Why Do Beggar Children Always Sleep?

thinknirmal

There is this young lady with a small child just in front of my office, begging for money. The child is always sleeping and I've never seen it being awake. How's it possible? Do they actually sedate the child? If yes, is something being done to curb such activities?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rented babies, drugged to the eyeballs. Common all over SE Asia.

Can anyone else verify this? Sounds crazy but in a poor part of the world hard to say...

Hanno is correct, kid is doped up to stop it crying, if it cries it needs feeding the woman with the kid aint the natural mother and cant feed it from her breast.

My mrs went to the police booth at the corner of Suk soi 4 and Suk a few years ago, she was basically told to piss off.

You can sit and watch the scum minders and controllers of these kids as they beg and flog their tack on Suk soi 4.

Dont shyt in my rice bowl is the order of the day in these parts, you can bet your bottom dollar someone somewhere is taking a cut.

• Like 2

Here in Jakarta also drugged. A lot of the locals are even ignorant to this, it's quite pathetic. The street kids playing ukuleles at the traffic lights into the early hours of the night, the leg-less beggars, the fake mums with their drugged up babies.. All of them report to a leader who pockets all the cash and gives them a salary.

It's a pretty grim existence but these people do not stand a chance in life. I'm often conflicted in what to do. All I know is they're still better off than the poor cvnts in India

Its hot and humid and the kids are bored.

Go to the markets, the kids of the vendors are usually asleep too in the heat.

Difference between taking a nap and not moving a single muscle during the 12-hour shift they pull. As mentioned by others: this is a highly organized business. They were common in HCMC 20 years ago and the authorities admitted that the kids were drugged when they broke up that business.

You obviously never had a baby or small child. They don't sleep 10 hours straight.

Drugged for sure.

And they probably don't get adequate sleep at night, especially if they are used as a prop in tourist areas like Walking Street in Pattaya.

Can't see why anyone profiting from a begging child would bother with the expense of drugging him/her. Keep him/her out on the street 20 hours a day and s/he's going to want to try to get some sleep. If the child is crying, so much the better for getting money from people distressed at seeing the kid unhappy/hungry/sick.

I wouldn't put too much credence in what some of the old dears on Thai Visa have spouted in this thread, Most of their "information" is of the urban legend sort that originates after drinking several cups of special "fortified" afternoon tea.

SuperStock_4186-11436.jpg

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

If you see any children on the street begging, give them some food not money. If you buy a cheap meal from a street vendor then you make two people happy and not the person who puts the children out on the street.

• Like 1

I never know what to do either. In Tachilek I once saw a man with no hands or feet. Another time I saw a man with awful sores on his legs rubbing them to make them worse. The other day in Vientiane a perfectly fit looking young guy with a whacked out looking one year old child came and sat practically at my feet with his pleading eyes indicating the child needed food. OK I gave him a little money but had the feeling someone in a Merc would come to pick him up later. Ah well I suppose 100B doesn't hurt either way.

In CM there are a group of blind musicians who really make an effort and it's always a pleasure to stop and listen to them and contribute a bit even though they are clearly raking it in.

I have no answer but I like to think that sometimes a little goes a long way.

Know for fact on suhkumvit it's organized syndicate controls most of the begging. Children are rented there is a market for children that women beggars can rent to raise their profits. And they are all drugged w sedatives. Very sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Yep, drugged as already been mentioned. As far as I know it's all very well organised, with the gang operators taking a large cut.

Is the Soi 7 Slider still around?

If you mean the guy known as the slug, he has been at the busy Sunday market in my village for the last three weeks. This is about 300 Ks north of Bangkok, I have also read (but I wouldn't take it as gospel) that this guy actually walks on crutches when he is "off duty".

Many years ago i used to work for Fords in Dagenham, Essex. I could sleep 10 hours on a 12 hour shift.

That's why I never bought a Ford!

What do you think was part of the reason Margaret Thatcher closed down Linwood in Scotland? Also, why did BMC in Bathgate close down?

It's really common for children in Siem Reap, Cambodia to carry around babies and ask people to buy milk for them. As soon as the mark leaves they turn around and sell the milk back to the market, collecting a commission. You can watch the entire process unfold from the top of the rooftop bar with the skateboard ramp at the end of pub street. South East Asia is crazy.

Last three times I've seen them on Sukhumvit, the kid was very much awake - in one case tucking into a happy meal. I think the drug thing is an expat myth.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Omg. The child is most likely malnourished and has no energy.

I understand you'd like to think like this, but the reality much more grim and other posts like being drugged are more likely.