British Man falls to his death at Pattaya Hilton Hotel

webfact

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have stayed at many hotels in Las Vegas, all of them had non-opening windows and no balconys.

Most hotels I have stayed at in other big U.S.A. cities are also the same.

I have stayed at some Pattaya hotels with balconys that have a railing just below waist high.OMG

My Thai wife and I stayed at a hotel one time with a railing just above knee high ( I'm 6-1 ).

I was going out drinking and I told her " Do not let me go out there when I come back ".

I'm at a apartment now in the U.S.A. with a balcony, the railing is 4 inchs below my neck!!!

To the family, I'm so sorry for your loss. May he RIP. I hope someday you'll find out what happened.

OK, here's what I would like to see, after reading so, so many of these incidents. It would be so cool if somebody could go measure the height of the railing, and maybe even a photo of how the top of it was finished off (flat block, stainless rail, whatever) on the "railing in question" when these deaths occur. I guess it's just the "western mind's" inquisitiveness. Traffic deaths are the worst problem, though.

Some posters keep telling us this happens anywhere in the world. Show me anything like this has ever happened at other Hilton hotels worldwide? Most probably not.

Young Brits fall off balconies all the time, the Foreign Office even launched a campaign a couple of years ago:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/9476809/Campaign-launched-to-stop-Brits-falling-off-balconies-abroad.html

And yes, people have fallen to their deaths from other Hiltons before.

And no, the railings at the Pattaya Hilton are not too low, I have stayed there before.

Therefore, easy on the conspiracy thingy. I guess one reason it happens a lot in Pattaya (and Ibiza, Majorca,e etc.) is that unusually large amounts of alcohol, and drugs, are consumed in holiday destinations.

I dont think it meant he came off the 2nd floor, but his head came of on the 2nd floor balcony. Doesn't say what floor he stared on. Booze/drugs + pattaya + "I'm on holiday, I am immortal!!!" = tragedy. Seen it too much.

Don't forget.......the 2nd floor of the Hilton is in actual fact on an 8th floor level........Hilton is built on top of Central Festival Beach with the Hilton Carpark on the 6th floor (of Central)

Anyway.........sad story.

Sadness and depression can hit you at any age. Suicide is a problem the world over, and the depression that leads to this point is not gender nor culturally specific. May this poor young lad now rest in peace, and find the peace that evaded him in this short life. Say a prayer and lift a glass and tell someone you love them.

Yes and drugs can help you to fly. whistling.gif

Thailand has aspirations to be the hub of many things, but for sure it is the hub of

tourists falling out of high buildings and dying. I would really like to see the numbers

of deaths like that over the course of a year here, versus some other large tourist based

city in the world. It is actually a regular feature of the news here, yet I cannot recall any

other city I have lived in where people fall out of buildings in such high numbers.

Could it be..........

1. Depressed suicidal tourists love to come to Pattaya to die

2. Low railing design meant for Thais not farangs trips you over the edge

3. Excessive drinking and heights are not a good combo

4. Getting pitched out by a bunch of Thai men so assets can be seized

Suggestion for tourists. Only stay on the first or second floor of a hotel.

It's a much bigger problem in Spain, especially and once again involving mainly Brits. (Yes, I'm a Brit)....

Much bigger?

I lived in Spain for many years before Thailand, and whilst I agree that there are an alarming number of deaths from balcony falls among the British in Spanish resorts, I would not say that you could say that it is "much bigger". Of course I have not seen any figures, its just perception.

The difference is that most of the Spanish incidents are investigated and reported, and end up being related to the tendency of crazy pranks, usually drunk or drugged young party goers who have tried to jump, either from a high balcony into the hotel pool, or from one balcony to another. Very few are pure "accident" and fewer still are suicide.

Yes, this happens on Queenslands Gold Coast. Young drunken idiots climbing over balconies.

Why do so many farangs balcony dive in Pattaya? I have never heard of so many farangs balcony diving in any other place than Pattaya.

It is a Mystery

Maybe he was a bit like the "Strange" Bombers supporter that rants in TV. And a supporter of Swindon Town FC..........depressing indeed.

Why do so many farangs balcony dive in Pattaya? I have never heard of so many farangs balcony diving in any other place than Pattaya.

It is a Mystery

Maybe he was a bit like the "Strange" Bombers supporter that rants in TV. And a supporter of Swindon Town FC..........depressing indeed.

Not as depressing as the series of posts you've just made on this thread.

• Like 2

Seems to be pretty regular event of people "falling" from balconies in Pattaya...

I searched for it on google and found 38000 results .

Brits having a rough week in Pattaya. I also saw another post of a British lad who was found dead in his Pattaya apartment.

That whole city just gives me the creeps. Prayers to the deceased friends & family.

Interesting you and many others apparently get the "creeps" from Pattaya. Probably better that you live in one of the Western nanny states where everything is done for you and all life's rough edges have been smoothed out and polished for you. Also, something like 60 percent of more of the UK citizens identify themselves as atheists or agnostics so there's a very good chance that your prayers are unwanted.

I'll pray for you too then. LMAO

• Like 1

I see the TV detective force is out in force. Booze, low balcony rails being blamed again. Soon the tin foil hat brigade will be out in force whispering about sinister Thais in the shadows.

Show some respect (for yourselves, not just the departed) instead of making asinine guesses).

As if a stationary, inanimate object (low balcony rail?) could cause anything...

Another tragic death.

How many farangs dies this way every week in Thailand?

How many people die in the UK every week?

Falling off their hotel balcony while on holiday?.... I would say none or very few.

Probably a small handful a year, and there are millions of Brits take holidays in the UK every year, massively more than come to Thailand.

I would say that you have a hugely greater chance of coming off your balcony here than in the UK.

Don't make this accident too Thai-'ish'.

https://www.google.fr/search?hl=nl-FR&source=hp&q=UK+fall+from+balcony&gbv=2&oq=UK+fall+from+balcony&gs_l=heirloom-hp.3...1857.12030.0.12514.26.14.3.9.0.0.141.1733.1j13.14.0....0...1ac.1.34.heirloom-hp..10.16.1687.8m70yKRNTKY