Best place to live in Thailand

I spent a week east of Rayong near the Novatel Hotel. There is some new Condos. The beach is quiet and you are within a long walk or a bike ride to the small village that is the jumping off spot to Koh Samed. There are enough Farangs in the area to provide company. Check it out. Novatel is a very nice hotel. There is A telco Lotus nearby. Secluded or busy as you please. For frenetic take the ferry to Koh Samed.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funnily enough all the people that say how great it is to live in Pattaya don't live there coffee1.gif they live in Jomtien or Naklua or Chon Buri or "near" Pattaya. Now I wonder why is that....

Try to have a look at the Rayong province...look for places nearby such as : Ban Chang, Ban Phe (near Koh Samet), Laem Mae Phim (beautiful beaches and not overcrowded, no criminality), only 106 Km from Pattaya and about 2;30hrs drive from BKK.

Reading some of this stuff gets to be a bit worrisome for me -- I'm a younger guy who hasn't met or befreinded a lot of people and, after after reading some of these stories about how many friends they know or how many important people they have met, I'm beginning to worry that when I get around to doing so there won't be anybdy left worth meeting or befriending.

Original Post: I am looking at settling in Thailand, I have been to Patong, Hua Hin, Chang Mai, Chang Rai, Koh Samui and Isaan.

Patong,ok but expensive for accommodation and not really Thailand, Hua Hin, didnt feel like Thailand, Chang Mai, liked the feel of the place but would a beach location, Kou Samui, too quiet and limited as it is an island. Isaan, mm no.

I would like a quiet beach location with the option of having a walk about for a few beers and shops, accommodation with a proper kitchen where I could have internet and decent TV. I have been advised to stay clear of Pattaya although I will have to go for a look myself.

OP - After making a couple of my own suggestions and reading others - please keep in mind that the word "Pattaya" is like a time bomb ready to go off on any TV posting - I keep thinking that you might consider Thong Sala on Koh Phangan. It has a wonderful open dining market in the center of town, and many beach front bars. You can find a great place to rent for under 10,000 baht a short scooter ride from town. If you want excitement you can go to the Half Moon or Full Moon parties, or half dozen other Moon parties. When the Full Moon Party isn't happening, Haad Rin is a spectacular beach.

Downside is that you need to go to Kho Samui or Sarat Thani to fly out, but the ferry is right there a Thong Sala, and they go all the time. The internet can be a problem, but they keep saying they're working on it. Don't go there four days either side of the Full Moon festival, as most hotels will double their rate and require a five day booking. No problem if you plan a trip in low season not during Full Moon.

Not sure OP has thought this through! Quiet Location but many places too isolated? There are condos and there are condos and there are places on a beach! We have lived in Pattaya, Chiang Mai, BKK, Sukothai, Nong Khai and Krabi/Trang. For a beach I think Krabi is way the best. Town with most things..airport..easy to spend weeks/weekends on a beach. Ranong..no..sea not nice..Trat/Chantaburi..sea not nice..Cha-Am is a real choice..but very Thai and not much going on there or in Hua Hin...Prachuap and Chumphon the same. Once you get south of Nakhon Si the sea is horrible...S of Trang very Islam...........We however decided that if we wanted a beach we could get on a plane! So now we live, mostly, in Mukdahan...fantastic ...quiet..beautiful Mekhong River...easy trips to Laos and Vietnam....only disadvantage id having to go to Ubon to get a plane!.....And we have a reason to be there which is family,,,trouble with almost everywhere else was..no reason to be there!!

PS Agree about Nha Trang..............you can get there BKK-Ho Chi Minh and or Ho Chi Minh -Danang. But Vietnam is not Thailand!!

Jamie, check out Bangsaen (Bang Saen) as it seems to fit your criteria. It is relatively inexpensive, very Thai and has a beach. There are some nice eateries in the main road leading to the beach and they do have some nightlife (Thai). Another positive is that it is not far from either Bangkok or Pattaya if you are after a bit of a western fix. I lived there quite happily a few years back and it is on my list as a possible retirement destination.

• Like 2

The only place worth settling down in Thailand is Bangkok, but it doesn't have a beach. It is relatively expensive, but there are some quiet places, even in the centre. Other places are good for visiting or even owning a holiday home, but for everyday living, Bangkok is number 1.

You need to be more specific as to where in Bangkok. It would be like me saying to stay in New York City or Atlanta. You got to narrow it down a bit and state what advantages one location has over another.

When I stayed in Bangkok, I usually stayed with a friend or in the Isara City Hotel, both located in Wong Wien Yai. This is the cheaper part of Bangkok; i.e. clean box rooms with private toilet for 1500-2500 baht/month. (It's better to have one of your [female] thai friends show you, they are not usually advertised). Close access to BTS and about 60-80 baht tuk tuk ride to Little India (Pa-ru-wat) and China Town (Yao-wa-rat). Fresh fruit juices with no extra sugar, salt, etc added, as well as the street food stalls and shops typical of what you would find in India or China town in most cities.

I was looking for something to get away from tourist, but not completely 'off the grid'. So Chumphon Town ended up being the answer. $300/mo for a bungalow on the beach? It was hard to pass up and just been in the general area ever since. I can still get away with not speaking Thai fluently, and still function near the beach. But this is more like a final destination when you want to settle down for a bit or a passageway onwards. Your first stops should be in Pattaya, Patong, Chiang Mai, certain areas of Bangkok, etc. I think this is what the OP wanted. But he will still need to go and visit the unseen places; maybe even contact a few people privately and see what he wants.

edit: There will be trade-offs with about any location you pick. The main tradeoff is convenience to buy or service certain appliances in the Phuket, Pattaya, Chiang Mai, and certain Bangkok areas vs everywhere else.

Reading some of this stuff gets to be a bit worrisome for me -- I'm a younger guy who hasn't met or befreinded a lot of people and, after after reading some of these stories about how many friends they know or how many important people they have met, I'm beginning to worry that when I get around to doing so there won't be anybdy left worth meeting or befriending.

When you meet these people in person, it is much different than the trolling in the [general] forums. I just so happen to come on the forum and see this thread, so I chimed in.

Edited by 4evermaat

Pattaya has become one of the great sewers of the world.

Generally low class (very) visitors - too many from countries and cultures who cause most of the world's violence - dirty streets, smelly sewer pipes, scum of the earth hookers and thieves walking down the beach sidewalk day and night, and very dangerous (read any weekly local newspaper for the latest daily crime storie).

Those are just a the few reasons to NOT COME HERE! In the 10 years I've lived in this weird country, Pattaya has gone from a fun place to a cess pool. It is inconceivable anyone with any intelligence would like it here.

I have lived in Pattaya for over 20 years and can tell you that if you think Pattaya has gone from a fun place to a cesspool in the 10 last years then you're sorely mistaken. Pattaya hasn't changed that much in the last ten years. Sure, it's gotten bigger and invaded by Russians, but the city is in fact far less "seedy" than it was 20-30 years ago.

In the eighties the working-girl-to-tourist ratio was much higher than it is today, and you could go weeks between seeing a family on vacation. Today, that has all changed

• Like 2

I have visited and stayed in Pattaya twice, and am presently making plans to reside there under a long-term visa arrangement. It is laid back and relaxed, but large enough to make it interesting. Proximity to the beach is an absolute MUST for me. I have to say that I would prefer clearer sea water, but it is warm and very enjoyable. Lastly, the ease of access to Bangkok is probably the cherry on the top!

Lucifer, on 28 May 2014 - 07:26, said:

Don't go to Pattaya.

Alright for a couple of weeks holiday but a terrible place to live

I wonder if you guys have had a good look around the East (Dark) side around Mabrachan Lake?

Perhaps your only experience of Pattaya is the city centre?

You don't need to live in Pattaya....

some people might want to be close enough for the options that pattaya offers.

You would then spend a weekend or two a month in Pattaya....to get the plumbing flushed out.

Or perhaps some shopping/ fine restaurants.

Edited by slipperylobster

Respectively, I would recommend Jomtien Beach area.

As a US Expat, I stayed there for approx. 5-years and still go back there.

Great food/local resturants. Walking distance to the beach. Local songtail's are available for transportation to go to Pattaya, if desired.

Numerous local shops

Jomtien Beach residence includes a lot of Thai's and European long term visitors.

It doesn't have any of the Pattaya party goers but does have some bars and night entertainment. if desired.

I run on the beach daily and never any problems.

I wonder if you guys have had a good look around the East (Dark) side around Mabrachan Lake?

Perhaps your only experience of Pattaya is the city centre?

I'm sure that there are lots of nice places around, but the city does seem to attract more than its fair share of "wrong uns", both Thais and foreigners.

If you believe Stickman, its Nong Khai. Lots of nightlife options that weren't there 5 years ago, good restaurants and none of the crap you have to put up with in BKK or Patts - I expect that the locals might have a few words of wisdom for anyone packing their bags after reading his latest column ;)

If you don't like Hua Hin, how about Cha Am or Pranburi. Both have beaches but still remain 'Thai' to a degree but are located close enough to good shopping and facilities for when you need to stock up on tea bags and farang food.

Having said that, some find Cha Am a little boring but if you're looking for the quiet life it could be for you.

if you are a decent guy: welcome

Get a base just outside Bkk. Pathum Thani, Nontaburi, Saraburi, Pakchong,but no father than Korat. That way out of the rat race but close enough to hunt a few rats when you like.

Thanks for all the replies, Pattaya is the one that seems to be suggesed the most albeit I have been told to avoid it like the plague, full of Russians, vagabonds and even the the girls from Isaan give it a wide berth, but nevertheless I will be going there on my return in a few weeks.

No one has suggested Krabi ?

are you looking for a Thai experience, or to live with a bunch of tourists and expats ?

No done the 100% Tourist/expats thing in Tenerfife for a few Winters. I don't want to be surrounded by people wearing Union Jack shorts etc and looking for an English Breakfast. I did spend some time in Siracha which was aThai experience, I was the only farange there. My GF lives there, from Isaan originally.

In general I don't mind expats but would like the Thai culture with the option of mixing with the Tourist/expats.

are you looking for a Thai experience, or to live with a bunch of tourists and expats ?

No done the 100% Tourist/expats thing in Tenerfife for a few Winters. I don't want to be surrounded by people wearing Union Jack shorts etc and looking for an English Breakfast. I did spend some time in Siracha which was aThai experience, I was the only farange there. My GF lives there, from Isaan originally.

In general I don't mind expats but would like the Thai culture with the option of mixing with the Tourist/expats.

avoid the "tourist" beach resorts if possible. Smaller towns are better. Locals not so infected by bad habits or bad reputation of foreign visitors. You are more likely to be treated well there. Sure you already know this. Good luck.