Retirement in Krabi.

fasteddie

I've just reached retirement age and am considering retirement in Krabi, well Ao Nang actually. I'd like to hear from any Brits living in Thailand on just a UK state pension, is it possible or even worth it? I've been informed I'll be getting £163pw, which at the moment is about 38,000baht per month. Will I still receive all of that in Thailand? Any advice would be helpful.

• Like 1

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it is possible if you are carefull.

The Pension Service will send your pension to your bank account in Thailand.

As said, your pension will never increase as long as you live in Thailand.

As for long term Visas/Extensions ? You need 800,000 Baht in the bank or 65,000 Baht monthly Income or a combination of the two. Unless Married to a Thai.

• Like 2

In order to benefit for a one year non-immigrant retirement visa. you have to be at least 50 years of age, have a guaranteed monthly income of THB 65'000 or at least THB 800'000 deposited on a Thai bank account. In such a case you don't need to make visa runs, but only report every 90 days to the immigration office in Krabi town and you can extend it for another year, without being required to leave to country, provided you still have the monthly income or funds available. With monthly THB 38'000 you'll be on a tight budget and if you're required to make visa runs, it even will get more serious. Thai immigration has disallowed border runs with visas on entry, i.e. just get across the Malay border and return to Thailand. You won't get in anymore and you have to apply for a visa with a Thai consulate. As of August they will also disallow visa runs by air. A dual entry tourist visa valid for 2 x 60 days is about THB 5'000, but you have to apply for it in the UK or with a Thai consulate outside Thailand.

• Like 1

In order to benefit for a one year non-immigrant retirement visa. you have to be at least 50 years of age, have a guaranteed monthly income of THB 65'000 or at least THB 800'000 deposited on a Thai bank account. In such a case you don't need to make visa runs, but only report every 90 days to the immigration office in Krabi town and you can extend it for another year, without being required to leave to country, provided you still have the monthly income or funds available. With monthly THB 38'000 you'll be on a tight budget and if you're required to make visa runs, it even will get more serious. Thai immigration has disallowed border runs with visas on entry, i.e. just get across the Malay border and return to Thailand. You won't get in anymore and you have to apply for a visa with a Thai consulate. As of August they will also disallow visa runs by air. A dual entry tourist visa valid for 2 x 60 days is about THB 5'000, but you have to apply for it in the UK or with a Thai consulate outside Thailand.

In 2011 they were still doing runs to Lao from Pataya where they would drive you to Viatiane, put you up in a hotel and arrange the dual entry visa at the Thai Embassy and then drive you back into Pattaya the next day. This included some standing around at the border and at the embassy, but overall wasn't a bad trip.

I get by on just under 10k a month, rent for 1 year pre-paid (3200pm equiv), wife's shoe business covers utilities + wiffi (1,700), petrol and any titbits for friends & family. 10k car loan comes back on line in Sept after using up the tax refund.

As for long term Visas/Extensions ? You need 800,000 Baht in the bank or 65,000 Baht monthly Income or a combination of the two. Unless Married to a Thai.

After encountering so many folks (Brits) on TV talking about their pensions do not meet the minimum 65,000 baht/month for a retirement

visa in Thailand -- I'm wondered why U.K. state pensions so low?

I'm not trying to be a smart-alec, just honestly curious. Are U.K. state pensions something like social security in the U.S? Something

separate from regular retirement from a regular job?

I spend less than 38,000 baht a month, although my income is greater than that, and think I have a fairly comfortable life style and don't find myself skimping. I am not living in a village but a city, enjoy a drink or two and regularly eat western food. But as mentioned before your major concern could be health. If something goes wrong and you are not covered by insurance or have no reserves you are in trouble.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

After encountering so many folks (Brits) on TV talking about their pensions do not meet the minimum 65,000 baht/month for a retirement

I'm not trying to be a smart-alec, just honestly curious. Are U.K. state pensions something like social security in the U.S? Something

yes

The state pension is low.

But is topped up with Social; security payments for those that need it.

Subsidised rent.

Free health care etc

You will receive what you are due even in Thailand, but be aware that your starting state pension will be frozen if you reside outside the UK. That is, you won't be eligible for any indexed annual increases.

To the OP, a lot depends on your lifestyle, if you only drink in moderation, and pay say about 8000 B per month and another 2000 for electric and water, even if you eat mostly Farang food, and are not contributing to a partner or her parents, you should do OK, there may other things to consider like visa runs and transport.

Yes, it is doable. Good luck.

The responses to your question is very good and balanced content from the contributors.

Retirement here is a very contextual decision and can only really be understood by being here for some time - I would suggest for this for you to invest £750 on a 3/6 months for flight and stay - Your living costs in a non expensive part of Bangkok can be around £550 / month (Rent, food, beer, travel, utilities) - The costs in saving from not being in UK will somewhat / pay offset the Bangkok cost for same things. And for example just on savings from utilities, House insurance, Local authority charge(UK), food, beer can be a significant contribution to lowering your offset amount.

Location - Making this investment will help you become a wiser man to make the choice more easy for you. I recommend you make Bangkok your base for the ease and options to travel from Bangkok to potential areas to investigate the location possibilities for longer term retirement

On the financial side - Your earnings from state pension are doable, but as everyone on this forum knows everyone has different needs and lifestyles - However there are many that are living on what your earning on state pension and having a good life here.

Health costs can be a problem if you have a sudden need arising and this is a worry that most of think about by being here - But also need to balance this with feeling better everyday by being here and possibly being more healthy - If you do not go off the rails with the temptations on offer.

State pension fixed - It does get fixed at a level once you retire here, but this is not immediately since you are not considered as being resident by UK until you have been here 2/3 years - Also you can reset the freeze on the retirement pension fixed point by periodically going back to UK and becoming a resident again in UK - The rules on all pension you do however need to talk with UK Gov pensions since there have been a number of changes in how long it takes to be a non resident and also what are the conditions for resetting the pension indexation as being regarded as resident in UK. So my details here are for general guidance only.

Your first paragraph, I have been here eight years, and never heard about that. What about other posters?

I live in Issan. The house next door to me has three bedrooms, kitchen and a living room. 5 years old. rents out for 5,500 bath per month. There are more older houses with 2 bedrooms and small living rooms that rent out for 2,500 bath per month . None of these houses have air conditioning. But it would help you budget. You could install a air con. then if you leave could sell to owner or take it with you.

The state pension is low.

But is topped up with Social; security payments for those that need it.

Subsidised rent.

Free health care etc

... none of which he will receive when he moves to Thailand...

Edited by Swiss1960

To Fasteddie,

Forgot to mention that the border run is around 70 kilometers from here A bit over an hour on bus . Buses leave every 30 mins.The houses are about 1 kilometer from the main road. with good shopping in the area.

OP: Like others have said, it is possible depending on your lifestyle expectations... it would NOT be possible for me to live on that money (well... could be but don't want to...)

Assume you have been to Thaiand many times? How much did you spend on food, beer, transport etc? You probably know about the prices.

What kind of appartment do you want to live in? Is small, maybe without Aircon ok for you? How far out of the centres are you willing to live?

And finally... do you intend to live alone or are you thinking about finding yourself a partner? Then your living costs would go up. Can you afford that?

Without any knowledge of your expectations for the life in Thaiand, the answer really is: it CAN be done, but NOT by everybody

• Like 1

The responses to your question is very good and balanced content from the contributors.

Retirement here is a very contextual decision and can only really be understood by being here for some time - I would suggest for this for you to invest £750 on a 3/6 months for flight and stay - Your living costs in a non expensive part of Bangkok can be around £550 / month (Rent, food, beer, travel, utilities) - The costs in saving from not being in UK will somewhat / pay offset the Bangkok cost for same things. And for example just on savings from utilities, House insurance, Local authority charge(UK), food, beer can be a significant contribution to lowering your offset amount.

Location - Making this investment will help you become a wiser man to make the choice more easy for you. I recommend you make Bangkok your base for the ease and options to travel from Bangkok to potential areas to investigate the location possibilities for longer term retirement

On the financial side - Your earnings from state pension are doable, but as everyone on this forum knows everyone has different needs and lifestyles - However there are many that are living on what your earning on state pension and having a good life here.

Health costs can be a problem if you have a sudden need arising and this is a worry that most of think about by being here - But also need to balance this with feeling better everyday by being here and possibly being more healthy - If you do not go off the rails with the temptations on offer.

State pension fixed - It does get fixed at a level once you retire here, but this is not immediately since you are not considered as being resident by UK until you have been here 2/3 years - Also you can reset the freeze on the retirement pension fixed point by periodically going back to UK and becoming a resident again in UK - The rules on all pension you do however need to talk with UK Gov pensions since there have been a number of changes in how long it takes to be a non resident and also what are the conditions for resetting the pension indexation as being regarded as resident in UK. So my details here are for general guidance only.

Your first paragraph, I have been here eight years, and never heard about that. What about other posters?

Can you be more specific - It is not clear what you are asking.

You will receive what you are due even in Thailand, but be aware that your starting state pension will be frozen if you reside outside the UK. That is, you won't be eligible for any indexed annual increases.

"if you reside outside the UK" is not correct. There is a list of countries where you continue to get annual rises which includes all the EU countries and several others, but the only country in this region where you will get rises is the Philippines.