Hiring Nurses Privately In Thailand

I'd suggest talking with nurses at a local hospital.

I don't know of any agencies, but they should.

If you can't find what you need full time, there may be a few nurses who would work a day or two (each) a week to meet the schedule you need.

Do you actually need a RN, or would a caregiver who is not a nurse be acceptable?

Good luck.

Terry

• Like 1

If you can't find what you need full time, there may be a few nurses who would work a day or two (each) a week to meet the schedule you need.

Do you actually need a RN, or would a caregiver who is not a nurse be acceptable?

Good luck.

Terry

Nurses ... licklips.gif

OH ... good suggestion TerryLH, a care giver with a smattering of English might be a better fit.

Don't go crazy with the wage ... some recently posted that he paid Bt 1,000 a day which IMHO is twice the rate needed.

That said, a bonus and time off round Songkran time would be expected.

Maybe also consider a 'Maid' service and some of them could offer the extra service you need.

I have experience employing full time nursing care in Thailand, I can not recommend anyone but can help you avoid lots of frustration with incompetent Agencies who caused allot of problems and their staff were banned from the hospital even !!!

Will try to give you some tips.

Please though, more info, how is your Thai lingo skills ? Do you have a Thai living with you to translate ?

Do you speak English well ?

Do you want 24 / 7 care ? Live in.

Are there more serious problems that really need "Qualified Nurses" and not helpers, ( injections, sucking out fluids out of your lungs etc ). Most agencies consider a 3hr course as a Qualified Nurse we found in Thailand.

Whats your budget ? A real nurse will cost you more than you may think we found, they don't like giving up a stable job with benefits.

I am happy to reply via private message.

• Like 2

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR COMMENTS. VERY GRATEFUL TO YOU ALL.

FURTHER INFO REQUESTED

DO I SPEAK THAI-- NO

DO I SPEAK ENGLISH-- FLUENT

WOULD A CAREGIVER BE ACCEPTABLE INSTEAD OF A RN---- YES

HOW MUCH SHOULD I PAY FOR MAYBE 2 HOURS IN THE MORNING

MANY THANKS

One method to acquire a carer is to advertise in a local Thai newspaper. But be cautious if considering hiring a housekeeper/carer in Thailand.

Some of them can really be women of ill repute looking for an assignment because business is down in the town. Others can be from poor backgrounds encouraged by their parents or boyfriends to apply for the job, plus educated girls from middle-class families seeking any farang to support them in a lifestyle they are used to. Many maybe only interested in short time-work as a ploy to get a lot of money quickly from some gullible farang and could use deception to steal from you if they gain your trust.

From experience most will try it on for money, as considering your situation they will see you as being vulnerable and to be taken advantage of. Also worth keeping in mind that there is a scam in which some girls who have police contacts, could say that the farang touched them and threaten to report this to the police unless a lot of money changes hands, plus some have diseases even aids

If you do decide to take on one of these women, try to ensure she is well recommended and has some sort of references, but in Thailand you would be extremely lucky if the woman could manage to conjure up any valid checkable references.

Of course we are going to hear of some success stories, but taking a complete stranger into the home is a dangerous practise, especially for the elderly and infirm.

As one poster has already suggested, perhaps best to make some inquiries at a main hospital or maybe a neighbour could be interested in the job, otherwise it means taking a complete stranger into your home and giving them access to your personal effects and affairs will be at your own risk and discretion.

Payment for 2 hours morning work depends on what the job duties involve and how many days per month you will require her services. There is no set standards for how much wages a housekeeper/carer should earn and this is an arrangement that has to be made between the 2 parties. I suggest that you do a search online looking at other ads to see what sorts of wages others are offering as a guideline.

I contacted a hospital last year and they said they provide nursing services at home. It's wasn't cheap, but reasonable. Not sure if they would be called Registered Nurses though....

It sounds like you need somebody to really help you with your daily living tasks, as opposed to serious health issues. A caregiver might be a better fit, cheaper and easier to find.

Do you live in a village or condo? If so, check with the management or a neighbor. The "coconut vine" between the various maids is fairly strong.

Are there any assisted living places nearby? I visited one recently and they were offering all sorts of options. All very reasonable.

We've got a caregiver for my Mom, but she doesn't speak English. It is causing a bit of a problem as she can't tell my mom what to do, and she barely understands my mom. Luckily, wifey is around most of the times to help out.

Let's move this topic over the the heath forum. You might get some more replies over there. A link will be left in the general forum.

Topic Moved.

• Like 1

my appologies,

i will be living near Korat

Okay, boss - all the best - you're out of my area.

Incidentally, your knowledge might be of some interest to those who do not live in Korat and might move to your area

It would be nice if you could share those informations

I do know that a nurse register for part time work is maintained at government hospitals and expect someone on such a list would be willing to work short hours outside of hospital. For those in hospital is is an alternative to ICU for some as they can work a 12 hour shift at bedside to provide professional attention if family member help may not be enough or more training is required, as post operative.

It does not sound like you need a registered nurse. A nurse's aid would be fine. This can be arranged through any hospital but problem will be language. (Same would be true if hiring an unskilled caregiver).

Bangkok Hospital Ratchasima can certainly arrange this but would be very expensive. St. Mary's Hospital would be less expensive, while the least expensive source (other than finding someone by yourself) would be the provincial government hospital, but you'd need a Thai speaker to go with you to inquire. In addition to asking at the nursing office, chat up the nurses in the OPD and ER to put the word out. I'd suggest doing the same at the Fort Suranari Hospital (army hospital) and Royal Thai Air Force Wing 1 Hospital.

Advertising is a good idea. You might also want to post in the Issan forum, suggest you specify English speaking and list the duties as it might be that even a nurses aid is not necessary.

One thing to consider is if you need lifting. Thai girls will not lift people (nor should they as it would be dangerous for them they are too small). If you need lifting it would be best to hire a male helper. You said you are a wheelchair user but did not indicate how restricted you were.

Good luck.

Terry

Nurses ... licklips.gif

OH ... good suggestion TerryLH, a care giver with a smattering of English might be a better fit.

Don't go crazy with the wage ... some recently posted that he paid Bt 1,000 a day which IMHO is twice the rate needed.

That said, a bonus and time off round Songkran time would be expected.

Maybe also consider a 'Maid' service and some of them could offer the extra service you need.

David, don't offer opinions when you don't know the facts.

A qualified nurse, earns 800 Baht a day, basic salary, plus O/T or ambulance transferring costs.

Care givers in Thailand can not replace the nurses experience.

A lot of nurses do speak English.

But I have to admit, not many nurses would provide the "extra" services you mentioned.

OP, please contact your local hospital.

They will give you advice and help you to employ a proper nurse.

Cant help you with this one but possibly can give you some Info that may be useful.

The Mrs did a nurse aid course in Huahin and afterwards set up her own business there with mainly expat clients.

She had to give that up when I got sick and we had to move close to BKK for regular treatment.

However she still keeps in contact with one of her old clients, close to 90, who now lives in Penang Malaysia, his son looks after him but sometimes the son must go overseas and when he does she goes down to be with him, the old fella that is.

There is still a school for nurse aids in Huahin which may be able to help you find someone from your area.

They may even have a web site, don't know.