. When there is demand for water a third pump with pressure tank pumps clean water to the house,

5. The kitchen tap has a 6th stage via installation of an eSpring filter, this water is pure and suitable for drinking. All other sinks, showers take water direct from the second clean water holding tank.

My main 5 stage filter setup is as follows:

1st stage > Manganese filter

2nd stage > Carbon filter

3rd stage > Resin filter

4th stage > 2 x 5 micron filters

5th stage > Chlorinator

6th stage > eSpring filter (only installed in kitchen, the built in eSpring carbon filter removes the chlorine and the UV light destroys any bacteria that the Chlorinator does not)

The system is controlled by a control panel with level switches in both tanks. The filter system requires a backwash every 2 weeks which is done by selecting the pump to manual mode which then takes very little time.

See attached pics of my setup:

post-124565-1401450516424_thumb.jpgpost-124565-1401450516424_thumb.jpgpost-124565-14014505617627_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by ThailandTom1
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

You can't take any chances with the water you drink. I'm surrounded by farm land which is often sprayed with all sorts of chemicals that most likely would be banned in a western country. My filter system removes everything from pesticides to harmful bacteria, the water is soft and does not stain. Most land in Thailand is heavy in iron hence the red colored ground, you need a good filter to remove all is iron and copper. I don't buy any water.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

We are looking at filters. We live out in a village a pump our water out the ground into a tank, then have a second pump to bring it into the house.

The water doesn't seem too bad most of the time, though sometimes can be white and cloudy. And in the rainy season, our clothes end up with dark blotchy stains on them from washing. Difficult to get that out.

We would like to get a filter system before the tank to clean the water up good enough for washing so the stains on our clothes don't occur anymore. After that we would like to get a drinking water purifier for inside the house.

I am not confused about the drinking water purifier, but i need advise about what to put before the tank?

We have been looking at the big stainless steel ones. Do we need one of them? or two? We see people with two sometimes, but we were told by a company we only need one. They even let us try to our for a few days and the water looked great., but they said it would cost 28k to buy, so we said no because we have seen similar looking ones in the shops for about 10k and we didn't know if they were being fair about the price.

I have also noticed some places which have a smaller blue plastic filter before the big stainless steel one, what's that for?

Just confused as to what exactly we really need. We would like to keep the cost as low as possible, of course. What the maintenance like on those big stainless filters? Does anything need replaced inside and if so, roughly how often and how much?

Thanks

P.S Ideally, i would just want one filter like this http://www.pratooautanomati.com/id11.html but i see people posting pictures online with several filter which look similar to this.

Edited by Water Buffalo

Perhaps this is not a perfect system, but it has proven very satisfactory for the past 15 years.

We have a 40 meter deep drilled well.

Water is supplied to a 10,000 underground tank via 2 pressure vessels with air charged bladders (accumulators), and a float valve in the underground tank. These tanks reduce constant cycling of the well pump when the pressure switch indicates the underground tank is full.

The underground tank has a submersible pump which maintains house pressure, again through 200 liter pressure tanks with bladders. The water goes from the pressure tanks, through filters prior to entering the house.

Drinking and cooking water has a separate faucet. This faucet has the typical three filter set up with a UV light.

I would recommend using filter housings of composite construction, rather than the stainless steel housings. Our experience with the stainless steel housings is the last only 5 or 6 years before corrosion causes the to begin leaking.

As mentioned, our system may not perfect for everyone, but it has worked for a number of years.

I should also add that the main well pump is on a timer, operating 1 hour twice a day.

PM me if you wish details.

Edited by Sealbash

• 6 years later...
On 5/30/2014 at 6:50 PM, ThailandTom1 said:

I have a well bore hole and have the following setup installed:

1. Water gets pumped from well to a 2000l holding tank,

2. Water is then pumped through a 5 stage filter setup,

3. The clean water is pumped to a second 2000l storage tank,

4. When there is demand for water a third pump with pressure tank pumps clean water to the house,

5. The kitchen tap has a 6th stage via installation of an eSpring filter, this water is pure and suitable for drinking. All other sinks, showers take water direct from the second clean water holding tank.

My main 5 stage filter setup is as follows:

1st stage > Manganese filter

2nd stage > Carbon filter

3rd stage > Resin filter

4th stage > 2 x 5 micron filters

5th stage > Chlorinator

6th stage > eSpring filter (only installed in kitchen, the built in eSpring carbon filter removes the chlorine and the UV light destroys any bacteria that the Chlorinator does not)

The system is controlled by a control panel with level switches in both tanks. The filter system requires a backwash every 2 weeks which is done by selecting the pump to manual mode which then takes very little time.

See attached pics of my setup:

post-124565-1401450516424_thumb.jpgpost-124565-1401450516424_thumb.jpgpost-124565-14014505617627_thumb.jpg

I live in Koh Lanta, I have ordered the Maganese Carbon & Resin Fitlers....  do I need the  micron filters & Chlorinator ? what are they used for ?

• 1 month later...

Yes you need these micron filter as the last stage. 5 micron is the standard used, however you can go smaller. This filter will remove the majority of toxins, metals and bacteria making it suitable to drink. A chlorinator will remove anything that manages to get through the micron filters and ensures any cysts or other dangerous bacteria is completely removed making the water safe to drink. You could also use UV in place of a chlorinator. If you install a chlorinator you should pass the water back through some form of carbon filtration which will remove the chlorine so you don’t have that smell in the water. For this purpose I have the espring installed at the kitchen sink where I fill up any drinking water.

you should get your water sample tested to determine the correct filtration for your area.

On 6/7/2014 at 7:58 PM, Beardog said:

Wow that looks hella expensive & way overkill. Is the water quality that bad out of the bore hole?

Almost every bore well in Thailand is contaminated with a strong content of metals. (iron and manganites).  That's why every filtering if pumped directly from the ground will be clocked by the rust very soon, needing frequent cleaning of the filters.

A simple trick I am explaining my long years struggling: the fresh water from the ground needs to be temporarily stored in a tank where the iron will oxidize within 2 - 3 days, the rust will drop to bottom.  Then only to let the water go through the filter system.      

Page back:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1219422-water-pump-for-water-thank/