How to find a Khmer/Thai speaking nanny willing to come to Bangkok?

geodesic

Hi All,

I am interested in finding a bilingual Khmer/Thai or Khmer/English speaking nanny willing to come work in Bangkok. I have spoken with a Thai lawyer who informs me it is still possible to obtain a legal visa and work permit for foreign home care workers.

I specifically want a Khmer speaking nanny because I wish my children to learn to speak Khmer. I want them to learn actual Khmer, not the Khmer-Issan dialect spoken in Thailand. I have my reasons for this and there is no need for a long discussion as to why. I also need her to speak either English or Thai so that myself and my wife can communicate with her. This limits the pool of available candidates. I would also like to learn basic Khmer if possible.

I have previously tried getting a friend to find me several people from Poipet, but they did not work out as they didn't really like taking care of children and returned home never to be heard from again after the 15 day trial period expired. This has happened several times and I have given up on that route.

I am looking for someone who genuinely wishes to be a nanny and help take care of 3 children...a 5 year old and 4 year old twins. I would like to know if anyone knows of a professional organization in Cambodia who can help to arrange this, or barring that, if anyone personally knows someone who might be responsible and interested. Someone suggested that a Khmer nurse with experience in pediatrics might be a good fit for the job.

Renumeration will be commensurate with experience.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

if u find a khmer u can apply for a L-A migrant wp valid for 2 years., You do not need a lawyer to assist you with this, all very straight forward. The labor dept will help you once you find someone.

go to the khmer forums and post a note there, u might get some feedback

Or the Phnom Penh post

An ad in the Cambodia Daily and also in the Khmer papers (e.g. Rasmei Kampuchea) would be a good idea if you can manage it.

Forget about a nurse, (1) you don't need one and (2) all the harder to find.

Your big problem is the Thai-speaking requirement. A Khmer nanny with good English can be found much more easily than one who speaks Thai, but if no Thai is spoken then she will find it hard to get by here.

Suggest you also look into the yahoo group "Cambodianparents" and consider joining and posting there, it is followed by many people with kids and probably your best chance for getting a recommendation.

An ad in the Cambodia Daily and also in the Khmer papers (e.g. Rasmei Kampuchea) would be a good idea if you can manage it.

Forget about a nurse, (1) you don't need one and (2) all the harder to find.

Your big problem is the Thai-speaking requirement. A Khmer nanny with good English can be found much more easily than one who speaks Thai, but if no Thai is spoken then she will find it hard to get by here.

Suggest you also look into the yahoo group "Cambodianparents" and consider joining and posting there, it is followed by many people with kids and probably your best chance for getting a recommendation.

"A Khmer nanny with good English can be found much more easily than one who speaks Thai, but if no Thai is spoken then she will find it hard to get by here." are you sure about that statement? Of all the Cambodian workers I have found in Thailand, they generally speak reasonable Thai but next to no English. As I speak fluent Thai, we get talking in Thai and then it turns out that their English is next to non-existant if I ask about it; exceptions are hotel staff in places like Koh Chang that interact with foreigners a lot. Even Cambodians living in say Koh Kong, next to the Thai border who have grown up speaking some English due to their role in the local tourist industry, generally don't speak it as well as Thai. I had a driver from Koh Kong to Phnom Penh as I didn't want to bring my motorcycle last time due to my heavy luggage and the threat of heavy rains, and while we started off in English as I don't speak Khmer, when I asked him a question in English he couldn't understand so we switched to Thai. Turns out his Thai, although accented was not half bad, basically typical Cambo/Burmese immigrant accented Thai that one learns to discern in the same way as Mexican accent American English, which although fluent is unmistakeably associated with people of Mexican origin.

Thai is spoken by many people in the border areas near Thailand, and migrant workers pick it up. But the overwhelming majority of Khmers don't speak a word of Thai, and English speaking is pretty widespread among the younger people. I think your exposure has been disproportionately to Khmers living near the Thai border or working in Thailand.

Actually what you claims is only partly true. Khmers from the border areas almost always speak much more Thai than English irrespective of their employment or social positions. This is because of far greater exposure to Thai people than foreigners in those areas. In PP Siem Reap etc. there is little reason for most Khmers to speak Thai. Those people are thus more likely to speak English.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...