More Thais to default on their loans due to increased household debts: NESDB

webfact

NESDB: More Thais to default on their loans due to increased household debts

BANGKOK, 4 June 2014 (NNT) - According to the National Economic and Social Development Board (NESDB), more Thais are likely to default on their debt payments due to soaring expenses per household.

The NESDB reported that in 2014, most families would likely be unable to pay-off their debts in a timely manner as non-performing loans (NPLs) among consumer loans rose as much as 31.3 percent.

During the first three months of this year, defaults on loans longer than a three month period has increased to 42 percent.

Even though each household earns about 25,200 baht on average, their average expenses per month could reach as high as 19,000 baht.

The total debt per household stood at around 163,000 baht, which is a 9.95 percent increase from last year. At least 8 million households, which account for about 42.25 percent of all households in Thailand, are unable to earn enough income to cover their expenses.

Apart from that, 11.4 million households across Thailand had only 100,000 baht or less in their savings. Only 700,000 households were able to accumulate up to 500,000 baht of savings or higher.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-06-04 footer_n.gif

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During the first three months of this year, defaults on loans longer than a three month period has increased to 42 percent.

Increased 'to' 42 percent ?? Or increased 'by' 42 percent.. Kind of a key difference and I firmly disbelieve the former.

A 42% default rate on all debts over 3 months would imply a systemic banking collapse.

• Like 2

Kind of on topic, I just posted a question in the Biz section on this called, Bizzare Thai Loans Rules - click here I am shocked if what I am hearing is true.

Any input would be good.

This cold be a credit crunch time bomb ticking?

note, link above in blue is a Thaivisa thread question

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

I see businesses closing down everywhere - it's hardly surprising when you see brand new cars and pickups outside homes where the owners don't even have a job!

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I don't think Thais are very good at managing a budget ,my wife is a good example,i

try to instill in her the most important thing in managing ones finances,NEVER spend

more than you earn.and i don't think they would know how to cut back if money gets

tight,its not only Thais but most of the World must be in debit,I suppose the population

are just following their countries example.Its i must have it now society.

regards worgeordie

As you said Worgeordie , most countries have this problem , I want now society , is alive and well , although what I want I don't generally get.

A few years ago, I wanted to apply for a Visa Card at my Bank provider.

I have always about 800,000 baht in my Savings Account and about 200,000 baht in my Current Account.

The application was refused by the Bank.

My ex-wife, who had no job and her only income was what I gave her possessed a Visa Card from every possible provider in Thailand and also many Debet cards.

She applied for a Visa Card at the same Bank as me and got it approved.

<deleted> the Thai banks.

look its simple you can walk away as a forang and banks could do nothing while your wife as a thai can be found and traced easily. Long ago one of my wife's family guaranteed a loan for a mobile fro a fiend. The fiend never paid anything but wed moved and then even after 6 years loan company found her because shed changed her family papers and got money back.

Thats reason the bak wont give you a credit card however much you might have in bank you can just leave and nothing they can do

Thai farmers are becoming more indebted: survey
By Digital Content

14018600191178.jpg

BANGKOK, June 4 - More Thai farmers were found burdened by debt in terms of the number of households and amount of debt, according to Kasetsart University's Office of Agricultural Economic Forecast Centre.

The Centre reported that a survey of the household debt situation of farming households in 2014 found that 78 per cent of a total of 5.7 million farming families are now in debt, an increase from 51 per cent recorded in 1996.

The Centre said that the amount of debts also expanded as well, increasing from Bt24,672 per family on average in 1996, to Bt76,697 per family on average in 2014.

The southern region has the most number of farming families in debt, followed by the central, northeastern, and northern regions, said the Centre. The major reasons for the farmers falling into debt were easier access to loan facilities, inflation and higher prices of goods.

The Centre, however, stressed that the overdue payment to farmers under the rice pledging scheme would help create more cash flow within the domestic economy over the short term and would help reduce the burden of debt for families by about Bt4,000 on average, or lowering a total of Bt6.57 billion from debt in the agriculture sector. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-06-04

I think banks need to determine what people can reasonably afford to pay when undertaking a loan agreement, , credit here is to easily available , with the latest downturn in the economy i would expect to see a huge increase in loan defaults , Cars , Homes , Phones, and credit cards.and of course business loans.

• Like 1

Increased 'to' 42 percent ?? Or increased 'by' 42 percent.. Kind of a key difference and I firmly disbelieve the former.

A 42% default rate on all debts over 3 months would imply a systemic banking collapse.

And so would the latter.

Thanks to the 'everyone a new car' scheme. Another imploded populist policy.

There's also the small matter of personal responsibility. We only learn from our mistakes. I've made hundreds and slowly getting to grips and I've never blamed anyone, not ever.

I can honestly say that all of my mistakes, usually money related, have served me well. I've wisened.

• Like 1