Best place to live in Thailand

Thanks for all the replies, Pattaya is the one that seems to be suggesed the most albeit I have been told to avoid it like the plague, full of Russians, vagabonds and even the the girls from Isaan give it a wide berth, but nevertheless I will be going there on my return in a few weeks.

No one has suggested Krabi ?

I think you should consider settling down in Chonburi , closer to Rayong and you will avoid all the russians and too many tourists and dirty beaches.

Bang Saray is about 10-15 kms from Pattaya and everything is different there, still a few western restaurants and bars . Or even further away in Rayong , so plenty of options . The good thing about choosing a location that is not too far away from Pattaya is all the western food places, you will not find this anywhere else in Thailand.

Edited by balo

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the replies, Pattaya is the one that seems to be suggesed the most albeit I have been told to avoid it like the plague, full of Russians, vagabonds and even the the girls from Isaan give it a wide berth, but nevertheless I will be going there on my return in a few weeks.

I think you should consider settling down in Chonburi , closer to Rayong and you will avoid all the russians and too many tourists and dirty beaches.

Bang Saray is about 10-15 kms from Pattaya and everything is different there, still a few western restaurants and bars . Or even further away in Rayong , so plenty of options . The good thing about choosing a location that is not too far away from Pattaya is all the western food places, you will not find this anywhere else in Thailand.

I like the sound of Bang Saray, I am looking at a place with a few bars, bit of music and some restaurants. How much is a taxi into Pattaya and are there any shops for bits and bobs in Bang Saray also is there any places to rent long term with a decent kitchen where I cook the basics ?

Don't go to Pattaya.

Why not? Naam lives there. It must be ok! Jingthing also lives there, and aside complaining about the baht bus, he's still alive! No danger I see if you don't have an attitude that all Thai things should be cheap!

I never thought Pattaya was bad, at a level of dangerous, until I saw comments here.

At my old condo, an ACM (Air Chief Marshal) tried to be dorminant and authoritative. The next thing happened was I saw him get slapped in the face by someone inside a BMW!

Check my posting about Aonang - its in Krabi. Nice little town, even has a Starbucks and nightlife.

Gotta love how quickly almost every thread about 'Where should I live' turns into a Patts-bashing epic ;)

Someone claimed that everyone who supports Pattaya doesnt actually live in Central Pattaya - they live well away from the nightlife precinct - I live 5 minutes from Big C Extra and 10-15 from Central World and these are my thoughts after a whole month in said location:

- whether its just low season or whatever, I havent been bothered by the Russians at all - they do their thing and I do mine

- if you cant handle (crap) music being played at ridiculously loud levels, I would avoid everything from Beach Road to Third Road

- depending on your POV, Soi Buakhow is either one of the most vibrant streets in Asia or a chaotic nightmare - I'm 50/50 right now

- anyone travelling to Pattaya for the 'beach' really needs to see a doctor - havent set foot on the sand in years

- there are many Thai people here who live their lives - and run businesses - with very little interaction with Farang, Even closer to the bars, you'll find sois which are mostly houses and shopfronts dominated by Thais - no Russian signage and not a whole lot of English either.

- any suggestion that you wont find a genuine smile from a Thai in Pattaya is - IME - total BS. No question that there are some very mercenary types here, but thats the same in any tourist hotspot I know of. If you want to see unhappy Thai people go to central Bangkok.

- Walking St, at least for me, is best left to the tourists

My biggest single annoyance isnt the bars or tourists - its not even befuddled expats staggering around Big C - its the traffic, particularly the motorbike riders. Throw in buses ferrying tourists to and fro BKK and crossing the larger roads here can be a real adventure. Some of the young guys I see tearing around on motorbikes seem to be doing so purely for the sheer hell of it - particularly annoying when you are trying to find gaps in the traffic.

I hope the OP finds what he's looking for.

• Like 1

Gotta love how quickly almost every thread about 'Where should I live' turns into a Patts-bashing epic ;)

Someone claimed that everyone who supports Pattaya doesnt actually live in Central Pattaya - they live well away from the nightlife precinct - I live 5 minutes from Big C Extra and 10-15 from Central World and these are my thoughts after a whole month in said location:

- whether its just low season or whatever, I havent been bothered by the Russians at all - they do their thing and I do mine

- if you cant handle (crap) music being played at ridiculously loud levels, I would avoid everything from Beach Road to Third Road

- depending on your POV, Soi Buakhow is either one of the most vibrant streets in Asia or a chaotic nightmare - I'm 50/50 right now

- anyone travelling to Pattaya for the 'beach' really needs to see a doctor - havent set foot on the sand in years

- there are many Thai people here who live their lives - and run businesses - with very little interaction with Farang, Even closer to the bars, you'll find sois which are mostly houses and shopfronts dominated by Thais - no Russian signage and not a whole lot of English either.

- any suggestion that you wont find a genuine smile from a Thai in Pattaya is - IME - total BS. No question that there are some very mercenary types here, but thats the same in any tourist hotspot I know of. If you want to see unhappy Thai people go to central Bangkok.

- Walking St, at least for me, is best left to the tourists

My biggest single annoyance isnt the bars or tourists - its not even befuddled expats staggering around Big C - its the traffic, particularly the motorbike riders. Throw in buses ferrying tourists to and fro BKK and crossing the larger roads here can be a real adventure. Some of the young guys I see tearing around on motorbikes seem to be doing so purely for the sheer hell of it - particularly annoying when you are trying to find gaps in the traffic.

I hope the OP finds what he's looking for.

Cheers, good post, will do Pattaya on my return

• Like 1

Don't go to Pattaya.

Don't take this "Lucifer" character seriously; he is not even playing 'Devil's Advocate', for Pete's sake ! ! !

I have happily lived "near" Pattaya (10 minutes from my home to down-town) for 20 years (with my brilliant Thai' wife, who's a lawyer) and, because I need to be near a large body of water, since I am an avid yachtie') I love it here ! I also spent about 1.5 years (working) in Hua-Hin and that, to me, has got to be one of the more boring places in Thailand, with predominantly Scandinavian expats, crappy beaches (love the horses though !) and totally unfit for yachting .

"Living-in-Pattaya" does not mean that one has to frequent the "exciting areas" all the time; in fact I never see the Walking Street, unless I have overseas visitors here and then it's sort-of fun for me too, because I hadn't been there for ages.

Look; Pattaya has a lot of stuff and one simply has to be selective:

1. Brilliant Restaurants

2. Brilliant Shopping

3. Easy access to Int. Airport & Bangkok

4. Easy access to places like Koh Samet, Ban-Chang, Ban-Amphur etc. etc.

5. 4 Great Hospitals within easy reach

6. A huge variety of Nationalities, with limited, yet large number of 'real' folks.

7. Last but not least: The sailing around Pattaya and its access to soooo many beautiful locations is endless

As long as you're selective; Pattaya is a great place to live and it is also considerably cheaper than most other "destinations" in Thailand, where the sea is close & begging ! ! ! !

PS: If you decide to check it out; jut PM me and I'll point you in the right direction; with pleasure.

coffee1.gif

And as soon as you learn Russian you'll really feel at home there too ;-)

jaapfries, on 29 May 2014 - 08:35, said:
Lucifer, on 28 May 2014 - 21:26, said:

Don't go to Pattaya.

I have happily lived "near" Pattaya (10 minutes from my home to down-town) for 20 years (with my brilliant Thai' wife, who's a lawyer)

Any kids?

i claudius, on 28 May 2014 - 19:25, said:
mickjn, on 28 May 2014 - 18:19, said:
Lucifer, on 28 May 2014 - 07:26, said:Lucifer, on 28 May 2014 - 07:26, said:

Don't go to Pattaya.

Alright for a couple of weeks holiday but a terrible place to live

Another tourist who only knows beach and second road

No not another tourist

Lancashirelad, on 29 May 2014 - 03:54, said:
mickjn, on 28 May 2014 - 18:19, said:
Lucifer, on 28 May 2014 - 07:26, said:Lucifer, on 28 May 2014 - 07:26, said:

Don't go to Pattaya.

Alright for a couple of weeks holiday but a terrible place to live

I wonder if you guys have had a good look around the East (Dark) side around Mabrachan Lake?

Perhaps your only experience of Pattaya is the city centre?

Around the Lake is OK but I wouldn't want to live there full time

jamie2009, on 29 May 2014 - 06:08, said:

I think Krabi was suggested a few times.My Mrs owns a place there,nice place

jamie2009, on 29 May 2014 - 06:08, said:

I think Krabi was suggested a few times.My Mrs owns a place there,nice place

There is a large islam population in Ao Nang. The leaders seem to be exerting more influence and the intrusive chanting from the loudspeakers has gotten louder and more intrusive. Far more women are wearing headscarves and new loudspeakers have been erected to ensure everyone can hear the call to prayer.

Lived in Pattaya for a few months, draining. My favourite place is Hua Hin but it's starting to get expensive. Avoid anywhere on Phuket like the plague. If you want a quiet and simple life just about any small baan in Issan will do. Too many variables, everybody finds a home eventually.

The only place worth settling down in Thailand is Bangkok, but it doesn't have a beach. It is relatively expensive, but there are some quiet places, even in the centre. Other places are good for visiting or even owning a holiday home, but for everyday living, Bangkok is number 1.

Bangkok is a dirty, filthy, crowded, horrible place. you could not pay me to live there. advising newcomers to live there is crazy.

nice water pic

I find bkk inhabitable for humans at 95 degrees every day

chiang mai ws best, had all the restaurants, and great weather

I missed the burn season,

and, I missed the ocean,

never saw a good one in thailand and didnt make it to phuket, yet