73 taxi drivers arrested in Phuket anti-mafia drive

Lite Beer

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“From now on, the police will not let this happen. No police officer will be transferred and anyone who blocks roads will be prosecuted,” he said.

It's about freaking time.

“Our problem is the local authorities are not strong enough to enforce the law seriously.”

Hard to believe they actually admit this in a press release. Perhaps there is hope.

One of the major advantages of a military coup which gives complete authority and dictatorial powers to the Army chief --

​he does not have to pussy-foot, placate, or pretend. He is able to make decisions, take decisive, ​corrective measures and

not be overly concerned with who may not like it. What other government leader is able to operate so effectively?

​Years ago, a very wise man once told me, "The best possible form of government is a benevolent dictatorship."

I very much agree, but with one caveat: If the dictator dies or stops being benevolent, what happens then?

How does Singapore do it? The people of Singapore seem to be content in general, every country has it ways to work things out.

Seems like Thailand is on the right track.

What a relieve and refreshment at this moment, if this follows through Thailand will regain its image it lost many years ago.

Way to go wai.gif

• Like 2

Motor Bike Taxi , from Phuket Bus terminal to Patong ..

" Ohhhh , much more long way than I'm thinking ..Which way I go "?

Sure Mate , give you 10 barht and take me to the bus stop . Often often inconvenient to aviod these guys , but the whole system id flawed on the Island , Tuk Tuk , motor bike , registered Taxi , unregistered taxi , so this really is just scaping the surface .

Still at least its a Start , but this would take some massive changes to Clean up .

I must say the " Rip Off ..least " to get to Golf , where the unregistered guys with a 1/2 decent car , but still Crazy fee .

Next time in Phuket , will still follow the " avoidance " rule .

I've always said it would take the Thai Army, and many members ridiculed me.

Just shows how rotten the police are here that it takes the Thai Army to do their job for them.

You really do deserve to be ridiculed. Just when it looked as though you may be making a good point you go and spoil it with your last sentence and your recurring lack of reading ability or refusal to give credit where it is due. One third of the operation was the RTP.

The RTP had to take part in the operation because the Thai Army were making sure they were doing their job. It's not rocket science.

This problem has been here for years, and the RTP has never done a thing about it.

• Like 1

Now for the hard part, setting up a public transportation system on the island. The only way that was going to happen was if the Army was in charge. Now is the time.

Perhaps the locals, expats and tourists will line the coast road, cheering on the Thai Army, as the first Phuket baht bus starts operating.

Scenes reminiscent of the celebrations following the liberation of Paris in World War 2. biggrin.png

Now for the hard part, setting up a public transportation system on the island. The only way that was going to happen was if the Army was in charge. Now is the time.

I agree with you. The army need to appoint a top officer to oversee everything that is happening in the Phuket taxi industry, because the corrupt scum will just move the goal posts to suit themselves. With military control all these old bad corrupt habits will be destroyed once and for all. Jail anybody that tries to go against this reform.

• Like 2

“More than a thousand police officers, soldiers and local authority officials have been working on this.

“The plan was launched on January 30 this year; we have spent about three months now working on this problem.”

So credit is not just to be associated with the Thai Military Junta.

It seems they have spent more than 4 months 'working on this'. How much more time would they have spent 'working on this' before taking action, if at all, without the kind 'encouragement' and 'assistance' of the military?

Well done, and good luck Thailand.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Just shows how rotten the police are here that it takes the Thai Army to do their job for them.

If you read the article you will see that it was the mayor who was rotten, not the police who were transferred by the mayor if they tried to interfere. Mayors are very powerful in Thailand but this one should be getting a very long stretch.

That's right. This is not a national political issue and that Mayor was surely part of the problem as he let the crime continue. And I've always been amazed that it hadn't been cleaned up since tourism is such an important part of Thailand's economy.

You really do deserve to be ridiculed. Just when it looked as though you may be making a good point you go and spoil it with your last sentence and your recurring lack of reading ability or refusal to give credit where it is due. One third of the operation was the RTP.

Correct, one third of the operation was the RTP, ....however this was initiated by, and under the direction of the military.Give credit where it is due.

"Gen Panya explained, “Realising the problem about mafia taxi drivers disgracing the image of Phuket, I set up a team led by Gen Paween and Pol Maj Gen Weerasak Meenawanich from Region 8 to investigate and collect evidences."

• Like 1

No, it was the former national government that didn't have the will to get it done, the local governor and police who didn't have the resources to get it done, and a military coup that apparently sees the need to get it done to finally get it done.
Saying "[it] shows how rotten the police are here that it takes the Thai Army to do their job for them" underestimates just how powerful these mafias are, and how powerless local authorities were to deal with them.
The corruption started at the top. Their main priority for 8 years was getting their hero back to Thailand, and that trumped any other problems the country had. With 'a new sheriff in town', that priority has changed.
I'll reserve final judgment until the dust settles, but it looks to be a good start. And I hope it's finally the start of a new direction, and finally some hope for Phuket.

Sorry, but the corruption didn't just arrive 8 years ago. Unfortunately it's been around for a lot longer

• Like 1

If you read the article you will see that it was the mayor who was rotten, not the police who were transferred by the mayor if they tried to interfere. Mayors are very powerful in Thailand but this one should be getting a very long stretch.

I didn't see the Mayor walking into each business every month collecting "tea money" - I saw the BiB do it.

I didn't see the Mayor on the beach telling a tourist he had to pay for a scratched jet ski - I saw the BiB do it.

I didn't see the Mayor turn a blind eye to the tuk-tuks parking illegally - I saw the BiB do nothing about it.

They are both corrupt. The BiB were the "bagman." They were under the protection of the Mayor. They all deserve to go.

Absolutely corrupt to the bone as well, but this particular case is about the tuk tuk mafia.