Bangkok: 2,500 cars wheel-clamped in one day on Tuesday

webfact

they want to have a stroll down soi 4, you cant move for bloody scooters parked between the no parking bollards, hundreds of them, and perhaps these dam street vendor blocking the roads and the pavements, it has got to epidemic proportions now, when one has to walk in the road, with the parked scooters it is getting like a one way street.

Do you really think cleaning up the entrance to Bangkok's most notorious red light district is top of the list of problems that should be fixed?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have been down some small soi in CNX where 2 cars barely have room to pass without sucking paint off each other, and then find 3-4 idiots with their food carts stuck out in road, reducing it to 1 lane. I'm glad I ride a bike.

The towing away makes a heck of a lot more sense than clamping, both in terms of inconvenience to the driver, and of removing the obstruction.

I've lived in places that have done boots/clamps and other places that tow. Not sure which is more efficient (for the police). If the cops carry the clamp in their car, it's seconds to clamp the vehicle and they collect a nice fine to get it removed. If they call a tow, there's a pretty good chance you'll get there before the tow arrives and you just get the ticket.

As a citizen, I guess I would prefer the clamp. I come out and find my car clamped, I can make a phone call and within a reasonable amount of time have the clamp removed, pay my fine and be on my way. If you get towed you have to to go the tow lot and the chances are the taxi ride is more than the cost of the violation, pay an impound fee, and then pay the ticket.

Give it a year and see how many they are clamping then. wink.png

A year hell........ I give it a month.

you guys are very slow learners,

this is now a military dictatorship,

it is not going to get better,

the worst is coming

I dont see any dictatorship here at all, I only see real progress and laws being enforced, all done in 2 weeks, way more than done in past 2 years of last government.

perhaps you are the slow learner here

Edited by brfsa2
  • Like 2

Have been down some small soi in CNX where 2 cars barely have room to pass without sucking paint off each other, and then find 3-4 idiots with their food carts stuck out in road, reducing it to 1 lane. I'm glad I ride a bike.

Food carts should be relegated to specific areas off of the streets. When my wife came to the US she spent about a month complaining about no food being available on the streets and she's spent the last several years thanking Buddha that we don't have food carts in the streets in the US.

you guys are very slow learners,

this is now a military dictatorship,

it is not going to get better,

the worst is coming

I dont see any dictatorship here at all, I only see real progress and laws being enforced, all done in 2 weeks, way more than done in past 2 years of last government.

perhaps you are the slow learner here

I love how enforcing laws is seen as dictatorship. :-)

• Like 2

With a real man like Prayuth directing everything, if he's in charge then everything will be increasingly orderly as we've seen. Beware, he might clamp your lips!

We live in hope, but like most Brits that poster will be all gob

Tow them!!! A clamp only keeps them sitting there

I despair at the number of posters who cannot read a few words! Quote, "wheel clamping and towing away illegally-parked cars". You cannot tow the cars away as fast as they are clamped. Any comment?

• Like 1

It just keeps getting better and better. I hope they can keep up the pace. It is not the cost but the inconvenience

that will get illegally parked cars to park legally. thumbsup.gif

Law and order can be profitable. What does it cost to get a clamp off?

Yes one can't help but think that this is just an extra revenue exercise but if it clears some of the streets in the bigger cities, it's all good. The report states though that this will be nationwide, are the BIB really going to clamp the 'rot idan' out in the countryside? That I've got to see.

Why shouldn't it be?

In any case, the cost to the economy from wasted petrol from cars stuck in traffic and the lost productivity of slow moving traffic makes any revenue gain from tickets pale into insignificance.

He said that he was satisfied with the police record in wheel-clamping more than 2,500 cars today compared to just 30-50 cars on average day

If he's satisfied with 2,500 he should be very, very dissatisfied with the 30-50. Just goes to show what a little WORK can do.

• 5 weeks later...

Law and order can be profitable. What does it cost to get a clamp off?

If I recall correctly it's about 500 baht?

That is what i personally paid the police officer for taking the clamp off my vehicle 6 months ago when I wrongly parked on the street outside my condo. Had I gotten back to my car five minutes earlier it wouldn't have been clamped. And I'm sure it was pay that at the station and bring him the receipt and he'll take the wheel clamp off OR slip him the fine inconspicuously and he'll remove it right now! I chose the latter of course, I was paying anyways, may as well make my life a little easier right?

And on THAT note, has anyone else noticed that the police don't just want a little tea money to let you on your way anymore, they want the full fine! AND they have a laminated card in both English and you Thai writing that states the offence and beside the offence the amount of the fine!

I was pulled over last weekend on my motorbike near Lumpini Park, coming off the line as a light turned green, after the intersection I momentarily was in the far right lane to pass (Saturday morning and very light traffic, nobody in the lane) and as my luck would have it a cop standing there pointing at me waving me over frantically. He explains the infraction, doesn't want to hear any plea in English at all, shows me this nicely laminated card, pointing to the offence I just committed on it and tells me I can go pay at the Police Station on Rama 4? (and as I actually had time that morning I was going to pay and not try to bribe my way out of it) but before I could say anything his next words were, "or you can pay me right now". I will edit my own post right here deleting the expletive that was just used colourfully describing the BiB, moderator you are welcome! . And that is the second time now they've straight up asked me to pay them! It's not even a game of hinting "surely there is a way we can remedy this here" anymore hoping they get what you're on about....they flat out ask you for the money now. "You can pay me here, now?"

So as not to cause myself any further trouble I reluctantly gave him 500 baht shaking my head, and he actually gave me 100 baht change! Very kind of him I thought.....and that is the second time I've been given change on a payoff!

See, they don't want to screw you, they just want their piece of the pie! If he were a real dick he would have said he didn't have change, this bloke offered it! Nice guy.

But it was a B.S. ticket if you ask me, how many people in Bangkok drive motorbikes in the far right lane even momentarily? I'm in it for 3 seconds to pass a guy and he nails me and doesn't want to listen to what I say....he not speak English!

So, I guess I'd have to say that I don't mind a certain level of corruption here in the Thai society, I sure hope when they change things around here politically, that they don't mess with the system they have in place for me to pay my traffic violations.wink.png

Well, that's my Sunday morning rant coffee1.gif and it's not even 9am yet!

^^^ next time you're in the right lane, make sure you have your right indicator on. It might save you from a fine - I stress MIGHT. Otherwise, you go on your merry little way and spare us the rants. None of us is innocent, and none of us is proud of taking the easy option (in some instances, it's actually a necessary option because you can't mail in your fine). But you seem to enjoy it. Sad.

• Like 1

In BKK Footpaths blocked by vehicles and nothing done. That group of uniformed officials known as the "Thai police " go past and do nothing, so it's venturing on to the road

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Less than a month for sure!

And pavement clearance, never going to happen.

You have payments??? u lucky bastard!!

• Like 1