Have you assimilated into Fara-saan?

jkinbkk

Went back to the states a couple of months ago and realized that my driving skills by U S standards had gone to hell

You're obviously not from San Francisco! Thailand was good training for the mess here in SF

No I am from L A where offensive driving is a participant sport

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The neighbors unashamedly steal my bananas in broad daylight. So I unashamedly steal their jackfruit.

If anyone is caught red-handed, a smile and a sheepish nod of the head takes care of everything.

I help, and put said fruit into the plastic bag they discarded yesterday and hand it back to them with a wink.

One day, I hope the message may click.

Not sure if trying to introduce logic or a system would work anywhere here. Perhaps if you put twenty baht in each timewhistling.gif

That's why they put a B20 note in a small plastic bag in the large tubs of paint.

The instruction on the side that said 'stir well before use' obviously wasn't working ;)

• Like 1

The neighbors unashamedly steal my bananas in broad daylight. So I unashamedly steal their jackfruit.

If anyone is caught red-handed, a smile and a sheepish nod of the head takes care of everything.

I help, and put said fruit into the plastic bag they discarded yesterday and hand it back to them with a wink.

One day, I hope the message may click.

Not sure if trying to introduce logic or a system would work anywhere here. Perhaps if you put twenty baht in each timewhistling.gif

That's why they put a B20 note in a small plastic bag in the large tubs of paint.

The instruction on the side that said 'stir well before use' obviously wasn't working wink.png

LMAO

How on earth can culture be deemed as bad manners?

It's got a name: ethnocentrism

That, of course, is the other end of the spectrum.

Thai bars selling beer around the clock, in Pattaya, to mal-adjusted Falangs is probably a good example of the Middle Way

Attending temple. Cutting rice and carrying rice as part of an exercise program. Supporting the relatives and friends. Sitting on the floor while eating. Enjoying the smoke from the grill = to a full pack of smokes. Abstaining from alcohol. Doing the spirit dance with a bunch of seniors. Christening a new house with the village shaman. Being educated on the many types of edible leaves and plants. Eating horned beatles, bees, grasshoppers. Attending a number of funerary proceedings. Attending an old fashioned wedding and a modern expensive wedding. Driving a motorbike. Being in two accidents caused by offending Thais. Getting Dengue fever twice. Two hospital stays. Enjoying the excellent services of Thai doctors. getting my teeth cleaned for $10.00 . Finding out first hand about thai police and the backward system of Thai justice. ( threats from my neighbour resulted in further threats from the police).

Visited many villages and village schools. Shocked by the Thai convention of driving - I no longer stop for most stop signs as few drivers do. I even drive the wrong way occasionally. The list is endless as I have been here three years.

Give it time - the list will get longer.

I bet you don't yet hang a red T shirt outside your house to ward off the widow ghost..................

Man I have never been to Isaan but after reading your post I feel that I must have been Isaanian at some point perhaps in a prior life. It just sounds so familiar.

Edited by Jimbolai

Good thread. The people of Isaan are, without a doubt, the nicest people i've ever met, anywhere on the planet. Salt of the Earth.

Done even mention the Bangkok residents in the same breath heheheheeheh, and i arent talking of the thais hahahahahaha

Well,I have been in Issaan (Udon Thani) for 7yrs now.Bought a falang house and have a Thai wife.I am enjoying life immensely. We have nearly all Thai neighbors and my wife gets the shout to come over for King Khau nearly every morning.I am also made welcome,and I get on with them all and their kids.I have changed my taste buds to suit the menus and enjoy all thai food that is devoid of heavy spices. Yes I too sometimes ride a bike on the wrong side of the road instead of going the extra mile and coming back on the other side,but not with the car. I do drink Archa as I find its the same as all thai beers.That is why I have gone overboard with Sangsom and coke(Zero) with M150,what a great drink and thirst quencher,and I can drink that all night without getting drunk or bloated out !!! I have grown a pig-tail. This is because my wife wanted to see if it would cover the bits that were worrying me (bald spots) and if works and all the Thai women tell me it looks good.I am 78yrs old and would never dare do that back in the old country---NZ. All this makes me feel younger and the people in the shops are always helpful and have a laugh with me as I try to describe in English what I want,Most Issaan people are happy and helpful,and appreciate if you can just say hello and thank you. Even the Police wave me on when they realize its me ,before I have a chance to get my licence out. I rarely go round the bars now as most heve their own little band of falang regulars who are only their to have a winge as to what has been happening to them today. I have more fun when the family come to my place.Only costs me a couple of Archas and a bit of a rice meal,especially when I put the Karaoke on and get them singing. Well that's my story ,and both my wife,an ex rice farmer family girl and me are happy with our little lot------ Udon is No1------ Dougalwai2.gif

Sounds like God's waiting room - but it is working for you, good luck Bluey.

Well,I have been in Issaan (Udon Thani) for 7yrs now.Bought a falang house and have a Thai wife.I am enjoying life immensely. We have nearly all Thai neighbors and my wife gets the shout to come over for King Khau nearly every morning.I am also made welcome,and I get on with them all and their kids.I have changed my taste buds to suit the menus and enjoy all thai food that is devoid of heavy spices. Yes I too sometimes ride a bike on the wrong side of the road instead of going the extra mile and coming back on the other side,but not with the car. I do drink Archa as I find its the same as all thai beers.That is why I have gone overboard with Sangsom and coke(Zero) with M150,what a great drink and thirst quencher,and I can drink that all night without getting drunk or bloated out !!! I have grown a pig-tail. This is because my wife wanted to see if it would cover the bits that were worrying me (bald spots) and if works and all the Thai women tell me it looks good.I am 78yrs old and would never dare do that back in the old country---NZ. All this makes me feel younger and the people in the shops are always helpful and have a laugh with me as I try to describe in English what I want,Most Issaan people are happy and helpful,and appreciate if you can just say hello and thank you. Even the Police wave me on when they realize its me ,before I have a chance to get my licence out. I rarely go round the bars now as most heve their own little band of falang regulars who are only their to have a winge as to what has been happening to them today. I have more fun when the family come to my place.Only costs me a couple of Archas and a bit of a rice meal,especially when I put the Karaoke on and get them singing. Well that's my story ,and both my wife,an ex rice farmer family girl and me are happy with our little lot------ Udon is No1------ Dougalwai2.gif

No that would be Florida

Eastbourne?

Gateway to the incontinent?

• Like 1

who on earth would move to Isaan??? is this for real?

Who on earth would rent an over-priced, shoe box in Bangkok to call home?

Apparently millions!

and QUITE A FEW MORE HAPPIER PEOPLE LIVING IN ISAAN,. WHICH WE CALL 'HOME.'-thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

My mother in law ignores me completely and now I ignore her. I was uncomfortable with this at first - now I feel like I really fit in

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

sounds like some of you people live among hicks and country bumpkins, eating animal guts on the floor. who would come all the way to an exotic place and live in the dust bowl of Thailand when you could be living by the beach or in the mountains?

who on earth would move to Isaan??? is this for real?

Who on earth would rent an over-priced, shoe box in Bangkok to call home?

Apparently millions!

and QUITE A FEW MORE HAPPIER PEOPLE LIVING IN ISAAN,. WHICH WE CALL 'HOME.'-thumbsup.gif

you couldn't pay me to live in Bangkok but living in some place like Isaan would be hell.

I don't know if this is an Isaan thing or Thaiwide but I find it strange when they put a few scoops of ice cream into a hot dog roll to eat.

Think yourself lucky. In Singapore they just throw the ice cream between two slices of wonderbread. Hot Dog roll, thats classy!