Soldier neighbour threatening me and girlfriend

Myran

6 months after you move out you may of course wish to revisit the parking lot there to reminisce, I'm sure his Fortuner with big rims and army decal on the front grille would be there.

Would be a shame if upon reminiscing you accidentally scratched along the side of it with your scooter.

as a joke over a beer it may (!) be ok ... 555

In practical terms, don't get even near that kind of "revenge thinking"... if that would become a habit and mode of operation you will be in trouble sooner or later... and may get an ulcer on the way....

Do it "Thai Style", just smarter: SMILE (...and move on to bigger, better, more interesting things...)

• Like 1

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 months after you move out you may of course wish to revisit the parking lot there to reminisce, I'm sure his Fortuner with big rims and army decal on the front grille would be there.

Would be a shame if upon reminiscing you accidentally scratched along the side of it with your scooter.

Unfortunately he only has a crappy Fino, but I won´t deny that it´s tempting to ram my 170kg Honda Bros into it. Preferably with them on it.

But you gotta pick your fights, especially in Thailand as many have pointed out. Better to suppress the urge to smash their freaking teeth in and just let it go. I´m losing too much sleep over it as it is, and I feel constantly on edge.

I´ll keep you updated on my shenanigans :)

• Like 1

I avoid the tit-for-tat approach. Often times it can result in an uncontrolled escalation of retatiations with violent results.

The goal is to achieve peace and quiet. Uncivil or violent behavior seems an odd road to take in achieving this.

A good example of why people should rent and not buy. If you owned the place it would not be as easy for you to just move out.

Maybe if you buy a Condo in a shit hole somewhere... What working class local Thai is going to be able to rent in a place where the monthly rent is from 20,000 Baht a month and higher ? none.

The OP must be living in a total dump if he's actually renting in the same complex that a local soldier can afford.

If you can't afford to pay a measly 600 dollars a month to rent in a proper place.. then why are you complaining?

http://www.expat-condos.com/view-talay-condos-2-9.html

Rent: 15,000 - 21,000 Baht

Edited by ve741

When this 'soldier' is a drinker I would back off. Because Thais have the tensency to go balistic when courageous alcohol in their system. If they only make noise, not drunk I wouldn't let get intimidated and search for his supervisors and worklocation. And show prints of this post to him so he is aware 10's of Angry Farangs might come to squeeze his willy.

Yeah my girlfriend is out checking out options for a new apartment now, but it still brings my **** to a boil to let people get away with crap like this, and having to retreat because the worthless owner of the apartment complex won´t throw people out when they act uncivilized.

This is Thailand, it is uncivilised!

You just have to learn to roll with it or learn the hard way.

Even if you are able to report this case to the soldiers superiors and have him reprimanded or evicted you'll only end up with an enemy with a personal grudge. In Thailand nothing is more dangerous then making enemies with people in uniform.

Easiest and most pragmatic solution is to move out, its not worth it trying to do the "right" thing.

Edited by smileydude

Everyone needs to sleep. I used to be kept up at night by partying teens. I discovered thst they did not like loud classical music played during the daytime when they were hung over sleeping. Shostakovich 7th symphony is good. It was composed to commemorate the seige of Leningrad and greatly demoralized the German soldiers. appropriate methinks. Watch for stray bullets.

• Like 1

When you move out spray paint on his door "Buffalo woman lives here" in Thai. If she is as much of a dingbat as you claim, it will piss her off immensely and you will be long gone. Might also take a toothpick and break it off in the door lock on you way out so they can spend money fixing it.

It's one of those annoying things that we have to accept when moving here,, "justice and common sense do not apply anymore".

I too find it very difficult when you are so clearly in the right. I am sorry to say this but when Thai people have a little bit of power or control it becomes a dangerous thing and more often then not it seems to be abused by that person. You only have to see what the government have been doing to realize that.

So, best thing to do is avoid the confrontation, your girlfriend has talked to them and nothing improved (in fact you have almost been threatened), the office are telling you to be careful because he is soldier (pathetic I know) so I think you should just swallow your pride on this one and do the safe thing,, get out,,

I know of many Thai's owning and renting in hi end condo's dear chap and some are paying significantly more than 25k month and the ones who have bought have paid more than THB 10 million in some cases...

Ya and I am sure they work as Soldiers and make noise 24 hours a day in those 25k+ monthly rentals or 10 million Baht places...

No? .. oh okay.

Live with poor Thai pigs or any lower class citizens in any country and you'll be exposed to their low class lives.

Clearly the OP is living in a low end complex if he's rubbing shoulders with a low life Thai Soldier... who probably gets paid 5,000 baht a month and pimps out his girlfriend

Get off your high horse, the rent here is 7,000 baht so it´s hardly a dump or a place where poor Thais live. Go pay a "pig" to clean your 25 mil Thong Lor penthouse if you don´t have anything useful to contribute. The people living here are all nice and respectful, with the exception of these two.

Edited by Myran

" so I´m gonna catch it on video either way, just to have something to back up my side of the story if something happens."

Hmm....

The video won't help either way if something happens and you're dead !

Don't push your luck. You are not in your home country and should behave like this. You are a foreigner in Thailand and should listen to what the locals advice you to do. Get another apartment and move on i life.

That's what I would do.

A good example of why people should rent and not buy. If you owned the place it would not be as easy for you to just move out.

Maybe if you buy a Condo in a shit hole somewhere... What working class local Thai is going to be able to rent in a place where the monthly rent is from 20,000 Baht a month and higher ? none.

The OP must be living in a total dump if he's actually renting in the same complex that a local soldier can afford.

If you can't afford to pay a measly 600 dollars a month to rent in a proper place.. then why are you complaining?

http://www.expat-condos.com/view-talay-condos-2-9.html

Rent: 15,000 - 21,000 Baht

So you think the solution is to pay a f*** load of rent!?

Then say at the 'classy' place, the next neighbour turns out to be a pain in the rear but now you put down a shed load of money on deposits/securities maybe a lot of rental up front so I'm not sure your 'throw the cash at it' attitude is the answer.

simplest way is to lodge a complaint with their unit head, just do it after you move. Even soldiers have to answer to someone and these idiots are no different. Just follow them to their unit one day, talk to their commanding officer and tell him that they are gathering there at night and issuing you and your partner with threats of violence if you complain, they will be raked over the coals and made to sort themselves out, more than likelky get hit with a lot of extra guard duties.

simplest way is to lodge a complaint with their unit head, just do it after you move. Even soldiers have to answer to someone and these idiots are no different. Just follow them to their unit one day, talk to their commanding officer and tell him that they are gathering there at night and issuing you and your partner with threats of violence if you complain, they will be raked over the coals and made to sort themselves out, more than likelky get hit with a lot of extra guard duties.

After all that shit is over suddenly you get whacked where nobody saw anything.........................Daft advice............Move out if you are not happy and NOT look over your shoulder chum...........thumbsup.gif

I'd even stay at a hotel until the move is complete. Might sound a bit extreme, but that is just what I would do in this situation. At least you will know that you and your girlfriend can sleep in safety.

Edited by Jay1

This isn't the west. He is basically the equivalent of a police officers now because of the coup. If he decides to cause greivous bodily harm to you with or without his buddies, he/they won't be punished to badly, therefore using the threat of punishment as a deterent isn't likely going to be effective in stopping him from administering a beatdown.

My suggestion to you is to tread carefully and relocate ASAP.

You have already been told straight to your face and your gf's face that they will NOT stop making noise and that you should watch your step.

The building staff also said they will not do anything.

Your gf is even reminded of the neighbor's intention when 'bumping' into each other at 7-11.

Soldiers are indeed very big at the moment.

The answer is obvious: find a new place to live.

Sometimes people think I am insane to live in an Isan village with my wife and famlily.

But here people are quiet from 9 pm to 5 am and they would not insult you.

I would not change with someone living an appartement with Thai neighbours from this level of society.

I am afraid you have to move.

Firearms are easily used here.

I live in rural Thailand too in a small village and it is a peaceful and quiet life even with 2 resorts within a couple of hundred metres. Both get noisy at times but one packs in around midnight and the other about a hour later.

You would have to pay me big money to back to living in a city.

They'd have to crank up the printing presses , give me ten gold pigs plus 100 maidens , all virgins for me to live in a small village.

but it still brings my **** to a boil to let people get away with crap like this,

If this is the worst problem you have to deal with while in Thailand...consider yourself fortunate...do not get into a pissing contest with these people...they are not rational or logical...your may lose more than face...if you continue after having been warned...