Lupins in Thailand

Any tips for getting hold of some lupins - they are pretty and nitrogen fixing.

When I Google lupins in Thai I get โหดร้าย - which I understand is not only not a plant but something of a rude word.

post-196658-14015000604412_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

This is one way I often look for information in Thai about something for which I don't know a Thai name: Find the scientific name, then do a Google search with that name, and a Thai word so that you'll get a Thai website with the scientific name. A good example, Xxxxx xxxxx ชื่อภาษาอังกฤษ The x's would be the scientific name, and the Thai translates as "English name".

Another way is to look up information on Wikipedia in English then see if there's a page in Thai. This is how I found this wikipedia page in Thai. http://th.wikipedia.org/wiki/ลูพิน I don't know if you can read Thai or not, but if not, and you can ask someone for help, then you can use this way to find info.

Also, there is a really good Thai ag website with lots of good info, lots of helpful people, various fora, and I'm sure more than a few of these people know a decent amount of English. http://www.kasetporpeang.com Lots of groups of people with names like, "Lovers of xxxx". There are tons of such groups who love everything you can imagine. Some of these people are interested in "exotics", flowers, nitrogen fixers, etc.

I'm also interested in this. So, I'll look around for some.

I didn't read the English wikipedia page but did read the Thai page. Interesting. Really ought to be some species that will thrive here. According to the wiki page, there are between 200 and 600 species. Seems there's some intersting diversity among them.

Thanks for igniting me:))

I think Lupins might grow in the cooler areas of northern Thailand, but not in the hotter or tropical parts...

Using the term "Thailand" loosely like that, it's impossible to give an answer, ... it depends on the area as there are many climatic zones here, so some plants will do well .... some not....lupins will need cooler temperatures!!!! wink.png

Perhaps try this way..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbtVaTWs6II&feature=kp facepalm.giftongue.png

Kalasin - hot as hades at present but I do remember freezing my <deleted> off sleeping outside over New Years .

So I've panted kiwifruit and grapes thinking they might like the cold snap.

Next 2 years is focussed on soil recovery - hence the lupin inquiry.

The YT link was great. Hilarious. Thanks. Robin Hood's got nothin' on this guy!

I am not so sure that Lupins won't grow in the hotter areas of Thailand. Wikipedia page says that they grow in North and South America and Africa. Maybe all in colder climates, but I don't know yet. Do either of you know that they only grow where there's a cold spell?

i brought some seed over last year, and got the to come up but they didnt flower,

i got some again this year, but im in iraq till next week then im home for a while, so ill try again, ill keep you informed how i get on,

ive brought many seeds, foxglove, nesturgin, many,

ill keep you informed.

jake

This is the variety that I found for sale on the Thai ag forum. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lupinus_polyphyllus. Note that the wikipedia page mentions that Lupines have been invasive where they're not native. And, judging from the areas where this is grown, it does indeed require a cold spell.

This is interesting though: lupins have adapted to the sub-artic climates of Alaska and Iceland, the arid climates of east Africa and Mexico, and the sub-tropical parts of South America and the USA. This comes from a website called lupins dot org and has some interesting information. Seems like a good idea to make an educated guess as to which species might do well in your area, where it was so cold outside during winter that your something froze off!

I read where some permaculturists on the southeast coast of Australia sowed lupin seeds during the winter there. I saw somewhere that Lupin(e)s are grown more in Australia than anywhere else.

They do very well in badly depleted soils, so would be great in many places in LOPS (Land of Poor Soils!).

Thanks Troysantos

These are valuable tips - I've been pulling together a planting spreadsheet with Thai & Latin names - lupin was the first one to throw me

Putting together a list ... right on! You're using internet I guess. There are quite a few sites I've seen over the years with Thai / English / Latin names. A few years ago I spent a couple of months compiling a list of plant names and food names. Wish I could find it now!

By the way, the word โหดร้าย isn't a rude word. It just translates as cruel, ruthless.

All the best to you.

i dont know the name of hand, but im home on the 7thjune, and ill tell you then,

the nestertions came up, my wife is planting them on like the dalias,

sorry about my spelling,,,lol

leave it with me

Pigeonjake any feedback warmly accepted.

Same with the nasturtiums (I've got spellcheck going) - they would be a good companion plant to get going.

Not to mention pretty;)

• 2 weeks later...

Update -

Troysantos the Kasetporpaeng link does look great. It will take some preserverance with Google Translate to see if I can get any traction - at least until the paasaa Thai ramps up

Given the translation of Lupin in the Thai version of Wikipedia is simply a transliteration - ie ลูพิน - I'm not filled with hope there's a locally available species out there...

You can ask around at Chatuchak if anyone sells flowers and ornamentals from other countries. Also, there are permaculture groups in the north and maybe they have it or know where to get it. Also, you can ask on Kasetporpeang in English (until your paasaa Thai ramps up;)) if anyone knows it. Gotta be more than a few members who know enough English to correspond with you.