60 too old

Search function isn't there for nothing.

Because of mandatory retirment age for Thais, it is harder to get jobs over 60 but not impossible. I actually thought it was now raised to 65 but not sure. Usually for people with special skills or qualifications they overlook everything.

• Like 2

I was disappointed to learn that my school turned an otherwise qualified candidate away not because he was too old (he's 58), but because he LOOKED too old. So it does happen, although I'm glad to see from the above replies that it's not as common as I might have thought.

Edited by attrayant

I was told that this term any EP and general school farang teacher had to be under 50 to get a contract, however, I had been teaching at a Government Primary school since I was 53, and now turning 57. I guess at this particular school they wanted to flip better paid staff with lesser paid staff like those from Cameroon and elsewhere, so they can pocket the difference of monies coming out of BKK. My other two younger teaching associates from South Africa (22) and the U.K. (25) have both resigned in the last month. All the six original Filipinos whom they had on staff left 'en masse', some of whom had worked for the school for the previous six years. They voted with their feet because they were offered casual positions paying less rather than contract positions. Happy to name and shame the school.

• Like 1

I'm 55 now.My school said I could stay until I died.

... yeah.

and you scale of pay (if you don't mind me asking)

On 38k now (Chanthaburi)... rises by 1k/month each year. Capped at 45k. Or so they tell me.

I am in Sakon Nakhon province. I did the TEFL at Text and Talk with Steve Beachy. Very good he was too but I went down the private teaching route. I am now 60 and last year schools were interested but I turned them down.

I have two friends here, neither have TEFL or did any previous teaching of any description. One is 62 and at a technical college and the other 70 this year and in his second year at a Matayom school.

Perhaps it very much depends where you are and as another poster said what the competition is. Here even the big schools in towns have problems getting longer term rather than short contracted through agents native English speakers and in the area there are quite a few Philipino and Camaroonian teachers.

If my friends can get jobs there must be possibilities for other people.

Thai teachers in their 40s act like they are ready to retire, boring and unmotivated. If you are 70 years old and naturally acts like in your 40's, schools and students will love you, and respect you more than any of theirs Thai teachers. Own experience....and I am not a native English speaker.

• Like 1

Thai schools usually gauge eveything by appearance. They look for youthful looking white people mostly. They of course would be reluctant to hire someone of that age because honestly because the work schedule is kind of heavy. Some schools have as many as 25 classes per week. While that doesn't sound like a lot, teaching actually takes a lot of time and energy, not to mention time spent making lesson plans, ironing clothes, and grading. If you can handle that it's fine, but some schools may not believe you can actually do it based on your age.

While it would certainly make it more difficult to find it job it wouldn't make it impossible

Well, like myself, know many farangs here that are late 60s and have been trying to teach their Thai partners for many years without problem, except they are slow learners, so have to teach them over and over again.

Sorry, just had to lighten it up a bit here.

• Like 1

Well I guess I heard wrong, it doesn't sound like people have been fired because they are over 60. It has always been harder to get a job over 60, but there were still some about, but I heard the government said no more, but I guess I heard wrong.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well I guess I heard wrong, it doesn't sound like people have been fired because they are over 60. It has always been harder to get a job over 60, but there were still some about, but I heard the government said no more, but I guess I heard wrong.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Try a fresh battery in the old hearing aid then ...... just kidding. ..!!!!!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I don't see the Thais turning down falangs for age. I work in many schools and the age thing doesn't really apply to white teachers.

Bull!

One word replies are...so short. Please expand your thoughts. :)

Some schools have as many as 25 classes per week. While that doesn't sound like a lot, teaching actually takes a lot of time and energy, not to mention time spent making lesson plans, ironing clothes, and grading.

Oh my god THIS.

A friend asked me how many hours I teach. When I told him 24 periods, he said "oh, only 24?" I nearly punched him in the neck.

• Like 1

I don't see the Thais turning down falangs for age. I work in many schools and the age thing doesn't really apply to white teachers.

Bull!

One word replies are...so short. Please expand your thoughts. smile.png

Because most people in this forum know its bull. I was also turned down for TWO jobs for this new term, why? Well, I am 52. And countless others as well. They want Brad Pitt types.

I'm 55 , never been turned down. I've turned down more offers than I can remember. There is a serious shortage of teachers. It's all about presentation, not age. A young fat dirty applicant will get turned down. An older neat professional looking gentleman will be turning down offers. It is what it is. BTW, I know of no one who has actually been denied a job because of age, and I taught in over 10 schools.

• Like 1