BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
builderstu

Small business ideas

I know many people have asked and will continue to ask, but what is the general view on what type of small business can be started here? I want to try do something to pass some time but make a little extra. I would be happy to do something that can generate about 15,000 to 50,000 per month.

All suggestions and ideas welcome.

Cheers

Yes we do building, actually we build houses and sell them but I'm wanting to do a little extra something in the free time. Also it is to help a friend out as well. That's why I'm looking for some ideas

Yes we do building, actually we build houses and sell them but I'm wanting to do a little extra something in the free time. Also it is to help a friend out as well. That's why I'm looking for some ideas

What area are you in ?

I see some problems with being a builder in Thailand.

Some of the above posters seem to sse some possibilities there, so they might have better information than me.

There are some prohibited professions for Farangs, see http://www.thaiworkpermit.com/prohibited-occupations-in-thailand.html and the TahiVisa post http://www.thaivisa.com/330-0.html and a translation of the apparently applicable Foreign Business Act of 1999 here: http://www.bsalaw.co.th/en/foreign/foreignbusinesslaw.html.

I have no knowledge of Thai whatsoever and so depend on these translations, but those would effectively prohibit (by yourself, your friend or by anyone but a Thai national employee) :

- being a bricklayer or carpenter or doing any other sort of construction work (as far as that is not already considered manual work and hence prohibited)

- Supervising, auditing or giving services in accounting

- Brokerage or agency

- Engineering work in a civil engineering branch concerning designing and calculation, organization, research, planning, testing, construction supervision or advising excluding specialized work (I don't know if that emcompasses electricity and plumbing, or thatching)

- Architectural work concerning designing, drawing of plans, estimating, construction directing or advising

That would leave very few things open to you or your company and it's employees apart from projecting a building, marketing and raising funds, and possibly promoting financing.

It might upon proper application be permissible if you manage to convince s.o. that you do things outside any Thai's ability, i.e. build s.th. with e.g. insulation or electrical wiring not making farangs want to vomit and hence attract foreign funds.

No experience whatsoever here, so I myself would be interested academically in what is actually possible in that area of work.

This is the main question we all ask ourselves I think

Hard to know what is going to work or not as I have a business background and from what I've seen its hit or miss here

I have seen people (Thai's and westerners) do all the right things setting up a business doing the ground work research bla bla ..

Opened failed, dead, zippo, nothing

I've seen people no idea of business, no plan, no system, just hair brain idea make millions of baht I know of 2 making a killing

so who knows what the answer is in Thailand just think of something give it a go you never know

What I find funny is that someone sets up a by the road stall and sells whatever and if they do well, they find in a short space of time there's people either side that start doing the same.laugh.png

• Like 1

are you a builder? there you go then

grow poppies

Hi BuilderStu, if you are a good handyman, try a "house- and pool doctor" biz, as it is very difficult to find good plumbers and service people in almost any province here in Thailand.

start a ferret ranch...

This is the main question we all ask ourselves I think.

Hard to know what is going to work or not as I have a business background and from what I've seen its hit or miss here

Self Dragging flip flops

That seems to be a tad unhelpful given the legal situation, unless any of you care to enlarge ... ? rolleyes.gif

What I find funny is that someone sets up a by the road stall and sells whatever and if they do well, they find in a short space of time there's people either side that start doing the same.laugh.png

That is what I've read about as "the Asian disease" as in:

- starting some business based on unskilled labour (as in pushing your mobile barbeque)

- make good money for some 2 weeks

- get some competitor doing the same-self thing as you on the next corner, still making good money

- get some 4 more competitors doing the same unskilled work within the next 2 weeks, now doing only okay money

- get the double number of unskilled competitors in the next two weeks because word got round, business now being poor

- caravan trails to the next location, rinse and repeat

Be aware (as my diving instructor told me some 3y ago) that Thais will *hate* you if they feel you are taking business away from them by doing anything they feel Thais could do themselves, such as opening a Jet Ski rental or a copy shop, and you may well find your business literally torched one fine morning. If you take over a "Bar Beer" in Pattaya there will obviously be no need for torching, that will take care of itself with all the protection money.

Whatever you do, you will need to do a somewhat educated job not in direct competition to Thai businesses and within the legal scope.

• Like 1