TOEIC scores - is there a scam?

Some colleagues have taken this test in Bangkok. Others who are not as good claim scores which are almost "perfect".

The guys with these almost "perfect scores" are from African countries. Cameroon, Nigeria, Uganda.

Those who recruit, have you come across this phenomenon?

Or do you have colleagues with limited vocab, thick accents etc. but almost perfect TOEIC scores?

Is it easy to falsify such a confirmation letter? What is going on?

Just wondering...

I know of "graduates" from the University of Buea ( Cameroon) with bachelors of Education that have been completed in 3 yrs (i thought it should take 4 yrs) and their names do not appear on the universities online list of graduates. Dodgy as hell (but cheap). Time to clean them out along with last weeks immigration offenders.

I know of "graduates" from the University of Buea ( Cameroon) with bachelors of Education that have been completed in 3 yrs (i thought it should take 4 yrs) and their names do not appear on the universities online list of graduates. Dodgy as hell (but cheap). Time to clean them out along with last weeks immigration offenders.

Whenever I had posted an add at ajarn. com for my former schools, all the Cameroonians had a degree in education from Buea, with huge mistakes on their "degrees". Wrong or missing dates, etc...never ever transcripts.....

All were signed by the same Professor with a German sounding name. A whole group of them was being brought to a school in Sisaket, all had a valid TL issued from the TCT.

One had a TOEIC score of 390. Yep, seems to be the perfect time to "clean up. " No discrimination here. It does smell very fishy, as most of them can hardly communicate in English.

I saw one TOEIC certificate of a Cameroonian, as part of a resume, where they'd changed the scores. A pretty bad result of using photo shop and i had made mine as well, so I know what one should look like.

He wasn't invited for an interview, but might work somewhere else now. There's a Thai lady in Surin who seems to make good money getting them a teeeechiingg jopp.facepalm.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

From what I understand, The University of Beua is an English speaking university, as opposed to whatever language they usually speak in Camaroon, kinda like studying in an international program. Which I think is why there are a lot of English teachers from there.

There likely is corruption when it comes to TOEIC certificates, but from what I've been told a TOEIC test, is a multi choice test of your grammar and vocabulary, rather than a test of your actual ability to speak. At least that's what I have been told, I've never personally had much to do with TOEIC tests, and have always been advised that IELTS is a better way to measure someone's level of English.

• Like 1

From what I understand, The University of Beua is an English speaking university, as opposed to whatever language they usually speak in Camaroon, kinda like studying in an international program. Which I think is why there are a lot of English teachers from there.

There likely is corruption when it comes to TOEIC certificates, but from what I've been told a TOEIC test, is a multi choice test of your grammar and vocabulary, rather than a test of your actual ability to speak. At least that's what I have been told, I've never personally had much to do with TOEIC tests, and have always been advised that IELTS is a better way to measure someone's level of English.

A TOEIC test only shows the ability in reading and understanding spoken English.

The test is divided into two parts. First part is listening, second part reading.

Neither any grammar capability, nor ability in speaking skills involved.

I think it's a scam where some of them have found a way to get completely legal, TCT doesn't know how to check on their Beua degrees.

Don't you think that it's obvious that all degrees were signed by the same people?

And no transcripts. Okay, they might not have enough paper, as a developing country, roughly speaking.

We had two visitors at a seminar for Thai teachers, who were always trying to have a conversation with me, but I didn't really understand what they're trying to say.

The female has got my former job now and I doubt that the kids understand her. ( In my opinion).-facepalm.gif

Edited by sirchai

Sirchai said:

"I saw one TOEIC certificate of a Cameroonian, as part of a resume, where they'd changed the scores. A pretty bad result of using photo shop and i had made mine as well, so I know what one should look like."

Did you just admit to a crime?

What score is required for non native speakers here that have to take the test?

• Like 1

I have interviewed a number of teachers from Cameroon. Some years ago, we hired a teacher from Nigeria and one from Uganda, both are still working there. There is also one upper level mathematics teacher, but I can't remember what country he is from.

Part of Cameroon is English speaking and a part is French speaking. Of the Cameroonians I've interviewed, all were from British Cameroon and all spoke English quite well, but had surprisingly low TOEIC scores -- not too low, but I was surprised they didn't have a higher score. Several had scores in the 700's.

• Like 1

Sirchai said:

"I saw one TOEIC certificate of a Cameroonian, as part of a resume, where they'd changed the scores. A pretty bad result of using photo shop and i had made mine as well, so I know what one should look like."

Did you just admit to a crime?

What score is required for non native speakers here that have to take the test?

I apologize for my- indeed- irritating post.Jut wanted to say that I had to sit in a TOEIC test in Bangkok and didn't use photo shop to pop it up.

Even flight attendants should have a score of at least 600 out of 950 possible points.Same goes for teachers. But a score of 600, or less is so piss-poor,that those guys shouldn't be allowed to teach English.

A score of 600 is similar to a sixth grader's command in English, who grows up in an English speaking country.

The test is as easy as getting a Thai drivers license.-thumbsup.gif

Edited by sirchai