The NCPO relaxes curfew from tonight

george

The NCPO relaxes curfew from May 28

Beginning 28/05/14 the nationwide curfew will be between 0001-0400. Other details unchanged.

-- thaivisa.com 2014-05-27

The Nation and the Bangkok Post report the revised curfew to be between midnight and 4am, which is correct?

0001 is one minute after midnight. I think it's safe to say they are both right-ish.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it starts tomorrow. So today is still under old rule and therefore curfew starts at 10pm. But as the new rule is in effect after midnight, curfew ends at 4am.

Following days it will be from midnight to 4am.

But in reality, does the military or police care if there is plenty of people on the streets celebrating their new freedom :)

You go home at 10 then come out at 12:01 till 1 am

Sent from my C1904 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Junta changes curfew time to midnight - 4 am

BANGKOK: -- The National Council for Peace and Order announced Tuesday night that the curfew period will be reduced to four hours a day from midnight to 4 am.

The new curfew time will take effect on Wednesday.

The change was announced in NCPO's 42nd order.

Now, the curfew is imposed from 10 pm to 4 am.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-05-27

Doesn't much matter, starting with tomorrow's curfew (technically Thursday), but I thought the current current curfew was 10 PM to 5 AM and not 4:00 AM.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

This time slot is to give a boost to the Thai sex trade. It's a promotional initiative. At 12:30 Johns will have to decide short time or whole night. When you do the math, it pays to do a little more time for more cost rather than rush it up. The Thai girls will benefit from this promotion and hence the Thai economy. Hats of to the girls, the real backbone of the Thai economy.

Can't see what all the fuss is about with this very limited restriction imposed by the military. I'm sure the curfew will be lifted altogether shortly

It"s just a sensible approach by the Junta to try to normalise life within the Kingdom

Early nights won't do most people any harm

Early to bed and up with the cock I say. It's possible to do so much before the temperatures warm up

Unfortunately my crystal ball says another election will be held some time in the future and,within months, the losing party or parties will be protesting on the streets again

It's akin to Egypt, Palestine, Ukraine and other, so called,'democracies'. Countries that are just not prepared to respect the democratic wishes of the majority

They cannot afford a curfew it would cost more than the rice scam

With a 4750 billion baht GNP and an average of 8% from its representing the tourist industry and an average of 7 % from it representing food/ restaurants bars and night and evening entertainment and with a loss of 20% of tourist since the coup and an average loss of income by 60 % by the last would mean a loss of 76 billion for the first and 200 billion for the last total 276 billion baht a year 5.3 a week.

The curfew was just a "show" of force, to begin with. Sort of like, "see what I can do"?

Now that arrogance is hitting many people's pocketbooks (sacrilege in Thailand), they'll give back 2 hours at a time. Maybe next one will be 2 am - 4 am.

Next thing we know they'll legislate morality.

Why have a curfew for 4 hours, why cant they just lift the curfew and be done with it.

Maybe they have there reasons ?

Sure. One of the reasons for the curfew is mass compliance with military rule. Everyone has to obey - it is an acknowledgement of the junta's power. Otherwise you might not know there was military rule at all. But having established that, they can let things return to "normal".

I wonder what they think will be happening that is a threat to national security between midnight and 4a.m??

If you know the streets should be virtually empty, then it gives the security forces less people to check and also means that any unexpected movement can be considered as suspicious. This greatly helps with hindering the movement of wanted people and arms.

A little bit of knowledge is a very dangerous thing. Todays winner is bigt116 and who has read one too many Tom Clancy novels.

bigt116 is actually right. As a former police officer of 25+ years I can say it is a tactic to stop people and vehicles in the dead of night when no-one is expected to be out. It can lead to some quote fortuitous findings.

While it is true that the Red Shirts did most of their attacks at night, I don't believe that is the primary reason.

If one drives around, they'll find a lot of soldiers in the streets. Having a curfew enables them to get some sleep, and cover the streets with much reduced manpower at night.

Edited by Piichai
  • Like 1

I have been questioning the reasons for curfew.

Here's what iv'e come up with

* Criminal activity happens at night when it's harder to see.

* If something bad happens at night the military can deal with it easier when all normal people are home.

* If something bad happens at night the normal people will be safe at home.

Ofcourse it does not solve all problems. But it makes it a bit easier for the military.

I hope it's over soon.

The curfew was just a "show" of force, to begin with. Sort of like, "see what I can do"?

Now that arrogance is hitting many people's pocketbooks (sacrilege in Thailand), they'll give back 2 hours at a time. Maybe next one will be 2 am - 4 am.

Next thing we know they'll legislate morality.

You are dead right mate. There is a whole class of people for whom the idea of freedom and enjoyment is total anathema.

And it's not just Thai military dictators; see the posts on here that constantly slag off anyone having a good time outside the poster's moralistic frame of reference.

"I'm always in bed by 10 o'clock, blah, blah. I feel sorry for anyone who can't do without a drink for 2 months etc."

It is all about control and running other people's lives; humiliation for the pleasure of it. It won't end anytime soon. The Suthepistas have opened a door that will not be closed easily.

Edited by DoctorB
  • Like 1

facepalm.gif Damn there goes the 10 - 5 special rate.cheesy.gif

Guess you will have to go and negotiate a midnight to four rate... would that count as short time?giggle.gif

For a lot of men it's always a short time, even when they wish it wasn't.

Bit of logic: curfew midnight-start change activates on 28 May but today is 27 May (ergo curfew still starts at 10 pm tonight). #Confused?

But finish at 4 am smile.png

Doesn't make a big difference whether it's 4 or 5am. Who gets up and is on the roads that early anyway, except shift workers, reporters etc. I'm glad that the curfew now only starts at midnight, 10pm was definitely way too early...sometimes with the traffic in Bangkok at 10pm you could still be stuck in traffic along Rama I or Sukhumvit etc. or still be stuck inside a shopping mall parking lot (such as Paragon) 2.5 hours after you first got inside your car...

it does make a very big difference to many thais like wet market sellers and shoppers as well as many street food vendors.

the khao man gai lady and the coffee lady on my soi are shopping by 4 and cooking and getting ready for morning trade by 5 am latest.

not every bodys lives revolve around shopping malls and being stuck in the car.

• Like 2

I wonder what they think will be happening that is a threat to national security between midnight and 4a.m??

If you know the streets should be virtually empty, then it gives the security forces less people to check and also means that any unexpected movement can be considered as suspicious. This greatly helps with hindering the movement of wanted people and arms.

A little bit of knowledge is a very dangerous thing. Todays winner is bigt116 and who has read one too many Tom Clancy novels.

Reading One Tom Clancy novel is reading one too many. :(

The movement of arms from the North by road to Bangkok.

They can't move them during the day ?

They haven't been too successful at that...!!

Touche, though without a curfew they would prefer to move them under the cover of darkness.

Also, do you remember how many grenade attacks the red shirts perpetrated on the PDRC camps during the day that killed over 20 and injured over 700. There were a lot more done at night. Cover of darkness again.

How many grenade attacks were the red shirts responsible for, djjamie? You say you know, tell us how you do and which red shirts were responsible. Or shall we put this down to the good old TVF "every one knows" standard of evidence.

It's funny, I've given you this citation many times, invariably you never reply to it:

Police seized an M79 launcher, six M79 grenades and four hand grenades along with several other weapons in a raid on Thursday night, and discovered that the grenades had the same lot numbers as those used in earlier attacks.

Pol General Aek Angsananont, deputy commissioner general of the Royal Thai Police, said the weapons were found near the rally site of red-shirt group outside the National Anti-Corruption Commission headquarters. The police had come over to check the area after two M79 grenades were fired at the NACC compound earlier in the night.

Aek said the weapons had been left on a deserted plot at the mouth of Soi Nonthaburi 46 in a green cloth bag. The cache seized included two M79 cartridges, a .45 revolver with 44 rounds of ammunition and 39 rounds of 7.62mm calibre ammunition and four RGD-5 hand grenades.

A police source said the M79 grenades had the same lot number as those fired at the Thai PBS head office on February 26, while the RDG-5 grenades had the same lot number as those used in previous attacks in Bangkok's Bang Na area, Chon Buri and Nonthaburi.

Apart from seizing the war weapons on Thursday night, police also arrested four armed suspects.

The suspects were identified as Chuchart Chusiri, 33; Ratanapong Inthararangsi, 35; Samai Boonnarn, 60; and Kompakorn Kohkaew, 46; and were found hanging out with the security guards of the red-shirt People's Radio for Democracy group near the NACC headquarters.

Chuchart was caught carrying a shotgun with 38 rounds of ammunition, while Ratanapong was carrying an AK-47 assault rifle with 120 rounds of ammunition and two RGD-5 grenades. Samai had a home-made gun along with 11 rounds of 9mm ammunition, while Kompakorn was nabbed as he is wanted for car theft.

So, Red Shirts, caught immediately after a grenade attack on the NACC, with grenades bearing the same serials as those used in previous attacks. Are you going to acknowledge reading this now or you'll do the usual act of pretending not to see it?

Besides that, and more recently, we have the cache of weapons belonging to Red Shits with one of the guns matching bullets used in the Trat attack (which also included grenades being fired)

I think we have all realised by now that Fabbie is a died-in-the-wool red shirt apologist, so there's nothing that you can do or say (including the provision of conclusive evidence) that will get him to change his colour.

Even after the good General has sorted all this mess out, Fabbie and his equally bloody-minded apologists will no doubt say that things would probably have been far better if they have left the Shinawatra government alone ... whereas the rest of us can see that the country would have been bankrupt and in a state of anarchy...!!

Bit of logic: curfew midnight-start change activates on 28 May but today is 27 May (ergo curfew still starts at 10 pm tonight). #Confused?

I received my TV text with the news after 2100 and a little later a friend who works in a very small restaurant called to ask if I knew what was happening as it was confusion at her work. Nice touch, a Thai having to ask a foreigner to explain what her government was up to, as if I could,

It seems the customers were beginning to leave to comply with the 2200 curfew when Thai TV broke the news so customers decided they could stay on and couldn't / wouldn't accept the original time was still in force so they wanted to drink to 2300 then leave. I have no idea what happened as I switched my phone and retired.

The timing of the announcement was poor.