Where is this fine fishing to be had?

UKJASE

13 military guys on a several day fishing trip bertween Trat and Chumpon

i thought the gulf of thailand had very few fish stocks in it...... those guys have absolutely caned it !!

how come they have caught so much, but here in hua hin i am always hearing people say the sea fishing is poor?

unless they have been using their milatary explosives to stun the fish w00t.gif

Usually places like Burma bank...

this is on the east coast apparently Jack according to the guy above.... i am guessing burma bank is on the west right?

Yes, right below Burma/Myanmar funnily enough biggrin.png

I've seen guys crossing over from Ranong on videos and reports.

There's a couple of good spots dotted about the place, in the Andaman and in the Gulf of Thailand.

Fishing close to the Similan nature reserve is also supposed to be good for fish like GTs.

I realise your asking about that specific post but just letting you know about BB in case you hadn't heard of it.

• Like 1

I always liked to do a little math on the fishing reports in the Southern California newspapers back when I lived there.

It usually went something like this: 13 anglers onboard, 156 fish caught in 4 days of fishing.

A little quick math would boil down to 12 fish per angler, or 3 fish a day- or 1 fish for every 8 man-hours.

But the pictures of 156 fish lined up sure looked appealing...

If It was a trip with a bunch of buddies and we enjoyed each others' company- great. But the So Cal boats usually included a bunch of smelly strangers, with a few mean drunks just to make the trip more miserable.

Edited by impulse

• 2 weeks later...

There's plenty of fish in the gulf, but you need to put the time in. It obviously depends where you're fishing, but it also depends on when. I've been on expensive trips where I chartered a big boat and only caught small fish, and I've been on small boats and caught big fish. And on both sizes of boats I've had many, many days/nights where I caught nearly nothing. Yes, the gulf is overfished due to a lack of (or no) regulations, but there are fish. You don't have to pay for an expensive boat to catch fish... the locals know where to find fish. But like I said, even though there is a spot that typically holds fish, it depends on if they're biting that day. If I was going to spend loads of cash on a fishing boat, I'd opt for the 7 Seas Pro Shop boat that operates out of Pattaya. I've seen many videos of them jigging up loads of quality fish.

Edit: Also don't forget the freshwater fish. Snakeheads (plaa chon and plaa chado) are a really powerful and fun fish to catch and they're all over Thailand.

Edited by gavin310