BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Issangeorge

60 too old

Thai schools usually gauge eveything by appearance. They look for youthful looking white people mostly. They of course would be reluctant to hire someone of that age because honestly because the work schedule is kind of heavy. Some schools have as many as 25 classes per week. While that doesn't sound like a lot, teaching actually takes a lot of time and energy, not to mention time spent making lesson plans, ironing clothes, and grading. If you can handle that it's fine, but some schools may not believe you can actually do it based on your age.

While it would certainly make it more difficult to find it job it wouldn't make it impossible

While it is true that after 60 we cannot teach in universities or international schools,

Why not? Is there some regulation that says so?

• Like 1

Well, like myself, know many farangs here that are late 60s and have been trying to teach their Thai partners for many years without problem, except they are slow learners, so have to teach them over and over again.

Sorry, just had to lighten it up a bit here.

• Like 1

Regardless of age as long as you are financially sound and prepare for rainy days ahead.

I'm 55 now.My school said I could stay until I died.

... yeah.

ha, , do they know something you don't whistling.gif

(sorry, meant in jest )

Edited by attento

Well I guess I heard wrong, it doesn't sound like people have been fired because they are over 60. It has always been harder to get a job over 60, but there were still some about, but I heard the government said no more, but I guess I heard wrong.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well I guess I heard wrong, it doesn't sound like people have been fired because they are over 60. It has always been harder to get a job over 60, but there were still some about, but I heard the government said no more, but I guess I heard wrong.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Try a fresh battery in the old hearing aid then ...... just kidding. ..!!!!!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

...and I bet the girls (or boys) still pine for you during the holidays...

I have been teaching in Government Schools and universities and I am 73! No Probs

I don't see the Thais turning down falangs for age. I work in many schools and the age thing doesn't really apply to white teachers.

Bull!

Replies to a deleted post have been removed.

I don't see the Thais turning down falangs for age. I work in many schools and the age thing doesn't really apply to white teachers.

Bull!

One word replies are...so short. Please expand your thoughts. :)

Some schools have as many as 25 classes per week. While that doesn't sound like a lot, teaching actually takes a lot of time and energy, not to mention time spent making lesson plans, ironing clothes, and grading.

Oh my god THIS.

A friend asked me how many hours I teach. When I told him 24 periods, he said "oh, only 24?" I nearly punched him in the neck.

• Like 1

Bull!

One word replies are...so short. Please expand your thoughts. smile.png

Because most people in this forum know its bull. I was also turned down for TWO jobs for this new term, why? Well, I am 52. And countless others as well. They want Brad Pitt types.

I'm 55 , never been turned down. I've turned down more offers than I can remember. There is a serious shortage of teachers. It's all about presentation, not age. A young fat dirty applicant will get turned down. An older neat professional looking gentleman will be turning down offers. It is what it is. BTW, I know of no one who has actually been denied a job because of age, and I taught in over 10 schools.

• Like 1