60 too old

Well, the MoE told me recently that the rule is that 1st time WPs will not be given to people 65 and older in government or MoE endorsed schools, but that if a person already has a WP then it can be renewed past the age of 65. For truly exceptional candidates I imagine a waiver might be possible (btw, the rules are different for university lecturers).

My own experience is that older is usually considered better in Thailand, for sound reasons!

But a clean, tidy and wholesome appearance is even more important than age imho.

I think that applicants aren't necessarily turned down based on their age, simply another candidate is selected who is younger (As given the choice between two equal candidates, where one is in his late 20s vs another in his late 50s, the younger candidate will almost always be selected).

• Like 1

Once I have got to an interview stage I have been hired, but a few times I have been turned down by recruiters because the schools they represented were looking for someone younger.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I don't think the rules for Thai employees are the same as that for foreigners. For example, my wife is a civil servant, but the english (foreign) teacher in her college is not considered a civil servant. So the rates and conditions can be different. Certainly, in private schools, age is no barrier.

^ Thai civil servants have to retire when they are 60, but they can be rehired as consultants and continue teaching if they choose and their school needs them. As Culcine pointed out, these rules don't apply to foreigners.

I was 51 or 52 the last time I was in the job market. I got 4 job offers and took the one that looked best to me. Having said that, I wouldn't want to be starting from scratch at my current age - 57.

^ Thai civil servants have to retire when they are 60, but they can be rehired as consultants and continue teaching if they choose and their school needs them. As Culcine pointed out, these rules don't apply to foreigners.

That's my understanding. The post by the Text and Talk guy claiming you couldn't work in universities beyond the age of 60 appears to have been deleted.

I don't see the Thais turning down falangs for age. I work in many schools and the age thing doesn't really apply to white teachers.

Bull!

One word replies are...so short. Please expand your thoughts. smile.png

Because most people in this forum know its bull. I was also turned down for TWO jobs for this new term, why? Well, I am 52. And countless others as well. They want Brad Pitt types.

Brad Pitt is older than 50. So your 52 would be perfect then.

But I don't belive they will get any "Brad P types" with the salaries they pay here

I don't see the Thais turning down falangs for age. I work in many schools and the age thing doesn't really apply to white teachers.

Bull!

One word replies are...so short. Please expand your thoughts. smile.png

Because most people in this forum know its bull. I was also turned down for TWO jobs for this new term, why? Well, I am 52. And countless others as well. They want Brad Pitt types.

Brad Pitt is older than 50. So your 52 would be perfect then.

But I don't belive they will get any "Brad P types" with the salaries they pay here

Brad was born in 1963 which would make him 50. He is an exception because his genetics are so wonderful. The guy looks amazing for a 50 year old.

Most Thai schools want a 22 year old handsome boy with blonde hair and blue eyes. sad.png

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Absolute, Unadulterated, Crap!!!!

I was joking. :)

I was actually thinking about the Korean environment when i made that statement. In Korea they want young looking foreign teachers.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

All the six original Filipinos whom they had on staff left 'en masse', some of whom had worked for the school for the previous six years. They voted with their feet because they were offered casual positions paying less rather than contract positions.

Never heard of such a thing, either thing. Schools reducing the teachers to casual labor with no social or taxes and I assume paid in cash? And, Filipinos leaving "en masse" meaning they all left together. It would only make sense if they lived together which I guess is quite possible. Filipinos in my experience are held in higher esteem than farangs, be they white or young our old farangs. Sorry if off topic....but on topic, yes, age discrimination exists in several schools I've had dealings with aka taught at.