15 North Koreans detained Sunday

Lite Beer

There has been a route for people fleeing NK for years, if they could get to Thailand and the SK embassy, they were considered safe. Thailand has been turning a blind eye to these poor people for years. They are fleeing a military dictatorship and will be given new lives in democratic SK.

Now that Thailand has a military dictatorship they are arresting NK refugees. I hopethey are not sent back, but worry that they might be.

Will the Thai Junta support the democratic SK or the Military dictatorship in NK?

Under the present censorship rules in Thailand we probably will never know. what a sorry state we are in.

North Koreans have always been arrested for illegal entry and thrown in local police jails in Thailand where they stay until transported to the immigration jail in Bangkok. Then they wait for more months until the South Korean embassy sort out the paper work, it's a very slow process.

The documentary that I saw had a group of NK refugees that made it to the SK embassy and were given temp documents the very same day. That was under a democratic government here. I cannot find any other cases where they were arrested in Thailand, I believe that this is unusual and worry that it is a new thing under the Junta. I hope you are right and that our Junta are not as bad as I think that they might be.

We will probbly never know the truth under the present censorship of the press.

Yes, the censorship of the press. I wonder just how did we even find out about this story when they obviously wanted to cover it all up and quietly ship them back to North Korea??

The Thai authorities have always detained any they find who haven't made it to the South Korean embassy. Some good background is in the following link, which was written in November 2006, and includes the statement "According to official Thai statistics, more than 400 illegal North Koreans have been detained so far this year, up significantly from the 80 nabbed in 2005". As the previous coup took place on September 2006, just whose government was detaining all these people?

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Korea/HK09Dg01.html

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There has been a route for people fleeing NK for years, if they could get to Thailand and the SK embassy, they were considered safe. Thailand has been turning a blind eye to these poor people for years. They are fleeing a military dictatorship and will be given new lives in democratic SK.

Now that Thailand has a military dictatorship they are arresting NK refugees. I hopethey are not sent back, but worry that they might be.

Will the Thai Junta support the democratic SK or the Military dictatorship in NK?

Under the present censorship rules in Thailand we probably will never know. what a sorry state we are in.

North Koreans have always been arrested for illegal entry and thrown in local police jails in Thailand where they stay until transported to the immigration jail in Bangkok. Then they wait for more months until the South Korean embassy sort out the paper work, it's a very slow process.

The documentary that I saw had a group of NK refugees that made it to the SK embassy and were given temp documents the very same day. That was under a democratic government here. I cannot find any other cases where they were arrested in Thailand, I believe that this is unusual and worry that it is a new thing under the Junta. I hope you are right and that our Junta are not as bad as I think that they might be.

Yes, the censorship of the press. I wonder just how did we even find out about this story when they obviously wanted to cover it all up and quietly ship them back to North Korea??

The Thai authorities have always detained any they find who haven't made it to the South Korean embassy. Some good background is in the following link, which was written in November 2006, and includes the statement "According to official Thai statistics, more than 400 illegal North Koreans have been detained so far this year, up significantly from the 80 nabbed in 2005". As the previous coup took place on September 2006, just whose government was detaining all these people?

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Korea/HK09Dg01.html

Thanks for the link, very illuminating. I hope this Junta continues with the arrangement.

Send them straight back to where they come from. If they want a better life then they, along with their fellow countryman, need to fight for one.

Obviously you are still in that coma.... or you should be... these poor people have been forced into fleeing their home country... have spent every penny they and their famlies could raise to pay the transport fees and pay the border guards in NK. They have travelled in-cognito through China and a long long walk into Laos. The Laos government will send them back to NK if caught there. Then they have another long and dangerous walk through Laos. Then they have to cross the Mekong river to get to Thailand where they thankfully get refugee states.

You seem to know, in great detail, this group's movements and financial status. Do you know them personally ? Did you travel the journey with them ?

Asylum seekers generally aren't "poor" as you put when compared to their fellow countrymen regardless of where they come from. But they are opportunists to the contrary. Poor people wouldn't have the financial means or the physical strength for such an epic journey.

My argument is that if they aren't happy with the regime then it is time for the North Korean people to get a back bone and revolt. Like what has happened with the Arab spring and Ukraine. They have been sitting in their own pile of inaction for way too long

And yes. I am still in a coma. And prefer to be as often as possible.

Send them straight back to where they come from. If they want a better life then they, along with their fellow countryman, need to fight for one.

How very clever, thoughtful, American and humane.

Pity the rest of us never could never think of it.

• Like 1

they will be given asylum status, before going anywhere they chose to. Slow news day. So far now arrests in bkk

I hope you are rite.

Have they not in the past sent them back.

Not wanting to turn this into a political issue but will be interesting to see how the new government handles them.

I am sure refuge status is on their list of to do things but down quite a ways. This shall bring it to the top of the list.

Grant them refuge status.

It would be some thing to be proud of.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

vile really vile post..your ignorance is outstanding this afternoon..you really should delete your post ...

No! They are law breakers.

Well winstonc , to err is human and you did give him a chance to redeem himself, But............he chose not to.

If they have broken any law Coma then it can be no worse of a transgression than the law you break every time you breath and further sustain the empty, soulless, un-compassionate life of yours.

These people deserve a slap up meal, a hot bath, a nice hotel and a sponsor, where can I donate. They have just been caught at the end of a journey that took more balls than most of us on Thai Visa could muster together in a life time. Wow!

Don't often agree with you GJ but this one you are spot on.

100% and well said and i would donate as well.

The PTP sore losers will never give up trying to justify the righteousness of the Thaksin led parties. Facts are immaterial to them.

But it will be interesting in seeing how they handle this.

Hopefully refuge status and a limousine ride to and from the SK embassy.

Life in North Korea is hard enough. I can't imagine the hardships just to get here from NK.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

vile really vile post..your ignorance is outstanding this afternoon..you really should delete your post ...

Well winstonc , to err is human and you did give him a chance to redeem himself, But............he chose not to.

If they have broken any law Coma then it can be no worse of a transgression than the law you break every time you breath and further sustain the empty, soulless, un-compassionate life of yours.

These people deserve a slap up meal, a hot bath, a nice hotel and a sponsor, where can I donate. They have just been caught at the end of a journey that took more balls than most of us on Thai Visa could muster together in a life time. Wow!

Don't often agree with you philw but you are dead on rite here and I also would donate.thumbsup.gif

Don't often agree with you philw but you are dead on rite here and I also would donate.thumbsup.gif

I have noticed that most of us who can prove fierce adversaries on TV actually have little to disagree about with each other when politics is taken out of the loop. Currently, without the constant daily clash of Thaksin/Abhisit/red/yellow/any other colour you choose we all get along just fine. Spooky eh!, It shows you where all of our stress is in life. There are a few clear exceptions to the rule as this thread clearly illuminates ;) You know what they say....When in a large group of people, if you find that there is no w****r, then it is you! I think most people on TV could safely join this thread now as the one belonging to this thread has made his identity quite clear ;) Peace to my political enemies, I am enjoying the period of relaxation.

• Like 1

That has to be the most bizarre exchange of views I have ever read. You do know how people are treated in North Korea?

It's not unusual for North Koreans to flee NK via China and through Thailand. In a documentary that I saw they can go to the South Korean embassy in Bangkok and get a permit to enter South Korea, it's too risky to attempt to go direct from North to South Korea, and they can't get the help from a North Korean embassy in China as it's a neibhbouring country.

In this case you can bet that none of the North Koreans had any intention of spending any longer in Thailand than they absoloutely had to.

The arrests are seldom published, but any North Korean found wandering around will be arrested and charged with illegal entry. This has been so for years and years.

Many years ago I saw a group of NK women and children locked up in Phuping police station (Chiangmai) the cops said that they had been there over 3 months. Another time I saw a large group of NK men, women and children locked up in the Mai Sai immigration jail which is on the left side as one approaches the border. The holding cells are on the second floor to prevent visits and escapes.

NK usually never make it to the South Korean embassy on their own, so the documentary is nonsense, as the refugees are uneducated, can't speak any English, but sometimes know a few words of Thai, especially the word for cigarettes. They are basically farmers and labourers.

That has to be the most bizarre exchange of views I have ever read. You do know how people are treated in North Korea?

North Koreans like these refugees would simply be eliminated in their home country but Thailand has and always will treat them as criminals, the Thais refuse to give them refugee status and treat them quite appalling in that horrible overcrowded immigration jail in Thung Mahemek Bangkok. The Thais are very nasty jailors with no compassion for foreigners, especially foreigners who cannot speak at least some Thai.

• Like 1

Contact the South Korean Embassy. They will be more than happy to come up and take them off of your hands. It's kinda the same deal as when Germans used to escape from the People's Paradise into the cold, cruel Capitalist West.

Hmm, maybe they know something?

they will be given asylum status, before going anywhere they chose to. Slow news day. So far now arrests in bkk

As Thailand is a member of the UN, I would hope that they are treated as asylum seekers and given that status by Thailand Immigration, nothing else is permissible.

Being a UN member means nothing, I'm pretty sure Thailand has not signed up to the UN refugee convention and as such does not recognise these people as genuine refugees. They may well not be able to claim asylum.

I sincearly hope Thailand does not send them back, it's near impossible to imagine how difficult and frightening it is to escape from N. Korea.

I really guess/hope you'r joking!facepalm.gif

• Like 1

North Korea won't change until the people there force it to change. Because after all these years of NK insanity it has turned into a joke of a childish communist dictatorship, with no end in sight. hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJ. beatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAu crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif
Doc Blake

• Like 1

Obviously you are still in that coma.... or you should be... these poor people have been forced into fleeing their home country... have spent every penny they and their famlies could raise to pay the transport fees and pay the border guards in NK. They have travelled in-cognito through China and a long long walk into Laos. The Laos government will send them back to NK if caught there. Then they have another long and dangerous walk through Laos. Then they have to cross the Mekong river to get to Thailand where they thankfully get refugee states.

You seem to know, in great detail, this group's movements and financial status. Do you know them personally ? Did you travel the journey with them ?

Asylum seekers generally aren't "poor" as you put when compared to their fellow countrymen regardless of where they come from. But they are opportunists to the contrary. Poor people wouldn't have the financial means or the physical strength for such an epic journey.

My argument is that if they aren't happy with the regime then it is time for the North Korean people to get a back bone and revolt. Like what has happened with the Arab spring and Ukraine. They have been sitting in their own pile of inaction for way too long

And yes. I am still in a coma. And prefer to be as often as possible.

You then have never met South Americans who have given everything up to travel covertly thousands of miles to enter the US illegally with literally just the clothes on their backs. Their only strength is the attraction of freedom and hope for a better life.

whistling.gif I don't know why they came here, and you don't know why they came here.

Until we do know, dont make the assumption that they are refugess flleing North Koreaa.

They MAY be that, but in the other hand that is a drug area. isn't it?

North Korean DIPLOMATS have been caught smuggling drugs before.

Until we know what they are doing here, don't be making assumptions on what they came here for.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
  • Like 1

Others refered to you as vile. I would describe your post as soulless.

I will say that your comments reflect a degree of inhumanity and a lack of compassion. It also appears that you may not understand the futility of resistance in an authoritarian country such as North Korea.

If you can put the "Poison Pen", down for a bit, Google, North Korea and go forth from there. A Google of inhumanity, compassion and similar virtues may also enlighten you.

• Like 1

I agree with others this sentiment is unhelpful and demonstrates a significant lack of understanding and compassion. Shame on you coma.

• Like 1

Perhaps they are.

I used to think and run my life in black and white terms.

I used to believe that the law was unbreakable and inflexible.

I used to believe that transgressors will be punished to the full extent without exception. Can't read it, can't understand it, not my problem. Go back to where you came from. Compliance is futile. Take no prisoners. Shoot them all and let God sort out the innocent.

Spray and pray that you shot the right ones. Black and white. No room for compassion or compromise. I am right. You are wrong. Sympathy can be found in the dictionary between sh*t and sphyilis. I only know I am right. Fight your way out weakling. Don't cry. Don't feel. Drown it all out in booze like a real man.

It all sounds crazy and, yes, it was. These thoughts, perhaps worded a bit differently, can be found in many posts. I only hope that the posters find their inner peace, compassion and humanity before they take their last breath.

I also hope their last mortal words are not "They broke the law. Send them back".

Edited by Benmart
  • Like 1

whistling.gif I don't know why they came here, and you don't know why they came here.

Until we do know, dont make the assumption that they are refugess flleing North Koreaa.

They MAY be that, but in the other hand that is a drug area. isn't it?

North Korean DIPLOMATS have been caught smuggling drugs before.

Until we know what they are doing here, don't be making assumptions on what they came here for.

Maybe, since disguising a drug smuggling operation with 15 North Korean refugees is probably a brilliant way of flying 'under the radar'