Member With A Problem!

tuky

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"""""Ignorant and cowardly insults aimed at my father might may you feel better about your pseudo-religion and yourself but it doesn't change the points I've made, the sources I've shown and the verifiable facts. Your sponsor would be proud of the AA-speak you use. "You've got a resentment" Don't tell me, I need a Higher Power in my life to help my incurable, bad, scary disease. """"""""

Now I think you're just a pure nut-case. I hope you get better! I simply repeated what you said about your father, no insults. Isn't this the real reason you are on a crusade to belittle AA.

""""""According to AA alcoholics have an incurable disease. I don't know anyone who has this because it is a 70 year old myth. Sorry to burst your bubble. I know plenty of people who AA would call alcoholics and drug addicts who gave up drinking or cut down to sensible levels by themselves. So yes.""""""""""""""

Please just answer the question, why are you avoiding it? Do you know any alcoholics(not drug addicts) who have stopped by themselves for over 5 years? Doesn't even sound like you know what an alcoholic is.

AA NEVER call anyone alcoholics - this proves that you don't know what you're talking about. Only yourself can call yourself an alcoholic.

The difference between religion and spirituality - "religion is for those who don't want to go to hel_l, spirituality is for those of us who have already been there".

I got sober by myself on December 15th , 1992 ; after failing at my first attempt on December 7th (hoping to be a "date which would live in infamy") :o I'd gone to AA a few times and decided it wasn't for me. Not because of any failings of that organization, but my own. I'd rationalize "I'm not a joiner" "It's a crutch" etc. Since then I've met countless people who are alive today simply becase they joined AA and took back the control alcohol held over their lives.

I can't say enough for the fine work 12 Step Programs do. When my brother decided it was time for him to quit a few years ago, he went to Betty Ford Clinic and I was invited for the week to be part of his program. It's basically a type of AA with some intensive encounter sessions. As sbk stated (paraphrasing) it doesn't matter how you get there. just so long as you get there.

And sbk, that puppy is so cute I'd like to bite it.

I would also add that I've met very few people like myself, who quit on their own. Do whatever it takes.

Edited by lannarebirth

:o I'd gone to AA a few times and decided it wasn't for me. Not because of any failings of that organization, but my own. I'd rationalize "I'm not a joiner" "It's a crutch" etc. Since then I've met countless people who are alive today simply becase they joined AA and took back the control alcohol held over their lives.
It has a 5% success rate. Good for those people.

The AA disease model has been proved to be a myth. Some people choose to believe this 1930's view of addiction. Good for them too.

Edited by robitusson

:o I'd gone to AA a few times and decided it wasn't for me. Not because of any failings of that organization, but my own. I'd rationalize "I'm not a joiner" "It's a crutch" etc. Since then I've met countless people who are alive today simply becase they joined AA and took back the control alcohol held over their lives.

It has a 5% success rate. Good for those people.

The AA disease model has been proved to be a myth. Some people choose to believe this 1930's view of addiction. Good for them too.

How can anyone say AA has a 5% success rate - think about how can anyone anonymous be monitored - I really don't subscribe to that. I know 4 people who have attended AA 2 still abstain and 2 imbibe excessively that makes 50% success rate of people I know of all the others nobody knows. What AA does offer is a support mechanism to people who need help a great deal more support than one will receive from drinking buddies when trying to moderate.

How can anyone say AA has a 5% success rate
Because that is what research indicates, that's how someone can say it. Investigate it. I've posted links in this part of the forum about this. Check out the facts for yourself.
- think about how can anyone anonymous be monitored - I really don't subscribe to that. I know 4 people who have attended AA 2 still abstain and 2 imbibe excessively that makes 50% success rate of people I know of all the others nobody knows. What AA does offer is a support mechanism to people who need help a great deal more support than one will receive from drinking buddies when trying to moderate.
Possibly. Edited by robitusson

How can anyone say AA has a 5% success rate

Because that is what research indicates, that's how someone can say it. Investigate it. I've posted links in this part of the forum about this. Check out the facts for yourself.
- think about how can anyone anonymous be monitored - I really don't subscribe to that. I know 4 people who have attended AA 2 still abstain and 2 imbibe excessively that makes 50% success rate of people I know of all the others nobody knows. What AA does offer is a support mechanism to people who need help a great deal more support than one will receive from drinking buddies when trying to moderate.
Possibly.

I am not certainly not trying to push AA merely highlighting the support it can give to people in serious difficulties as the member with a problem. I am amazed you are still bandying around that research indicates a 5% success rate - I must be really dim but cannot see how this figure can be collated from such an anonymous population.

All I do know is the Priory UK is recognised as a leader in treating alcohol addiction but still holds AA meetings on its premises.

I was put off attending AA by comments like yours - it was 2 friends both confirmed atheists who had completed the 12 steps who helped me in getting there - I just sat and listened and must say it helped me a great deal in drying me out and learning to take a day at a time. I still drink sometimes- often to great excess but have never been anywhere near the state I was in then. I do feel support is what is often needed and that when someone has hit rock bottom AA offers that from others who have been there.

I watched a brother-in-law try do destroy his life. He was so far gone drinking alcohol wasn't enough, he doused himself in it as well, having witnessed him in a drunken stupor sitting in a chair and pouring whole bottles of vodka over himself. In all likelyhood alcohol can be absorbed through the skin, but I don't think that was the purpose, more likely just madness.

I watched this guy try to quit unaided and this would last anywhere from days to weeks but without help, the result was always "falling off the wagon" and in spectacular fashion. One needs to understand that for an alcoholic who resumes drinking they pick up at the same place they left off. There's no such thing as just having a few...the body just takes over. same for cigarette smokers who try to just have a few a day. Soon enough they're back to the same quantity they were before kicking the habit.

As many who participate in this forum also participate in the expat/bar lifestyle here I sometimes wonder how one even knows when one becomes an alcoholic. Should binge drinkers also be regarded as alcoholics even though for 6 days out of seven they can go dry, but drink themselves stupid on the remaining day.

When does one actually qualify as an alcoholic ?

One more thing I learnt through my brother-in law....once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic.....the only difference is whether you're drunk or sober.

• 3 weeks later...
Tuky, mate - how about an update?

I hope everything is well. Have you managed to quit? If so, how you did it may help others trying to quit.

NN

Howdy mate.

To be honest I have avoided this topic, even reading it as I realise how stupid I have been. It kinda emabarrasses me.

Anyway, just to give you an update I have not been quite as successful as other have been but I am very pleased to say that since "D" day I have had a drink on 5 separate occassions. ALl 5 have been to excess but nonetheless out of nearly 40 days I have only fallen on 5 of those days. One was when I was flying home and the Thai Airways flight from Dubai to BKK never left BKK, so I ended up waiting 24hrs in Dubai. I could normally have handled this but in transit the creeps wouldn't give me any information as to what was happening, just kepot telling me to come back again in 2 hours. I arrived at 1pm on the Sunday and the flight was due to leave at 6pm. No worries as business class lounges are ok for waiting 4 or 5 hours. Not with Thai, they only have the Star lounge at Dubai which is not open most of the time.

So, all up I waited 29 hrs in transit at Dubai, I told them to give me an idea when the flight might actually leave so I could book into a hotel, all they could tell me was that it might be in another 2 hours.

Anyway, this other Aussie guy in the same situation as me suggested we wait it out in the Irish Village pub. I should have said no but was absolutely furious at the treatment we received so I decided to drown the frustrations. Worked too cos next thing I remember I was in a Limo headed down Highway 7 :o

But other than that, things seem to have been going very well. I never thought I could actually do it but here I am at work without a hangover and feeling good.

I have started my guys on an exercise regime each morning after the tool box talk which I join in myself so it seems even work is improving.

I still consider buying a drink each day on the way home from work but quickly talk mtyself out of it. Even though I might be sitting on the sofa wishing I had a beer, when I wake up in the morning I am really grateful that I didn't

If I can do it, you all can too...

CVheers all and thanks for everything. I will try to check in more regularly, no need to be ashamed I guess.

:D

I havent really added much to this thread. I myself am a big drinker. 3 or more big bottles of beer every day usually. But i have taken it upon myself with out reading anything on here. I decided to not drink everday. The weekend just gone. I had 1 big beer Friday, 2 Saturday and 2 Sunday. This is a grteat improvement on my usual drinking habits. Monday i had no beer. Today i'm having a couple of big Heinikens, But tomorrow i wont drink and also Thursday. I tell you. Its so nice to get up in the morning without feeling like <deleted> or just fuzzy headed. So there is no need to totally give up unless you treally cant go a day with a drink. But drink in moderation is good. Wish i had realised before. it would have saved me a fortune. cheers!

But other than that, things seem to have been going very well. I never thought I could actually do it but here I am at work without a hangover and feeling good.

I have started my guys on an exercise regime each morning after the tool box talk which I join in myself so it seems even work is improving.

Great to hear Tuky, I often check in to see if you made any comment.

It was always going to be hard, but it appears you feel great about it and feeling good, that is the main thing.

Good Luck

Moss

Good too hear from you, tuky, I often popped my head in to see if you had checked in.

It was always going to be hard, but it's good to know you are feeling a lot better for it.

Good Luck

Moss

Edit: I thought the other post hadn't gone through so apologies for similar posts.

Edited by Mossfinn