Small business ideas

builderstu

Post Nr 10 sums it up.

AND; Work permit, work permit and work permit !!!!

AND: OP does not know where he lives in Thailand, otherwise he would have posted in the Isaan-Forum.

AND: Folks who come here and NEED to "make a little extra", should not have ended up in Thailand in the first place.

OP: In your situation, start looking at the "Cambodia-Option". Thailand is not for you.

Cheers.

Out of curiosity, what are you folks actually doing "buliding" in Thailand, what in that line of work is permissible?

I am certainly not any sort of builder, but I got an acquantance who used to be a self-employed carpenter in London and settled to Thailand as an (guess what?) English teacher (and let's say he's not the academical type).

We build houses for sale, only small developments in and our local town. But there are times when we have long periods of free time and we want to do just anything simple to pass this by. It should make about 15,000 up per month ideally and be simple enough for when we busy just stop and then free start up again. We had a plant nursery but this was to much work for when we are busy building and we also had minimart but again this meant we were tied at times when building came first. So really we need something for short times to pass our free time but needs to be worth while doing.

I am afraid that what you are hoping for to set up is absolute luxury.

Most start-up businesses are folding their hands in prayer every evening to get new customers hoping to actually build a base for ongoing revenue.

They would then obviously have to tend to those customers to make them happy, make them stay, and possibly draw in some new clientele by word of mouth

By what you write you just want some customers to magically pop up when you need them, and then wish them to go away when you are busy with what you actually want to do.

That is not going to work, you'd be going through the difficult build-up phase of a fresh business multiple times a year.

Hence your options would be:

1) expanding your core business to a level of turnover satisfying your requirements of revenue

2) get subscription jobs, most likely over the internet, i.e. work for somebody with an existing base of customers you can work for by proxy (translations etc.)

3) do asynchronous work, i.e. something not on a schedule, as in writing novels or some internet guide with membership fees (cv retirecheap.asia, for example)

Post Nr 10 sums it up.

AND: OP does not know where he lives in Thailand, otherwise he would have posted in the Isaan-Forum.

AND: Folks who come here and NEED to "make a little extra", should not have ended up in Thailand in the first place.

OP: In your situation, start looking at the "Cambodia-Option". Thailand is not for you.

Cheers.

You should have read all the messages, we are builders here but have free time and want to do something simple but can make a little cash rather than lose. Also it said we are in Surin area. Read a little before you spout out irrelevant dribble.

So, being a "builder" excludes you from having to aquire a work-permit? On top of that you probably do it on a tourist-visa!?

NO, Surin is not located in Central-Thailand. You may want to buy a map of Thailand. That way you may actually find out in what corner of Thailand you have ended up .

PS: Body-Building for personal use requires no work permit, you may want to switch on order to stay legal in Thailand.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Post Nr 10 sums it up.

Cheers.

You should have read all the messages, we are builders here but have free time and want to do something simple but can make a little cash rather than lose. Also it said we are in Surin area. Read a little before you spout out irrelevant dribble.

So, being a "builder" excludes you from having to aquire a work-permit? On top of that you probably do it on a tourist-visa!?

NO, Surin is not located in Central-Thailand. You may want to buy a map of Thailand. That way you may actually find out in what corner of Thailand you have ended up .

PS: Body-Building for personal use requires no work permit, you may want to switch on order to stay legal in Thailand.

Cheers.

Being a builder does not exclude anyone from anything. However a question first might give you an answer rather than assumptions. I have never (except for 10 day visit 6 years ago) been on a tourist visa it has always been work permit or marriage visas that allows one to do work and or stay visit family I.e. Wife and children on long term basis. So my guess in what myself or wife are doing is fully legal.

Surin as far as I know is considered north east. Central I though was closer to bangkok area.

Yes you are correct body building requires no work permit but then it's not a job it's considered a form of personal exercise.

I don't know, that would be down to the company they work for to organise it. Personally I didn't think any farang would actually be doing labouring/building in thailand. Firstly the pay is rather low round 200 - 400 baht per day and also it's to hot for most farang to do it especially for such little money. I think if any farang is considering a job like that they should go to their home country. I think it would be better for the farang to do a management/consultant type roll in any kind of building company.

No I don't do building myself in my own country or here, the wife has people to do all that kind of stuff here. I simply help on consultancy basis for drawings and advise for sales tactics. The wife does everything really though. But it is easy to get a work permit for that type of roll in thailand as there are many types of businesses like that in pattaya and other places alike.

Yep OK and I understand about building in all aspects but what I don't understand is the only people I have come across that work in some building areas within Thailand have all the business etc etc in the wife's control and they are not allowed to have a work permit, they work on the hush hush unless they become a Thai citizen, unless there has been some radical changes I fail to believe.

It's quite common for Frangie people to work in Thailand without work-permits.

No I don't do building myself in my own country or here, the wife has people to do all that kind of stuff here. I simply help on consultancy basis for drawings and advise for sales tactics. The wife does everything really though. But it is easy to get a work permit for that type of roll in thailand as there are many types of businesses like that in pattaya and other places alike.

That was actually my question regarding what was permissible in that line of work, and that is what I thought it would be. (my perspective tends to be very much from the legal side of things, occupational hazard)

Well, as I said expand your core business, i.e. add the consultancy area to your wife's business (if there is some sort of registering for that in Thailand), and see if you can work (by proxy of your wife's business, hence on your own work permit) for other builders.

I've seen some websites were people advise or actually do the building with regard to insulation for farangs to cut down on costs of air-conditioning or there is one chap in Bangkok who goes around the country doing proper electrical grounding for buildings (i.e. ramming copper rods into the ground for a fixed price).

I would suggest buy land in your partner's name and take an income from that, i.e. rent it out.

Yes you have to trust her, then to pass time you might want to build yourself an aquaponics system, if it's big enough you might make a profit.

Edited by wiki12

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone,

Aussie expat accountant / businessman - living in Isaan area.

I have a genuine business in development if anyone is interested in investing (I wish i could do it myself, but it requires investment - building a factory).

Low cost of production, high sell price, 90% export.

Send me a message if you are interested.

Cheers

Tim

• 4 years later...