British Man falls to his death at Pattaya Hilton Hotel

webfact

for sure no blame to the Thai constructor or hotel for having life threatening low balcony rails.

What are you talking about? It's the Hilton International hotel, not a Thai guesthouse, and its balconies are certainly not low !

• Like 1

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another tragic death.

How many farangs dies this way every week in Thailand?

How many people die in the UK every week?

Falling off their hotel balcony while on holiday?.... I would say none or very few.

Probably a small handful a year, and there are millions of Brits take holidays in the UK every year, massively more than come to Thailand.

I would say that you have a hugely greater chance of coming off your balcony here than in the UK.

• Like 1

RIP and condolences to his nearest and dearset. Some strange goings on in Pattaya. A young man staying at the Hilton would suggest he wasn't down to his last few bob and falling from the balcony whilst a Curfew is in place ? If he had fell over on Walking Street due to being under the influence of something, he would probably be nursing a twisted ankle or similar ? I'd like to see Inspector Columbo and Quincy style investigations in to some of these deaths - although I am sure some are genuine accidents / pranks / stunts gone wrong.....whilst being "high" on one thing or another !

It's sad - and i hope an investigation can tell us what happened - which shouldn't be too difficult considering it was at the Hilton with staff and CCTV galore !

Brits having a rough week in Pattaya. I also saw another post of a British lad who was found dead in his Pattaya apartment.

That whole city just gives me the creeps. Prayers to the deceased friends & family.

-Well with respect, Pattaya may give you the creeps, but for thousands of expats they love Pattaya and have made it their home.

The railings in many Thai hotels is too low. The last two hotels I stayed at had balconies with low railings. When I was sitting on the deck, I heard noise below and leaned over to look. This was during the day and I had nothing to drink, but I did note that they were less than waist level, which meant I could easily lean too far over.

If the railings were raised, then the issue of intentional jumping as opposed to accidentally falling would be easier to answer.

• Like 1

RIP and condolences to his nearest and dearset. Some strange goings on in Pattaya. A young man staying at the Hilton would suggest he wasn't down to his last few bob and falling from the balcony whilst a Curfew is in place ? If he had fell over on Walking Street due to being under the influence of something, he would probably be nursing a twisted ankle or similar ? I'd like to see Inspector Columbo and Quincy style investigations in to some of these deaths - although I am sure some are genuine accidents / pranks / stunts gone wrong.....whilst being "high" on one thing or another !

It's sad - and i hope an investigation can tell us what happened - which shouldn't be too difficult considering it was at the Hilton with staff and CCTV galore !

"I'd like to see Inspector Columbo and Quincy..."

You'd like to see enquiries made by ficticious television characters?

• Like 1

RIP mate what a terrible way to go. Hopefully he passed out before he hit the 2nd floor balcony. It is unfortunate to see yet another member of the Pattaya flying club go this way. It is easy to say that nothing is worth killing yourself for but who knows what leads people to make these terrible decisions. My condolences to his surviving family and friends who would be devastated at their loss.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Another tragic death.

How many farangs dies this way every week in Thailand?

I keep reading reports of people falling from buildings very often, I just wonder if these occurrences are accidental or otherwise, I wonder whistling.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Sadness and depression can hit you at any age. Suicide is a problem the world over, and the depression that leads to this point is not gender nor culturally specific. May this poor young lad now rest in peace, and find the peace that evaded him in this short life. Say a prayer and lift a glass and tell someone you love them.

Whilst that is, of course true, this young man had enough money to come on holiday in Thailand, he's not going to go short of female company. He's in Pattaya which is a tropical beach paradise compared with where he comes from (Swindon). Strange place to come to top yourself.

He may have been depressed and gathered his last funds to come to Thailand and bring him out of it--then, the last straw, curfew was imposed.

Sadness and depression can hit you at any age. Suicide is a problem the world over, and the depression that leads to this point is not gender nor culturally specific. May this poor young lad now rest in peace, and find the peace that evaded him in this short life. Say a prayer and lift a glass and tell someone you love them.

And what leads you to believe suicide, privy to some info nobody else is?

Since it's highly unlikely we will ever get a follow up on this, we'll never know if he:

A) Jumped (suicide)

B) Was pushed (murdered)

C) Leaned over a low balcony and lost his balance

D) Drunk/high and accidentally fell.

The simple fact is WE DON'T KNOW, and probably never will, so all the keyboard detectives should give it a break. None of us were eye witnesses, so end of story. The most we can do is regret the loss of a young life and offer condolences to his family and friends.

Looking for love, or whatever, in Soddom by the Sea was never going to end well, was it?

Perhaps Mr. Bright wasn't. Or perhaps life simply dealt him a bad hand.

Either way, RIP.

Condolences to his family, and to all the other families who lose their loved ones to desperate illusions.

Brits having a rough week in Pattaya. I also saw another post of a British lad who was found dead in his Pattaya apartment.

That whole city just gives me the creeps. Prayers to the deceased friends & family.

Interesting you and many others apparently get the "creeps" from Pattaya. Probably better that you live in one of the Western nanny states where everything is done for you and all life's rough edges have been smoothed out and polished for you. Also, something like 60 percent of more of the UK citizens identify themselves as atheists or agnostics so there's a very good chance that your prayers are unwanted.

Very sad, RIP and condolences to his family.

I stayed there last time I went down to Pattaya and the height of the balcony made me feel nervous sober and I'm only 5'9.

My thoughts exactly.

I used to be told all these apocryphal stories about the Thai mafia, motorcycle taxi drivers, Thai girls' boyfriends/husbands/family, etc throwing people off balconies, which is clearly just absolute BS!

It is simply a case of low balconies (designed for Thai size people), often combined with excessive amounts of drink (and for some possibly drugs) and a desire to lean out to look around.

Add to this the stats from suicide victims (many alcoholics and failed relationship candidates in town) and it is small wonder these events are all too common.

Poor chap was too young to go out like this. R.I.P.

A twenty two year old on holiday in Thailand doesn't seem to fit with the depression angle unless he screwed up his uni exams. Also unlikely to be snared by a gold digger at that age either. That leaves drink or misadventure, something most of us dabbled in at that age.

RIP