Best gyms in Chiang Mai?

SS1

I'll be coming to Chiang Mai for a few months soon and looking to find a good gym. I'm looking for something with a good range of equipment with sufficient weights for someone who trains seriously.

I remember reading from older threads that Powerhouse Gym and Fitness First are good.

What is your favourite gym and why?

Thanks!

This was done, if not overdone, here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/66816-best-gym-in-chiang-mai/?hl=%2Bgym, but I guess it doesn't hurt to start fresh.

Fitness Thailand has lots of equipment and reasonable annual fees, but it's crowded in the evenings, gym courtesy is an unknown concept, and maintenance is not a priority. I don't have current information on other gyms.

More information would make it easier to help you. Are you interested in free weights, machines, or both? Do you want aerobic exercise machines, and if so, what kind? How long will you be here; price is affected by the length of membership. What time of day do you want to work out? What kind of facilities--sauna, showers, etc., do you hope do find? Do you want to take classes--spin, kick-boxing, etc.?

Go Gym chiang mai super highway.

If you come from maya shopping center, its on the left side, on the super highway around 1 kilometer down..

You can find them on facebookj.

Best gym in cm.

Training there myself, after i tried other gyms.

• Like 1

Thailand fitness had a a lot, but the customers never racked the weights and were too busy taking selfies so it was a PITA and I left

Harris is TINY but nice, however there is a group of pretty boy Chinese/Thai guys who go there and just sit on one machine/bench and cycle like 6 guys on it. If they are there and using the squat rack, you won't be that night.

My choice, and now that I am no longer in CM I will share, is Exclusive gym over near JJ Market. At the 4 way intersection take a right instead of going straight, it's across from the Football stadium.

With a package they run about 1000B a month. They are not large, the reason I never mentioned them, but they are CLEAN, have new weights, 80% of the cardio stuff is good, but they don't have a lot.

I was always able to get into the squat rack with little to no wait.

Also the staff is really great as well.

Crappy showers, no sauna but I never shower at the gym.

• Like 2

I go to Harris and find it very suitable after many years at Fitness Thailand where I got a decent workout but just needed a change especially since I work out in the middle of the day where the gyms are emptier but it is hotter out and in the case of FT in too as they also didnt keep up the maintenance (or temp) of the a/c. There seems to be more guys with their own unique style of gym etiquette at Harris falling under the description in a post above going lately and only recently have I had to start breaking down a machine from someone else's use before using it myself and I hope this is not a trend that becomes the norm like at FT!

Edited by junglechef

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This was done, if not overdone, here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/66816-best-gym-in-chiang-mai/?hl=%2Bgym, but I guess it doesn't hurt to start fresh.

Fitness Thailand has lots of equipment and reasonable annual fees, but it's crowded in the evenings, gym courtesy is an unknown concept, and maintenance is not a priority. I don't have current information on other gyms.

More information would make it easier to help you. Are you interested in free weights, machines, or both? Do you want aerobic exercise machines, and if so, what kind? How long will you be here; price is affected by the length of membership. What time of day do you want to work out? What kind of facilities--sauna, showers, etc., do you hope do find? Do you want to take classes--spin, kick-boxing, etc.?

Thanks for the tip, yeah should have been more specific. I'm looking to take a membership for 3 months.

I'm interested in free weights, dumbells up to at least 50kg, quality squat racks with enough weights etc. and a wide range of cable / hammer strenght machinery.

I'm not interested in cardio machinery or classes and for saunas/jacuzzi, they are definitely a nice addition but not a necessity.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thanks for the tip, yeah should have been more specific. I'm looking to take a membership for 3 months.

I'm interested in free weights, dumbells up to at least 50kg, quality squat racks with enough weights etc. and a wide range of cable / hammer strenght machinery.

I'm not interested in cardio machinery or classes and for saunas/jacuzzi, they are definitely a nice addition but not a necessity.

Then you want City Gym, it's a bodybuilding gym. I believe they have 50kg+ dumbells and let you squat barefoot etc etc.

Fitness Thailand might suit you, especially if you plan to exercise in the morning or afternoon. I was there earlier today, it's doing better than average on equipment maintenance now, but I don't know how long that will last. I suggest going there at the time of day you anticipate working out and having a look. Check the equipment you want to use carefully, they don't always put signs on equipment in need of repair.

Thanks for all the tips.

My best bet is probably doing a little tour of all the gyms once I get there and check them out in the evening as that's when I mostly like going.

Signed up powerhouse today.

Looks promising.

That's kind of been number 1 on my list too from what I've researched.

What weight do their dumbells go up to? I often find that so many otherwise good gyms are ruined by lack of proper dumbells, as I really love working with them.

Is it very busy in the evenings? (6-7pm)

I will start in 2 or 3 weeks. Just went to check it out today on class they offer, it pretty cool so I signed up.

Some tips on powerhouse :

- if you go monthly membership, you could get 10% discount

- If you time 10 or 20 times voucher, ask them to expand the valid date 1 month more. They did mine.

My choice, and now that I am no longer in CM I will share, is Exclusive gym over near JJ Market. At the 4 way intersection take a right instead of going straight, it's across from the Football stadium.

With a package they run about 1000B a month. They are not large, the reason I never mentioned them, but they are CLEAN, have new weights, 80% of the cardio stuff is good, but they don't have a lot.

I was always able to get into the squat rack with little to no wait.

Also the staff is really great as well.

Crappy showers, no sauna but I never shower at the gym.

Oh, that's a gym? I saw all the posters of topless boys in tights outside and thought it was one of those "masssage for men - by men" shops so didn't bother checking it out.

Was at California Wow before, happy at FT now. A bonus with FT is that there is no Secret Recipe cake shop on the same floor. Sadly, there appears to be no Secret Recipe cake shop in CM at all any more however. :-/

TM MUSCLE GYM! Its the newest and best in Chiang Mai. Ive been going to Gyms here for over 4 years and seen a few. Powerhouse is so over priced it makes my hair fall out thinking of it!

I have a few Thai mates who are pretty big lads and they all have gravitated away from their previous gyms to TM Muscle Gym. Its near the train station. All the gear is new, they have everything, its a VERY SERIOUS gym and there are a LOT of big guys go there. It's THE place to be at the moment.

Normally Thai gyms are great when they are new but rarely maintained over time, so get into the newest gyms and enjoy them while they are in great order.

TM Muscle gym - currently 7,500 baht per year!!! Cant beat that! Best in Chiang Mai as of June 2014.

When you check out the FB link, have a look at the pics and theres a short guy with monstrous arms.. I nicknamed him Tiny a few years ago when I used to work out with him @ Duangtawan Hotel Gym. All the big boys are going to TM - that's the best reference you'll ever need! My best mate is a pretty big lad and he rates himself as 'small' in the company of the core customers there. Go and enjoy! I'll be there ;)

<removed>

Secondly, the OP wanted to locate a serious gym, so the information was relevant to the OP's needs.

Thirdly - I've been to TM Muscle Gym, its got a great range of good quality free weights and machines, but it kind of lacks atmosphere. Good for a hard core workout if you don't want any frills. Price is now 9,000/mth (just gone up as of course, new gyms have intro prices that never last). Per month was 1000/bt so still cheap.

Edited by onthedarkside
unnecessary remarks removed.

When you check out the FB link, have a look at the pics and theres a short guy with monstrous arms.. I nicknamed him Tiny a few years ago when I used to work out with him @ Duangtawan Hotel Gym. All the big boys are going to TM - that's the best reference you'll ever need! My best mate is a pretty big lad and he rates himself as 'small' in the company of the core customers there. Go and enjoy! I'll be there wink.png

Does anyone know where the small girls go? I think I will be more happy there, but still looking in vain for that gym.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Fitness Thailand today and was not very impressed. I was a regular a couple of years back, but did not see any improvements, gym etiquette zero, plates/dumbbells not reracked, machines broken or pulley not functioning, lockers are a joke and not all the showers have hot water. All this for a bargain price of wait for it B1,700 per month.... couldn't believe it....cheesy.gif

• Like 1

I went to see Powerhouse fitness today and it seems to have everything needed, but it's a lot smaller than I thought. And how are these gyms so expensive :o? I mean compared to everything else in Thailand.

Powerhouse 7000 baht for 3 months, but with student discount 5250 baht. That's still 1750/ month! In the UK where I lived, all gyms that were much better and bigger (excluding health clubs/luxury gyms) were about £20 per month without contract so that is 1000 baht a month.

Do only rich Thais do fitness?

Seems pricey

Keep us updated, I'll be looking for a gym too, I'm an ex powerlifter so I don't care for fancy new gyms full of machines, just need barbells, dumbbells, maybe a lifting platform for deadlifts, some eye candy and a sensible price

Edited by Jdiddy

Seems pricey

Keep us updated, I'll be looking for a gym too, I'm an ex powerlifter so I don't care for fancy new gyms full of machines, just need barbells, dumbbells, maybe a lifting platform for deadlifts, some eye candy and a sensible price

Pricey indeed but might be joining anyways, as the location is so convenient for me. Just realised though that the biggest dumbells there (75lb) are only 34kg!! That's a pity.

They do have a bench press, squat rack and I assume you can DL next to it too.

Also just went to look for Fitness Thailand but only saw computer shops, karaokebars and street food at the area.. rode around for a good 20min but didn't manage to find it.

Edited by SS1

When you check out the FB link, have a look at the pics and theres a short guy with monstrous arms.. I nicknamed him Tiny a few years ago when I used to work out with him @ Duangtawan Hotel Gym. All the big boys are going to TM - that's the best reference you'll ever need! My best mate is a pretty big lad and he rates himself as 'small' in the company of the core customers there. Go and enjoy! I'll be there wink.png

Does anyone know where the small girls go? I think I will be more happy there, but still looking in vain for that gym.

Do they have gyms for people who just want to keep in shape? Cardio firm up existing muscle maintain muscle tone. possibly lose a few pounds. I used to go to the Dongtawan but they didn't keep up the equipment and there was no body there for a little guidance. They did have a couple of muscle heads there talking with the gals or sitting around doing nothing.

Didn't seem like they had any intention of improving things.

Seems pricey

Pricey indeed but might be joining anyways, as the location is so convenient for me. Just realised though that the biggest dumbells there (75lb) are only 34kg!! That's a pity.

They do have a bench press, squat rack and I assume you can DL next to it too.

Also just went to look for Fitness Thailand but only saw computer shops, karaokebars and street food at the area.. rode around for a good 20min but didn't manage to find it.

Fitness Thailand is on the 7th and 8th floor of the parking garage behind the computer shops. Take the elevator in the back of the building to the 7th floor and you will step out into the entrance. There may be some small signs in or near the elevator, but they don't make it easy to find.

I think the dumbbells go up to 100 lbs. You may have to hunt for them, when most of the customers are done lifting they just walk away, leaving weights scattered all over the place. That and people sitting on equipment while playing with their phones are my two biggest gripes about the place. Poor maintenance and having to steal a pin from one machine to use on another are next on my list.

Edited by heybruce
  • Like 1

I went to see Powerhouse fitness today and it seems to have everything needed, but it's a lot smaller than I thought. And how are these gyms so expensive ohmy.png? I mean compared to everything else in Thailand.

Powerhouse 7000 baht for 3 months, but with student discount 5250 baht. That's still 1750/ month! In the UK where I lived, all gyms that were much better and bigger (excluding health clubs/luxury gyms) were about £20 per month without contract so that is 1000 baht a month.

Do only rich Thais do fitness?

That's highway robbery for Thailand. And they don't even have a pool, the sauna was always too low, or turned off, the bathrooms hygiene was a bit on the iffy side.

Never enough running machines, too small, etc.

Just not worth 7000 baht for 3 months. 1000 maybe.

go gym - 60 baht a session, 1 month 900 baht, 3 months 2000, 6 months 3500, 1 year 5900

its just a weights gym with some cardio machines so no pool or sauna,

the drawbacks - no air conditioning just fans, dumbells only go to 90lbs, the have a squat rack but not a power rack, octagonal plates which make deadlifting abit of a pain, i believe its very busy in the evening but during the day is fine

the do have decent 20 kilo barbells that wont bend when loaded with a decent amount of weight, ive heard the ones it fitness thailand are crappy 15kg barbells that bend easily

search - Go Gym chiangmai on facebook for a map