young guy in Nongbualamphu, friends are hard to find

Smurkster

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have heard them called "the work permit" brigade.....

and apparently I am pompous and naive...

Just enjoy your life and do what you think is best but keep as much private infos to yourself and not share it with some farangs on Thai Visa. Ignore most of those Thai Visa Brigade that asking you for a WP etc.

In my 25 years in Thailand I have been badly screwed only once but it was a farang friend. BTW I came to Thailand when I was 22 years and wish you all the luck for make it another 25 years in Thailand.

• Like 1

Smurkster!!

There has been a thread, I read it yesterday, how falang envy towards falang and they cant really appreciate when other falangs have it good here inThailand. Do not take to much attention to their posting, it is worth nothing really.

me myself live up north like yourself, but in Chaiyaphum. I like these motorbike-rides as well. But unfortunately to much milage inbetween us... So good luck ... if you ever close to Chaiyaphum, just drop a PM and we can meet up.

Glegolo

Hi

Completely agree with Glegolo.

Some people are getting early dimentia ...forgetting who they are or what they want from life.

We do not need to be sarcastic here on this Website specialy if someone is polite and nicely offering just friendship.

Many of us farangs should keep together whatever country we coming from ...this is my look on life.

I am here to study Thai language and soon ask to stay here for my retirement but even having Thai woman I have feelings being lonely very often .

So , understand your feelings mate.

If you could leave a bit closer we could a have nice chat together even this weekend including our ladies.

My advice?

Don't look to hard for friendship ....it will come for sure . Friendly people always find each other.

Best wishes

Gigman

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why is it, that when someone posts a serious, honest, question or topic on TV, they almost always get hammered with a bunch of stupid comments from twits with nothing to offer but drivel? If you don't have anything constructive to add, why comment? just shut the hell up!

WHY??? I am not sure where you think you are living....but here on Earth....there are many stupid and inconsiderate people....most are morons....most have no lives....many live on this site....the mods can not control them all (even though they do give effort). Countries invade other countries....gov'ts spy on anyone they want....they condemn whistle blowers who are suppose to be protected....and still you ask why. This is par for the course....see you in the club house.

I totally agree with you. Now, I will shut the hell up. wai2.gif

I am deeply dissappointed in you. First I thought it was a great post you did, about telling people to shut the hell up instead of being like idiots... Now you turned over and got taken from behind... what´s the matter with you really.... Stand your ground towards these guys that has absolutely nothing to offer here but shit trash talk....

Glegolo

Why is it, that when someone posts a serious, honest, question or topic on TV, they almost always get hammered with a bunch of stupid comments from twits with nothing to offer but drivel? If you don't have anything constructive to add, why comment? just shut the hell up!

WHY??? I am not sure where you think you are living....but here on Earth....there are many stupid and inconsiderate people....most are morons....most have no lives....many live on this site....the mods can not control them all (even though they do give effort). Countries invade other countries....gov'ts spy on anyone they want....they condemn whistle blowers who are suppose to be protected....and still you ask why. This is par for the course....see you in the club house.

I totally agree with you. Now, I will shut the hell up. wai2.gif

I am deeply dissappointed in you. First I thought it was a great post you did, about telling people to shut the hell up instead of being like idiots... Now you turned over and got taken from behind... what´s the matter with you really.... Stand your ground towards these guys that has absolutely nothing to offer here but shit trash talk....

Glegolo

Hey Glegolo,

Did you actually READ the comment from joshstiles? He offered a broad viewpoint about the general stupidity of the world, and I think he nailed it. I still agree with him 100% I would suggest you refer to my OP in relation to your comment.post-185769-0-36531600-1401418003_thumb.

I live about 40 kilometers from Nong Bua Lamphu and you are welcome to drop by anytime you are in the area.

I am an aged pensioner but live as comfortably as is possible and I enjoy visiting with english speakers.

I do not drink, smoke or chase wanton women. I am not bi-polar that I know of.

Be warned, however. I am a Republican.

PM me if you are interested.

Hey Chuck (though I've posted this before): Henry Fonda and James Stewart were best friends for almost 50 years starting from when they were both young stage actors. Stewart was an arch conservative; Fonda a flaming liberal. When asked how they could remain friends for so long , they would say: We don't discuss politics.

I live about 40 kilometers from Nong Bua Lamphu and you are welcome to drop by anytime you are in the area.

I am an aged pensioner but live as comfortably as is possible and I enjoy visiting with english speakers.

I do not drink, smoke or chase wanton women. I am not bi-polar that I know of.

Be warned, however. I am a Republican.

PM me if you are interested.

Hey Chuck (though I've posted this before): Henry Fonda and James Stewart were best friends for almost 50 years starting from when they were both young stage actors. Stewart was an arch conservative; Fonda a flaming liberal. When asked how they could remain friends for so long , they would say: We don't discuss politics.

My comment was more tongue-in-cheek than you seem to have taken it. Never mind.

Some of my best friends have been Democrats and we have never come to blows. I have, in fact, even forgiven some of them for their wasted lives.

Smurkster has aleady replied by PM saying he can overlook my affliction. I can live with that and I am praying you can as well.

Cheers.

• Like 1

I will be the first. I thought it was rather hard to set this up. How many people do you employ to get your wp?

I am thinking of doing this myself along with other things.

If it is under the table better to not post about it herewai2.gif

nope not under the table at all, 100% legit, WP and all...

maprao gave you pretty good advice and it seems that you don't know much about the laws here.Better to keep a low profile, just a tip.

not really sure what you are getting at, I have a work permit...so wherein lies the problem? please, I'd love to know how you are so privy to my situation...

I suspect the real issue here is not your work permit or the paperwork for your company. It’s that you are operating a language school or language centre from your apartment. As I understand it there are laws about where a language school can be located – I think it deals with stuff like having to have a classroom of certain dimensions and which is separate from any living accommodation, and also having to provide a separate bathroom/toilet for students. The premises have to be licensed by the local area education office and subject to periodic visits by their officials to check that the conditions are being observed. I think there is information about these requirements on one or other (or perhaps both) of the main Thailand teaching websites - Ajarn and Thailand Teaching Asia.
If you are operating a language centre or school from non licensed premises, the main danger to your business could come from Thai school teachers in your area who get wind of your operation and become jealous/envious of your success. If you are taking private students away from them, and therefore depriving them of a second income, they may report you to the authorities. Or simply having a disagreement with a Thai teacher could lead to them reporting you. Advertising your business or posting about it on the net could also bring it to the attention of the education authorities. As others have alluded, if you do not have the appropriate licenses it might be best to keep you head down, rely on word of mouth for new business, and be very careful not to antagonise any of the Thai school teachers in your area.
You say you already have all the paperwork necessary so I guess that means your apartment has already been licensed to be used as a school. From things I’ve seen on the teaching websites this is something that I’m sure a lot of foreign teachers have thought about doing before, but have been discouraged by the red tape involved in getting a license to permit premises to be used as a school. If you would be willing to post about your experiences in obtaining the license for your premises I’m sure there are many others who would then follow in your footsteps (me included!).
All that said, good luck to you – it sounds like you are making a success of this venture. Oh, and good luck with the friend finding too – I’d be happy to be a mate if I lived near you, but I don’t, I’m just a little too far away midway between Kaset Sombun & Nong Bua Daeng, but there are plenty of foreigners in the Chumpae area although even that may too far of a jaunt for you.

I suspect the real issue here is not your work permit or the paperwork for your company. It’s that you are operating a language school or language centre from your apartment. As I understand it there are laws about where a language school can be located – I think it deals with stuff like having to have a classroom of certain dimensions and which is separate from any living accommodation, and also having to provide a separate bathroom/toilet for students. The premises have to be licensed by the local area education office and subject to periodic visits by their officials to check that the conditions are being observed. I think there is information about these requirements on one or other (or perhaps both) of the main Thailand teaching websites - Ajarn and Thailand Teaching Asia.
If you are operating a language centre or school from non licensed premises, the main danger to your business could come from Thai school teachers in your area who get wind of your operation and become jealous/envious of your success. If you are taking private students away from them, and therefore depriving them of a second income, they may report you to the authorities. Or simply having a disagreement with a Thai teacher could lead to them reporting you. Advertising your business or posting about it on the net could also bring it to the attention of the education authorities. As others have alluded, if you do not have the appropriate licenses it might be best to keep you head down, rely on word of mouth for new business, and be very careful not to antagonise any of the Thai school teachers in your area.
You say you already have all the paperwork necessary so I guess that means your apartment has already been licensed to be used as a school. From things I’ve seen on the teaching websites this is something that I’m sure a lot of foreign teachers have thought about doing before, but have been discouraged by the red tape involved in getting a license to permit premises to be used as a school. If you would be willing to post about your experiences in obtaining the license for your premises I’m sure there are many others who would then follow in your footsteps (me included!).
All that said, good luck to you – it sounds like you are making a success of this venture. Oh, and good luck with the friend finding too – I’d be happy to be a mate if I lived near you, but I don’t, I’m just a little too far away midway between Kaset Sombun & Nong Bua Daeng, but there are plenty of foreigners in the Chumpae area although even that may too far of a jaunt for you.

When we started doing this from our two floored apartment, we had to follow all these regulations too (started in 2012)...dividers and such, a waiting area for students and two bathrooms, one on the first floor and one upstairs for our private usage...in the beginning it wasn't all legitimate, but we have sorted all the pieces out now....and believe me, it wasn't all a cake walk.

As it turns out there is one other English teacher who teaches privately in the area....he is Thai and has become quite a good ally...infact, a good load of my students have been passed on from him to me...when he feels his students have gotten all they can out of him, he has recommended me to them for further education. I see him quite frequently and we chat about the progress of certain students... we had lunch the other day...actually without this teacher, I would not have the base of students that I have now...so no one is stepping on anybody else's toes...

It really all comes down to being respectful and being able see where your niche fits ....at the end of the day, people seem to be happy that there is a service like this in the small town I am in...I am always respectful, have a smile and just do the best I can...if there are people out there who are going to hate on my go at it.... I cannot really do anything about that...if people want to second guess my status that is also fine...at the end of the day all I can go by speaks for itself..... I am not here to prove anything to anyone..

And Thank you, I appreciate your good sentiments.

and of course I would love to provide details of what it takes to set up something like this for anyone else interested ( a trust worthy wife and family is a pretty key part).... I am not here to wish against anyone else's success, in fact I'd love to see other people being able to replicate what I have going in other provinces and towns...it is a lot of hard work for sure and who is to say that it will still be going strong tomorrow...but what's wrong with rooting for other people to have a good go at it? I mean after all, aren't we all just trying to get by in this wild and crazy life with some sort of passion and constructive venture?

Edited by Smurkster
  • Like 2

I'd be quite interested in hearing how your experience setting up your language school went, as I'm hoping to set one up within the next 2 years.

Maybe you could post a thread in the Teaching section about your experiences :)

• Like 1

Hey Chuck -- I not only lived with the Republicans I lived with the born-again Republicans in Oklahoma City. BTW This is from an Alec Baldwin appearance on David Letterman 29 OCT 2008 -- my rough transcript beginning around 8:00 it's on YouTube:

AB My brother Stephen is a right-winger -- let's call a spade a spade here.
DL It's possible to admire a person and still disagree with them politically
AB Yes -- like when I get together with my brother. I love him and I have a great time with him ... we have fun ... he makes me laugh. But then you'll be in a restaurant with him and he'll be eating his soup and then he'll lean up and go:
"You realize most of the people in this restaurant are going to H_ll"

Well said thumbsup.gif

Coming back to the original comment of the OP.

I do understand in some ways what he is getting at.

I moved to Thailand when I was 38, moved to Isan when I was 41. I'm now 47.

What I found when I started frequenting the local bars in Surin, was that if I wanted to hang out with Westerners from time to time, this meant spending time with people who were generally:

a - much older than me

b - or drank a lot more than me

c - or were less educated than me

d - all of the above

For a while I tried fitting in, and then for many years I just didn't hang out in these places. But a few years back now, starving for a conversation in English for a change, I started hanging out in these few bars again. This time around, I was a few years older, and having lived in Thailand for some time, a lot more tolerant smile.png

To my surprise, despite some glaring incompatibilities, I made a handful of solid friends. Sure, some of them are 20-30 years older than me. But these old guys are pretty interesting at times. Sure, some of them drink too much. But they can be fun. Sure, some of them are not the brightest sparks in the world, but when you are downing a few Leo watching F1 on satellite, do you really need to be discussing it with Einstein?

My advice to the OP. Stay clear of the obvious screw ups, and try and be a little more compromising with the others.

Edited by Cam Khao
  • Like 2

I'm in my mid 30s & always go to Udon city on a Saturday and stay the night there with the missus and kid if your ever about there we can have a beer. I'm not into walking though unless there is air con in the building! PM me or add me on skype if easier user ID: jetbhat