Retirement in Krabi.

I've just reached retirement age and am considering retirement in Krabi, well Ao Nang actually. I'd like to hear from any Brits living in Thailand on just a UK state pension, is it possible or even worth it? I've been informed I'll be getting £163pw, which at the moment is about 38,000baht per month. Will I still receive all of that in Thailand? Any advice would be helpful.

• Like 1
  • Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will receive what you are due even in Thailand, but be aware that your starting state pension will be frozen if you reside outside the UK. That is, you won't be eligible for any indexed annual increases.

• Like 1

Yes it is possible if you are carefull.

The Pension Service will send your pension to your bank account in Thailand.

As said, your pension will never increase as long as you live in Thailand.

As for long term Visas/Extensions ? You need 800,000 Baht in the bank or 65,000 Baht monthly Income or a combination of the two. Unless Married to a Thai.

• Like 2

In order to benefit for a one year non-immigrant retirement visa. you have to be at least 50 years of age, have a guaranteed monthly income of THB 65'000 or at least THB 800'000 deposited on a Thai bank account. In such a case you don't need to make visa runs, but only report every 90 days to the immigration office in Krabi town and you can extend it for another year, without being required to leave to country, provided you still have the monthly income or funds available. With monthly THB 38'000 you'll be on a tight budget and if you're required to make visa runs, it even will get more serious. Thai immigration has disallowed border runs with visas on entry, i.e. just get across the Malay border and return to Thailand. You won't get in anymore and you have to apply for a visa with a Thai consulate. As of August they will also disallow visa runs by air. A dual entry tourist visa valid for 2 x 60 days is about THB 5'000, but you have to apply for it in the UK or with a Thai consulate outside Thailand.

• Like 1

In order to benefit for a one year non-immigrant retirement visa. you have to be at least 50 years of age, have a guaranteed monthly income of THB 65'000 or at least THB 800'000 deposited on a Thai bank account. In such a case you don't need to make visa runs, but only report every 90 days to the immigration office in Krabi town and you can extend it for another year, without being required to leave to country, provided you still have the monthly income or funds available. With monthly THB 38'000 you'll be on a tight budget and if you're required to make visa runs, it even will get more serious. Thai immigration has disallowed border runs with visas on entry, i.e. just get across the Malay border and return to Thailand. You won't get in anymore and you have to apply for a visa with a Thai consulate. As of August they will also disallow visa runs by air. A dual entry tourist visa valid for 2 x 60 days is about THB 5'000, but you have to apply for it in the UK or with a Thai consulate outside Thailand.

In 2011 they were still doing runs to Lao from Pataya where they would drive you to Viatiane, put you up in a hotel and arrange the dual entry visa at the Thai Embassy and then drive you back into Pattaya the next day. This included some standing around at the border and at the embassy, but overall wasn't a bad trip.

I get by on just under 10k a month, rent for 1 year pre-paid (3200pm equiv), wife's shoe business covers utilities + wiffi (1,700), petrol and any titbits for friends & family. 10k car loan comes back on line in Sept after using up the tax refund.

As for long term Visas/Extensions ? You need 800,000 Baht in the bank or 65,000 Baht monthly Income or a combination of the two. Unless Married to a Thai.

After encountering so many folks (Brits) on TV talking about their pensions do not meet the minimum 65,000 baht/month for a retirement

visa in Thailand -- I'm wondered why U.K. state pensions so low?

I'm not trying to be a smart-alec, just honestly curious. Are U.K. state pensions something like social security in the U.S? Something

separate from regular retirement from a regular job?

I spend less than 38,000 baht a month, although my income is greater than that, and think I have a fairly comfortable life style and don't find myself skimping. I am not living in a village but a city, enjoy a drink or two and regularly eat western food. But as mentioned before your major concern could be health. If something goes wrong and you are not covered by insurance or have no reserves you are in trouble.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

After encountering so many folks (Brits) on TV talking about their pensions do not meet the minimum 65,000 baht/month for a retirement

visa in Thailand -- I'm wondered why U.K. state pensions so low?

I'm not trying to be a smart-alec, just honestly curious. Are U.K. state pensions something like social security in the U.S? Something

separate from regular retirement from a regular job?

yes

You could always split your time between UK and Thailand, it full time with that money could be difficult..living here, and you don't want to be penny pinching..

Whatever you decide all the best