Advice on social security

My Filipina girlfriend works for a government school in Samut Prakan, teaching grade 1 to grade 6. The school have provided visa and work permit which they made my girlfriend pay, today they have told her that they will not pay the social security fee and that she has to pay it. Please advise if this is correct. Thanks

If she has a work permit, then I would presume she is a permanent employee (after passing the 4 months probation). The school is obligated to providing health coverage for her (they should have private insurance for those on probation, I think). If they do not have an insurance plan, then by law (I think this is right - need to check) they enroll her in the social security system. This is how it worked with my company - I have been with the SS for 17 years and am permitted to continue it now that I'm retired.(roughly 400 baht a month). If the school has no insurance for her (even though it's a legal obligation), then she should contact the Labour Department. This is one govt department that doesn't mess around (nor does the Labour Court). If she has passed her probation and is a full time employee, then she should not fear any reprisals from her school if she insists on health coverage - as I said, the Labour Court doesn't mess around. Maybe you should also contact the SS office in Nonthaburi - they're very good folk.

If anything I've said above isn't correct, I hope some kind soul will put it right.

• Like 1

This Thai social security is part of the law. Once she's got her work permit, the school has to pay the same amount in, what your gf has to pay.

It's 600 baht right now and worth to have.

Please see:

http://www.eflthailand.com/social-security-office-thailand-sso.html

http://www.sso.go.th/wpr/eng/background.html

Edited by sirchai

Thanks for the replies guys, I asked because I did not know if the rule was different for teachers here. My girlfriend called the SS office yesterday who said they would call the school today to talk to them.

To be honest we feel the school are trying to force my girlfriend to quit because she is pregnant. They have started by making her teach up to 62 (yes 62) grade 1 children in her class, which is outrageous. They refuse and make her pay her own work permit and visa, also refuse to pay the SS stating that she has to pay full amount. I told my girlfriend to fight them all the way, then leave after she wins...

To be honest we feel the school are trying to force my girlfriend to quit because she is pregnant.

​ And you're not married. You don't know this, and you don't know that. Great. So, she'll give birth sooner, or later and won't be available for how long?

Are you a farang, or Filipino?

Ever heard of more civilized countries, where employers make a contract, if a woman gets pregnant, they're out.

Prepare yourself for a difficult time and I truly hope that you are the real father.Not all people are as honest as I am with you now.

Best of luck!!!

Edited by sirchai

It should be 50 - 50. Nowadays the contribution is 750 baht. Whoever I know pays this much and the school pays the other half.

I believe she has encountered a very "hungry" head teacher. Schools are one of the most corrupt institutions in Thailand, so I am not surprised that they try to avoid paying their share.

It should be 50 - 50. Nowadays the contribution is 750 baht. Whoever I know pays this much and the school pays the other half.

I believe she has encountered a very "hungry" head teacher. Schools are one of the most corrupt institutions in Thailand, so I am not surprised that they try to avoid paying their share.

It was 750 baht for many years and is 600 baht now. Might have changed again....

" It was 750 baht for many years and is 600 baht now. Might have changed again...."

While working, it's a percentage of your salary, up to a max of 750 baht (for employee and employer - each = 1500).

600 baht a month would indicate one of two things.

1 Your salary is 12k a month. 5% of that is 600.

2 The government is again helping the folks by subsidizing the amount due. They've been doing that on and off for the last couple of years.

OP

" I told my girlfriend to fight them all the way, then leave after she wins..."

What will that accomplish? If they really do want her to leave, and she leaves, they win.

??

" It was 750 baht for many years and is 600 baht now. Might have changed again...."

While working, it's a percentage of your salary, up to a max of 750 baht (for employee and employer - each = 1500).

2 The government is again helping the folks by subsidizing the amount due. They've been doing that on and off for the last couple of years.

OP

What will that accomplish? If they really do want her to leave, and she leaves, they win.

??

Seems your second point is right.

What really bugs me is that they give all foreign teachers a 14 digit number, that doesn't even exist. It usually shows age, gender, etc...but it's just made up.

Had a friend, who works at an Amphoe office, trying to "look" mine up, typed my number in, but doesn't exist. So he phoned the social security in Sisaket and they're lying about all and said that there'd be also my passport number on it Which is-of course- not true.

The reason might be the social security itself, as your Filipino gf would also be entitled to receive money for her child, as far as I remember 500 baht/month, plus paying for the hospital where she'll give birth. Did she tell them that she was pregnant before she'd started?

Something's wrong with the OP's story, sorry.

But I do agree with your last sentences, would like to add ten more question marks to it. Cheers-wai.gif

Edited by sirchai

OP

??

What really bugs me is that they give all foreign teachers a 14 digit number, that doesn't even exist. It usually shows age, gender, etc...but it's just made up.

Had a friend, who works at an Amphoe office, trying to "look" mine up, typed my number in, but doesn't exist. So he phoned the social security in Sisaket and they're lying about all and said that there'd be also my passport number on it Which is-of course- not true.

The reason might be the social security itself, as your Filipino gf would also be entitled to receive money for her child, as far as I remember 500 baht/month, plus paying for the hospital where she'll give birth. Did she tell them that she was pregnant before she'd started?

But I do agree with your last sentences, would like to add ten more question marks to it. Cheers-wai.gif

I have a 13 digit number. Works fine, both at the office when I pay my one dues, now working at private school, and when I have hospital treatment.

OP

??

I have a 13 digit number. Works fine, both at the office when I pay my one dues, now working at private school, and when I have hospital treatment.

I'm sorry, it's a 13 digit number. But you do not exist when they're trying to "look you up" online. Of course do they have to accept that card at a hospital.

But foreigners are NOT registered, as Thais are. Just checked on mine and will be able to take 70,000 baht out next year when I turn 55.

Will buy a lot of Somtham, or might be some money for my new big bike,, if I'm still alive then....we're all entitled to get the whole amount back, when 55.

You can tell them to print out what's being paid in already.Cheers-coffee1.gif

"But foreigners are NOT registered, as Thais are."

But you are in the SS system. That's all that counts, really.

"Just checked on mine and will be able to take 70,000 baht out next year when I turn 55."

"...we're all entitled to get the whole amount back, when 55."

You're going to be very disappointed. You don't get the whole amount back, just the part that goes towards the retirement benefit.

You've been able to use the health benefit portion, so no refund of those funds. They've already been spent.

If you've been paying in long enough to get 70k back from just the retirement portion, then kudos to you.

Let us know how that works for you next year when you turn 55.

• Like 1

"But foreigners are NOT registered, as Thais are."

But you are in the SS system. That's all that counts, really.

"Just checked on mine and will be able to take 70,000 baht out next year when I turn 55."

"...we're all entitled to get the whole amount back, when 55."

You're going to be very disappointed. You don't get the whole amount back, just the part that goes towards the retirement benefit.

You've been able to use the health benefit portion, so no refund of those funds. They've already been spent.

If you've been paying in long enough to get 70k back from just the retirement portion, then kudos to you.

Let us know how that works for you next year when you turn 55.

I'd just visited them to get my dentist refund and a bill from another hospital. They told me that I can take that full amount out next year, right now 68,685 baht.

If it's true, I'm happy, if not, I won't die, why would they lie?