Foreign teachers in Thailand now need education degree?

The government won't make it a requirement to have a BEdu, if they did they'd need to adhere to the same standard for Thai teachers as well.

The degree in education requirement has been a requirement since 2003. See 'Teachers and Educational Personnel Act BE 2546 (AD 2003)', section 44, paragraph a2. The Act applies to both Thai and foreign teachers.

Edited by aidenai
  • Like 2

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The government won't make it a requirement to have a BEdu, if they did they'd need to adhere to the same standard for Thai teachers as well.

The degree in education requirement has been a requirement since 2003. See 'Teachers and Educational Personnel Act BE 2546 (AD 2003)', section 44, paragraph a2. The Act applies to both Thai and foreign teachers.

Yep. But they obviously made the wrong decision. It seems that they're planning to change it- again-, as they've cancelled the tests.

Would be great to know how many foreigners who've got a teacher's license are on fake degrees. Next joke is how many are "teaching" on an ED visa.

Last but not least those who are on an overstay and just continue to work without a work permit and visa..

And ASEAN pops in next year in December.

The online degree offered by a university from the Philippines, with their "headquarter" in Bangkok and accredited by the TCT is only a better joke for me. Same university also employs teachers? No, it's not a money making institution.

Would such a degree really make anybody and I mean anybody in Thailand to a better teacher? How efficient are Turkish English teachers who work for an agency in Bangkok at a school in Sisaket?

I didn't see any improvement, coming from the Thai educational system. Most of the "new batch of Thai English teachers" who graduated this year and started to work in May as English teachers can't have a simple conversation with somebody who speaks fluent English.

Then you hear the "not losing face excuses" that they are good in reading and writing in English. Give me a break, please.You "study" English for 15 years to be finally able to read English comic books, but you can't speak it?

My Co-teacher, who teaches Thai is way better in English than all the English teachers at my school. How comes? Okay, she's married to a Dutch guy.

Holy buffalo, what was the MoE and the TCT in Bangkok doing all these years? Only new laws to make old shit worse.

By the way, this is from a good lawyer, you can buy a doctorate a “real” one, if you put 500, 000 baht on, aeehh under the table.

I had a dream...........................facepalm.gif .

Edited by sirchai

Sir

Your honesty is not a trait on here, well done Sir

If the Amount of english teachers vanish, as you suspect, then it has to be a good thing doesnt it??

Many TV members joke about tefl teachers, under achievers, like the ed visa crew, but it,s true and border runs have reduced, due to clean up,s like this.

BTW

To the ed visa crew that actualy have learned to speak/read/write thai, well done, i couldnt learn much, other than basic words,numbers.

How is that a good thing is English teachers disappear? Do you not think the youth of Thailand need them? Are they going to learn English from the Thai teachers? I hardly think so. So, they need to keep the foreign teachers of English happy, and pay a fair wage. Making sure the youth speaks multiple languages, is one way to insure a decent future for this country. Right?

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I think it's only right that a teacher of English should have an education degree., just being a native English speaker doesn't make an English teacher. That would be like saying because i can drive a car, that makes me a mechanic.

So you drive a car from under the bonnet???

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

As an English teacher, and having been here for over 2 years now, I can say that the system DOES need to be overhauled. However, making an Education degree a requirement is NOT the way to go. I myself do not have an Education degree. I have been teaching for a large amount of my life though in military, corporate and government settings. I do have a TEFL certificate.

By the standards that have been proposed, I will be out of a job when my extension of teaching license expires in 2 years, and will have to return to the USA. I have done continuing education, and I have also challenged the Thai teachers' test, passing 4 of the 9 sections. Now though, the test has been discontinued and there is no clear steps anymore for us to get a license other than to have the Education degree.

I agree that the backpackers with nothing to do that are just teaching to pass the time until the weekend should go. The teachers that are working on a tourist visa should go - the visa runs have effectively killed that now. But make all of us have an Education degree, and there are going to be NO teachers in this country inside of a year. Salaries are not competitive (out in the sticks in Phrae province, I make 30ish K Baht, and live comfortably, but near any city or tourist center it would be difficult to live on.

If the requirement for an Education degree goes into effect, a higher salary MUST be paid. End of story. I can't afford to go back to school on my salary to get my M. Ed. degree....so unless something changes I, too, will be leaving Thailand in 2 years.....even though my school has already offered to keep me on permanently.

Hi, could you please explain, why you have to leave Thailand in 2 years ? Does it mean: your current teaching licence is valid for 4 years only ?

Somebody told my that TEFLer can still teach at some vocational or private schools, because they aren´t under TCT. Is that true ? If yes, this might be an opportunity in the longterm...?

Looking forward to hearing from you soon...

First of all having a teacher's license isn't a new thing. It has been policy for over 6 years. There are several ways to appease this requirement and having a degree in education is one way but not the only way.

Second of all there are many qualified teachers here in Thailand making low wages and are happy. It is giving them a chance to work and live abroad and build some experience to help them get better jobs back home later.

Thailand salaries aren't really that low for similar positions. China has many jobs paying about 30-40k a month for TEFL positions but they usually add housing and flights. The lower wages in Thailand like 15-20k are way too low but anything above 40k is a reasonable salary.

The problem isn't the availability of teachers it is the mismanagement of them.

The low salaries of Thailand are ok if you want to live like a backpacker for a year or two and forgo little luxuries.

The Thai government are certainly keeping out more mature teachers who would come if salaries were reasonable.

In my opinion, insisting on a degree before teaching here is over the top. There are a great many graduates in a range of disciplines whose grammar and punctuation leaves a lot to be desired. To have at least TEFLA training is essential. The rest will come with experience

There are experienced English teachers in this country, but no degree, and their expertise is lost. Go to China or Malaysia and listen to the number of people around you who can speak English. It's their second language.

OK I am an older teacher. First i will clarify that I do not do it for the money. I am retired and do it for pocket money and to stop the boredom.

That being said if you look at the living conditions and cost of living here in Thailand and compare it to where you come from you are actually getting paid pretty good money.

Let's face it no one comes to Thailand to get a job as a teacher as the primary reason unless they are a young teacher that needs some street cred back home.

If you stay away from the bars every night 30-40k a month should keep you very happy. If it does not then you really need to look at your lifestyle. Thai teachers make a hell of a lot less as also most Thais do and they live well.

I am sure no matter what people were paid there would still be people complaining.

As to the certification yes you need a degree to get a work permit in most cases. that is relatively easy to do if you want to put in the time and effort at a Thai university.

Hi, could you please explain how do get a degree ? Which university ? How long does it take ? How much is it ? Thank you very much in advance

I can comment quite accurately on this topic, since I've been working for some time now on introducing university programs to Thailand teachers, available through online study. UniTEFL in Chiang Mai has been administering a teaching diploma on behalf of the Philippine Women's University since 2012. Open to Filipinos initially, it has seen more than 20 students complete the certificate in teaching practice or MA in education. UniTEFL has now also launched a similar program, the Certificate in Professional Teaching (CPT) from New Era University, also in the Philippines, open to farangs. These are the very diplomas required by the TCT to award a permanent teacher's licence and representatives from the Philippines higher education department have arranged this directly with the TCT, so they are approved (although the TCT don't publicly endorse any specific qualification).

In answer to other queries and rumours in this thread;

1. You do NOT need an education degree to teach in Thailand, you can be licensed with a general degree and a recognised teaching diploma, or alternatively sit the TCT Professional Knowledge tests.

2. There are anecdotes that some Filipinos have been told they need an education degree or even a masters to get a teaching licence here, although this is not consistent with the criteria listed on the TCT site and likely discrimination on a case-by-case basis.

3. TEFL certificates make no difference one way or another to the licensing, but recruiters prefer to see them and you ought to have completed an in-class 120 hour course, with practicums in schools. Those without a diploma or degree in education are granted a 2 year temporary licence, with many achieving a further 2 year extension, again on a case-by-case basis. There is a rumour this will be reduced to 2 years only.

4. TEFL/TESOL teaching is somewhat different from BA Education, and a fast track solution to fulfil a demand for auxiliary teaching of ESL in the classroom. The Diploma is for those with a tertiary level education seeking to be a teacher (e.g. in maths, English, science etc). A BA or Masters in Education is something entirely different and it's not usual that a diploma counts credits towards an MA.

5. There has been rumblings from the MoE, and previous Education Minister Chaturon Chaiseng, about raising the qualifications requirements and this will likely be the diploma, it's fairly obvious that asking for all ESL teachers to have an ed degree will result in a mass exodus, although it's not beyond reality that such a policy might be implemented and then rescinded 6 months later when the schools all complain of shortages.

5. Already the whole industry is experiencing shortages in teachers since illegal 'non-degree' teachers made up about a third of all positioned (estimated) and now many have had to leave since visa runs were shut down.

6. If you plan to stay here long term and teach then getting the diploma is wise. The PGCEi is one route, it's the UK diploma (but not valid in the UK), these new programs from the Philippines are similar, about 40% cheaper but obviously lack the same crystal mark of 'Brand Britain'.

Reach more here: http://www.ajarn.com/ajarn-guests/articles/the-teaching-diploma

The New Era Diploma details: http://www.unitefl.com/tefl-courses/new-era/ (Note! Deadline for first intake is Friday Oct 17).

Virtualtravellar.....

I have been looking into courses for quite some time now. I almost applied for the Masters in Education (technology) from Assumption. That course is fully online....from a recognised university. There are other programs that I have considered, Sunderland...Nottingham to name a few. Most of these courses are a pretty penny, and possibly overkill for teaching in Thai govt/private primary/ high schools. I do really want to meet the requirements, I have a family here. I also want to do something relevant...and not 300,000 + baht if I can help it. The UniTEFL program is tempting but i have heard mixed reports as to whether it will actually meet TCTs ever changing requirements. Its a great solution if it does, I really hope it does but I am wary of committing to it.

I was thinking TCT would realize their mistake but then they would loose face.

I wish they phased it in by limiting school to 75% non - credential teachers and slowly raise the bar but still leave openings for people wanting to try teaching and let schools decide on best teacher.

Nottingham is an online degree in educational theory and not a teaching credential but is from a good university and currently satisfiies TCT.

Assumption includes classroom observation and meeting actual teachers and personally exchanging ideas. More of a commitment and more money but I think get some useful knowledge. Their program is being reviewed by TCT.

I have not heard any claims that the Philipino program will be accepted by TCT.

Before getting TCT endorsement it would be foolish to spend any money on any program.

If under 40 and plan to stay in Thailand then you will have more opportunities with a credential.

There seems to be enough inexperienced teachers available to meet most of the needs of schools so I think the policy won't change

But without a degree, not good prospects for long term teaching

Was both a parent of children going to school and working as a "teacher" in Thailand. I packed in the teaching gig after the school I was employed with switched their program. They hired it out to a well known "Western"managed company that uses power point presentations to teach English. They claim in their Ads to only employ Degree holders etc. But after learning what they were really like prompted me to move my family back to the US. (among others)

Most serious for me was they do not perform any background checks on their employees. In fact they had employed the suspected (alleged) murderer of the Thai woman found in a garbage bin. He sat 2 persons down from me at their training program in Bangkok. He was working for them just outside Udon Thani when he was arrested. They never asked for a background check on myself, even after I offered to supply one, not neede was their answer. I nor did my other 5 fellow teachers hold degrees (2 possibly 1 other had not finished high school), no problem, visas and work permits supplied. Although they did slash the salaries by a third based on this reason. But lastly was the program itself. Filled with errors, spelling, grammar, using voiced characters the English speakers could not understand. One of my last lessons I showed a picture of a red dot located outside a box. The word they wanted to use was "outside" grade 10 students! Scary. Two weeks into the new program emails start appearing from the regional boss outlining inappropriate touching rules for teachers on students. If I aas to be honest this program could just as easily be taught by a slightly advanced M6 student. Not only would they be able to do roll call easily, it could provide a huge profit for the company and possibly increase Englisg language skills, could not do any worse then the French guy who asked how to pronounce "chip"(he kept saying ship).

If this is the wave of the future for "teaching" programs in Thailand I am glad my children will never experience it.

I rencently wrote a letter regarding the problem of no back ground checks to the ministry of education, labour and immigration. More people should do that and they might very well act. If you see something is seriously wrong, take action.

I have to met Philipino's with education degree and bad grammar and bad pronunciation teaching at international schools.

To get a work permit for Thai school requires a degree.

I am not sure if background checks report people accused but not convicted of a crime.

Although many accused people are guilty, it would be easy to ruin a career with false accusations.

Thailand only requires education degrees from people who have already taught in Thailand 4 years and gained experience.

Thailand welcomes inexperienced people with any degree to try teaching in Thailand up to 4 years.

I have seen non native speakers with high Teflon scores teaching subjects(not English) in English programs

I have to met Philipino's with education degree and bad grammar and bad pronunciation teaching at international schools.

I am not sure if background checks report people accused but not convicted of a crime.

Although many accused people are guilty, it would be easy to ruin a career with false accusations.

Thailand only requires education degrees from people who have already taught in Thailand 4 years and gained experience.

Thailand welcomes inexperienced people with any degree to try teaching in Thailand up to 4 years.

I have seen non native speakers with high Teflon scores teaching subjects(not English) in English programs

Philipino's and Teflon? Okay, I think I understand your message, brian.

Philipino's and Teflon? Okay, I think I understand your message, brian.
Sorry

Auto complete error

High TEFL Scores

• Like 1