Why Do Beggar Children Always Sleep?

thinknirmal

mmushr00m, on 10 Jun 2014 - 02:38, said:

Its hot and humid and the kids are bored.

Go to the markets, the kids of the vendors are usually asleep too in the heat.

..................as well as some of the vendors.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's organized crime, and it always hurts me to hear ppl saying that that is an urban legend.

Start asking questions and take pictures, see how quickly you are send on your way! If you keep bothering them with questions about the kid they might suddenly pull out a brand new iphone and in no time a police officer will come to send you on your way.

Offer food instead of money, they usually don't appreciate that at all.

Edited by spoonzor
  • Like 1

And they probably don't get adequate sleep at night, especially if they are used as a prop in tourist areas like Walking Street in Pattaya.

Can't see why anyone profiting from a begging child would bother with the expense of drugging him/her. Keep him/her out on the street 20 hours a day and s/he's going to want to try to get some sleep. If the child is crying, so much the better for getting money from people distressed at seeing the kid unhappy/hungry/sick.

I wouldn't put too much credence in what some of the old dears on Thai Visa have spouted in this thread, Most of their "information" is of the urban legend sort that originates after drinking several cups of special "fortified" afternoon tea.

SuperStock_4186-11436.jpg

Wait a minute. You actually believe all these beggars are real, and not run by the mafia ??

Wow words fail me. You need to get out more. Ok let me help you out a bit.

This couple pretending to be blind were knocking out 100,000 baht a month. You think

the mafia is going to let that kind of money slip by their fingers??

The real tragedy is the fact a lot of the beggar kids were bought from Cambodia and

Burma. Not really sure why the mafia does that, perhaps buying Thai kids is more

expensive, or the penalty for being caught is less if you have non Thai prop kids.....

Anyway a sickening business. As somebody noted buy them a meal or walk away.

Every baht you give to enrich the owners of these kids is just making a slave of

another kid in the future...

Well at least the begging mafia here does not blind people and cut off limbs like they

do in India. At least I hope so....

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/530749-thai-couple-poses-as-blind-beggars-earn-over-bt100000-a-month/

Edited by EyesWideOpen
  • Like 1

And they probably don't get adequate sleep at night, especially if they are used as a prop in tourist areas like Walking Street in Pattaya.

Can't see why anyone profiting from a begging child would bother with the expense of drugging him/her. Keep him/her out on the street 20 hours a day and s/he's going to want to try to get some sleep. If the child is crying, so much the better for getting money from people distressed at seeing the kid unhappy/hungry/sick.

I wouldn't put too much credence in what some of the old dears on Thai Visa have spouted in this thread, Most of their "information" is of the urban legend sort that originates after drinking several cups of special "fortified" afternoon tea.

SuperStock_4186-11436.jpg

Wait a minute. You actually believe all these beggars are real, and not run by the mafia ??

Wow words fail me. You need to get out more. Ok let me help you out a bit.

This couple pretending to be blind were knocking out 100,000 baht a month. You think

the mafia is going to let that kind of money slip by their fingers??

The real tragedy is the fact a lot of the beggar kids were bought from Cambodia and

Burma. Not really sure why the mafia does that, perhaps buying Thai kids is more

expensive, or the penalty for being caught is less if you have non Thai prop kids.....

Anyway a sickening business. As somebody noted buy them a meal or walk away.

Every baht you give to enrich the owners of these kids is just making a slave of

another kid in the future...

Well at least the begging mafia here does not blind people and cut off limbs like they

do in India. At least I hope so....

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/530749-thai-couple-poses-as-blind-beggars-earn-over-bt100000-a-month/

Very true and so sad.

In India they (Mafia) Break the babies arm. You give more to help a baby with a broken arm.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

probably drugged

I have no personal proof of this, but am informed that it is a commonly acknowledged practice, also that many of these kids are rented or farmed out to beggars who have to pay a proportion of their collection. w00t.gif

Yep, drugged as already been mentioned. As far as I know it's all very well organised, with the gang operators taking a large cut.

Is the Soi 7 Slider still around?

Some once told me that he has made a small Thai fortune. He is still going strong ! whistling.gif

Anecdotal evidence is all well and good, but common sense is more the divining factor here. Look to your own experiences with toddlers and their behaviour. This street begging is an abnormal situation for those kids, But let's not forget, they are still kids. They have basic needs and behave in the basic way of all kids. Even in an abnormal situation, they will still react like kids who want a caring environment. Basic kid needs. I've not seen it in 25 years of observing the beggars on the streets. These kids are drugged.

Ever noticed that when you are away, your dog gets 20 to 21 hours sleep a day, all animals including people are the same. The syndrome is boredom and children especially suffer from it, the body prefers to sleep away idle time. You do not need drugs, left restrained for long periods, even prisoners sleep. The issue is poverty and social conditioning. Little else

Yep, drugged as already been mentioned. As far as I know it's all very well organised, with the gang operators taking a large cut.

I think the guy you refer to is the same one that slides along the ground in Pratunaam Market. Those spots are a few kilometers away from one another. He must have someone moving him around. I admit, he is a pitiful sight. Would not want the cards he has been dealt.

Just means its not automated system. Mother beggar given downers to apply to the child whenever she wants. Sometimes the kids will be awake and play around but the young young babies are easier to handle when drugged. Thus the baby ones are more frequently drugged. These are usually the young babies under 2 years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Last three times I've seen them on Sukhumvit, the kid was very much awake - in one case tucking into a happy meal. I think the drug thing is an expat myth.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Don't get around much hey?? but agree, have seen as many asleep as awake - don't feel sorry a bit for any of them - with as many years as I have coming back & forth in the Kingdom (since 1969) when they grow up, they start selling/renting other kids, then selling themselves, then get old and start the cycle all over - the begger mafia is a real and live thing - haven't given them a baht in years - ever since I took a picture of one lady on our Soi, then happened to look at it again days later when I saw her with a different kid - I'd rather buy a lottery ticket than part with a single baht to these parasites. Don't get me started on the "Deaf & Dumb" sellers on Sukumvitt - their handlers are rich.

Begging syndicates procure small children to boost revenues. They normally drug the babies so that they sleep.

Sounds horrifying, but a documentary about country wide begging syndicates in India uncovered even more horrific practices. Not only are babies and small children kidnapped, but they are abused and tortured in order that they fear their controllers, the adults that run the syndicates, and beg as required, which means being on their feet all day long. They have daily targets and if these are not met the children are beaten and tortured. The torture can involve things like burning with cigarettes, or other forms of inflicting pain and trauma such as slapping or punching. To a small child all of this is terrifying and traumatic. As for babies, they are either kidnapped, rented for periods of time or bought, and sedated to keep them quiet...they are quiet because they have been drugged.

I have cited the case if the Indian syndicate, but don't be surprised if some of their methods are also used in Thailand.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Who hasnt seen the movie or play Oliver Twist ?

Its not a new idea.

You know it was a book, right? Little known author called Dickens?

Well at least someone has read/ seen it!

I used to enjoy the musical on TV every christmas.

My point is, the exploitation of children as beggars and theives has gone on for years, but has got worse.

Saw one time a women get out a taxi and say to another beggar she was late, half an hour later seen her in rags begging 200 yards further up the street. Also seen a girl taking money off a beggar and giving her a cup, if you notice all the beggars in the same area usually have the same cups.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I love calling out these female beggars with kids....the anger in their face just makes me laugh.:) Have one that likes to camp out close to my house. She avoids even looking at me now. She likes to squat beside the BTS path so you almost have to trip over her to get by. A few weeks back I was squeezed by another pedestrian and had no choice but to kick her plastic cup over as she leaves it in the middle of the sidewalk. Scattered everywhere....looked back and if looks could kill.:)

• 1 month later...

I don't mean to butt in, but (no pun intended) in researching this topic it seems there is an element of truth to most all of the comments. There seems to be research evidence that organised criminals are involved, that women with theirs or other children are involved, they come from Cambodia, that it can be financially lucrative for say Cambodians to come and beg, and there was a snopes type of article that supports drugging etc etc.

Of course it appears that it is a vast and lucrative enterprise for the Roma in Europe. One documentary traces the money all the way back to where they live.

In the 70s in Korea you would see a lot of poor folks doing what they could to get by, and others that did it cause they saw others made money at it. And where did they concentrate...around the Yanks military compounds....

I kinda think a little antihistamine to keep the little tyke quiet would be a no brainer. Of course the fact that there seems to be little enforcement of any laws that might exist might contribute to the problem. How long was it from the time the Bangkok Post had an article about LOS going to Tier 3 status and and article appeared in the same news paper about the enforcers taking action...a week?

There are poor people out there with few options and there are bad people out there taking advantage of the poor people out there to take advantage. Then the little tykes get to be big tykes sniffing' glue and they perpetuate the matter....

I think the guy you refer to is the same one that slides along the ground in Pratunaam Market. Those spots are a few kilometers away from one another. He must have someone moving him around. I admit, he is a pitiful sight. Would not want the cards he has been dealt.

I used to think that too, and would always give him a few baht when I saw him, but then I got to thinking about what exactly was forcing him to crawl along the pavement.

Losing the lower part of your leg must be a b1tch, but would it really condemn you to spend the rest of your days face down in the dirt?

Call me cynical, but in my book he is no better than the women who rent and drug the toddlers.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app