jkinbkk

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmm

Just how far upcountry ARE most of you guys ;-?

In my case, it is more down than up, I can see Cambodia from my kitchen window.

Lovely people around here, you have to have a smattering of three different languages though, four if you include French (but that is just at the weekend)

• Like 2

@Thadd--- Please get of your high horse yourself and stop patronizing. Why upsetting about what I know or not know about issan. I'm sure there may be more aspect to people's character there than just red shirts. I responded/asked questions to the OP not you, please go away yourself.

Hmm

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Turn left at Sh!t Creek and just after the black dog!

OK. I'll keep an eye out for your paddle too. tongue.png

• Like 2

Remove the mirrors from any motorbike that I buy.

Drive my motorbike the wrong way down a one way street and on the sidewalk if the street is blocked..

If I agree to go out at 8pm, I start getting ready at 8:10pm.

Edited by wayned

Remove the mirrors from any motorbike that I buy.

Drive my motorbike the wrong way down a one way street and on the sidewalk if the street is blocked..

If I agree to go out at 8pm, I start getting ready at 8:10pm.

Why would a need mirrors to see where I've already been?

• Like 1

"When in Rome, do as the Romans do". Perfectly normal human behavior in any culture. Typical whingeing from Westerners about immigrants is they don't try to assimilate, learn language, etc. Since you are a minority of 1 or 2, you do not have enough of your ilk to form a sub-culture and maintain "the old ways". Look at the number of farangs here who only hang out with farangs, don't learn any Thai.

All good points until you mentioned Archa beer. Nobody drinks Archa beer unless it is free. smile.png

Actually Archa beer is not so bad.

I used to drink a lot of Archa beer when I lived in Udon Thani in 2007 burp.gif

But now I don't like any beer in Thailand. It's all too watery to my taste.

I developed a new habit of drinking Sangsom rum with soda water, much better than Thai beer!

A very refreshing and easy going beverage to quench your thirst on a hot summer day... thumbsup.gif

Hmm

Turn left at Sh!t Creek and just after the black dog!

You still have black dogs? The guys from Laos came and rounded up all the strays ages ago

Edited by dinger

Prefer to eat on the floor rather than at the table.

With respect, the floor is usually cleaner.

That's one thing that I can not do, eat off the floor. I was brought up to have better manners than those with 2 extra legs.

Never been out on a picnic in your elite homeland? Never had a nice lunch sitting under a tree?

How on earth can culture be deemed as bad manners?

Attending temple. Cutting rice and carrying rice as part of an exercise program. Supporting the relatives and friends. Sitting on the floor while eating. Enjoying the smoke from the grill = to a full pack of smokes. Abstaining from alcohol. Doing the spirit dance with a bunch of seniors. Christening a new house with the village shaman. Being educated on the many types of edible leaves and plants. Eating horned beatles, bees, grasshoppers. Attending a number of funerary proceedings. Attending an old fashioned wedding and a modern expensive wedding. Driving a motorbike. Being in two accidents caused by offending Thais. Getting Dengue fever twice. Two hospital stays. Enjoying the excellent services of Thai doctors. getting my teeth cleaned for $10.00 . Finding out first hand about thai police and the backward system of Thai justice. ( threats from my neighbour resulted in further threats from the police).

Visited many villages and village schools. Shocked by the Thai convention of driving - I no longer stop for most stop signs as few drivers do. I even drive the wrong way occasionally. The list is endless as I have been here three years.

After 5 years maybe.. I go with the 3 showers a day and a leo or chang.

Don't need to run red lights, they aim their bikes at me. 3 bike accidents, broken shoulder 3x same one.

I used to tour the country but after blowing a tire doing 80 near Udon Thani and rolling the bike down the highway, after losing control, I stay closer to home now.

Isaan fare pretty much, somtam ok but not phet phet.....

In kalsin your choices are limited, in regards to everything. I'm only 63.

I don't know if this is an Isaan thing or Thaiwide but I find it strange when they put a few scoops of ice cream into a hot dog roll to eat.

...and top it with boiled corn kernels.

The neighbors unashamedly steal my bananas in broad daylight. So I unashamedly steal their jackfruit.

If anyone is caught red-handed, a smile and a sheepish nod of the head takes care of everything.

I help, and put said fruit into the plastic bag they discarded yesterday and hand it back to them with a wink.

One day, I hope the message may click.

Not sure if trying to introduce logic or a system would work anywhere here. Perhaps if you put twenty baht in each timewhistling.gif

Went back to the states a couple of months ago and realized that my driving skills by U S standards had gone to hell

That's one fear I always have but so far i found myself driving as normal while at home. It's like my brain switches into a different mode wherever and whenever it is reminded of past experiences and automatically adopts it.

Went back to the states a couple of months ago and realized that my driving skills by U S standards had gone to hell

That's one fear I always have but so far i found myself driving as normal while at home. It's like my brain switches into a different mode wherever and whenever it is reminded of past experiences and automatically adopts it.

I just have to remember that when driving in the states and you get pulled over by a motor cop don't just roll down the window and stick 200Bt out for him

You're obviously not from San Francisco! Thailand was good training for the mess here in SF