D-d Day Midnight June 30

Khutan

I am going to do it.

Tuky is going to do it.

I know some other members are certainly thinking about it.

Who else would like to join in our group, do the 90 Day detox and the self-help and self control exercise.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to do it.

Tuky is going to do it.

Who else would like to join in our group, do the 90 Day detox and the self-help and self control exercise.

I wish you both the best, sounds like a really good plan.

I am going to do it.

Tuky is going to do it.

I wish you both the best, sounds like a really good plan.

I would love to join, but I'm about 4 months ahead of you, having already done a 120 day detox, and am now in the 'social drinking stage'. This is now my 4th day without a drink, having had two nights of 'moderate' drinking up country on Friday and Saturday with friends and family.

I am resolved to never drink before 6 p.m., never to drink alone, only drink at home when social situations are appropriate, never drink to excess, no beer (because it is very bad for my diabetes). and wine only occasionally, when social situations are appropriate.

So I'll see how it goes.

I wish those who are embarking on 30th all the luck in the world. :o

....I would love to join, but I'm about 4 months ahead of you, having already done a 120 day detox, and am now in the 'social drinking stage'.

We will be interested in your input during our 90 day project. So your support wil be appreciated.

i'm gonna do it too! count me in!...

Great, welcome aboard.

I will try to find the "Preparation activities" in the next few days to pust here.

I have started today...so far so good..and I am going to bed in a minute.

2morrow is another day

Cheers (I really must stop writing that)

TP

TP;

Welcome aboard also. I hope you slept well last night. Make sure you don't have any booze in the house and please make sure you keep a journal of how you feel about it. Also what you do when you keep control and don't have a drink. I know sometimes it is difficult, but the result is more then worth it.

....I would love to join, but I'm about 4 months ahead of you, having already done a 120 day detox, and am now in the 'social drinking stage'.

We will be interested in your input during our 90 day project. So your support wil be appreciated.

i'm gonna do it too! count me in!...

Great, welcome aboard.

I will try to find the "Preparation activities" in the next few days to pust here.

I have started today...so far so good..and I am going to bed in a minute.

2morrow is another day

Cheers (I really must stop writing that)

TP

TP;

Welcome aboard also. I hope you slept well last night. Make sure you don't have any booze in the house and please make sure you keep a journal of how you feel about it. Also what you do when you keep control and don't have a drink. I know sometimes it is difficult, but the result is more then worth it.

Thanks Khutan. I'm now into day 5, no booze. Yersterday I did a lot of shopping and stuff in Pattaya and on the way home stopped off at a couple of bars for a chat. Had diet cokes at the first and soda water at the second. Didn't even feel like anything stonger.

Interesting what you say about no booze in the house. I had loads - whisky, gin, vodaka, wine, beer and God knows what else. Just didn't touch it for 120 days. Maybe I'd still be dry if there hadn't been any there, because I could hardly buy booze at 11 p.m., (when I started drinking). I couldn't go out because I was looking after my 9 year old step son. But we are where we are.

Years ago, when I gave up smoking, I kept a packet of fags in my car for months - even lapsed a couple of times, but made it in the end. Having the fags there was a sort of comfort for me - to know they were there, handy if the craving got too much. Same as the booze at home I suppose.

Good luck everyone.

Edited by Mobi D'Ark

You know.. I'm thinking of joining in... but I find myself wondering if I really need to ... ? :o

totster :D

I found myself asking myself that very question last night totster... and after sleeping on it I had no doubt this morning.

There are way too many good reasons for doing it... and not one bad reason for not doing it.

:D

You know.. I'm thinking of joining in... but I find myself wondering if I really need to ... ? :o

Why don't you look at it this way.

If you've been a reasonably heavy drinker for quite a while, then it will do your body a heck of a lot of good to get de-toxed for 90 days. It will give you liver a rest, you heart a rest and probably a lot of other things besides. An excess of alcohol is bad for all of us - regardless of whether or not we are alkies.

Then, after the 90 days, you try to control your consumption and keep a check on it, then that too will be good for your body.

Am I making sense? :D

The decision is yours :D

Talking of Detox I had a friend who done the exact same thing you guys are doing (Hope it goes well!)

He combined it with visits here: http://www.hydrohealth.co.th/eng2.htm

Perhaps not everyones cup of tea but he said he felt amazing after it, Colonic (I know..), Infra red sauna, Detox massage.

He combined all that with no drinking and 1 visit there every month for 3 months.

He reckons he is going to do it for 90 days once a year.

I dont have any financial interest (Unfortunately!) or know anything about the place in Bangkok (Sorry if its advertising that is not allowed on here but thought it might be of interest) - I know it is reassuringly expensive :o

Best wishes with the Detox.

He combined it with visits here: http://www.hydrohealth.co.th/eng2.htm

Thanks for the link and the suggestion.

As you say... it might not be everyone's "cup of tea" but it sounds like a worthwhile activity to add to the detoxification process.

As you've placed a disclaimer at the bottom of your post, the link to a commercial site can stay in this case.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

OK boys... who's up for a colonic?

:o

I found myself asking myself that very question last night totster... and after sleeping on it I had no doubt this morning.

There are way too many good reasons for doing it... and not one bad reason for not doing it.

:D

You know.. I'm thinking of joining in... but I find myself wondering if I really need to ... ? :D

Why don't you look at it this way.

If you've been a reasonably heavy drinker for quite a while, then it will do your body a heck of a lot of good to get de-toxed for 90 days. It will give you liver a rest, you heart a rest and probably a lot of other things besides. An excess of alcohol is bad for all of us - regardless of whether or not we are alkies.

Then, after the 90 days, you try to control your consumption and keep a check on it, then that too will be good for your body.

Am I making sense? :D

The decision is yours :D

Let me explain myself a bit more...

I'm in the UK at the moment doing my six months of w*rk...I have very little time for drinking, I don't drink at home, and may get out on a Saturday night for a few.. which turns into more than a few and finally into a mini binge. It's not every Saturday, and if it wasn't for the WC I'd prolly go out every other Saturday.. which is my only day off at the moment.

However...

When in LOS for six months I'm on the sauce most days.. sometimes 1 large bottle beer.. maybe 3-4 large bottles .. every now and again more than that.

So .. I'm wondering a couple of things... firstly, do I have a problem..? and secondly, if I decide to give this a go now, am I cheating.. I'm not drinking much as it is anyway...?

How many members of TV are close to becoming alcoholics???? Is it being in Thailand or associated with it which leads the members to drink to excess??? I used to drink more than was good for me - but only "socially" on an evening - until I married my Thai wife. I stopped drinking immediately and have never since drunk any more than 2-3 beers PER MONTH!!!! And I´ve never regretted it.................

I drink to excess occasionally, and in moderation almost daily, so I think I'm a good candidate for joining in. However may I delay my membership til July 10 ? Wife has birthday on 8th

I used to be indecisive , but now I'm not so sure....

So please include me out til then :o

OeJ

The chances of failure are pretty high, speaking personally, for me, as it were, so to speak.

Edited by OneeyedJohn

I suppose it does not help that you can buy 3 large Chang's to take home for 100Baht.

This is no dearer than "Homebrew" which first got me started 25 years ago.. bringing up kids I could not afford to dring the real stuff.

Anyway 2 clear days for me now... but I have just spent yesterday in hospital after having it confirmed that I cracked 3 ribs whilst pissed up over Songkran.. I feel like <deleted> after having "Pain Numbing injections jabbed in my chest, for some strange reason I am having severe difficulty breathing.. anyway, its not as bad as it was last night.

Still IF I can stay clean today..then that'll be 3 in a row.

Note I say IF ... becuase I am a firm believer that I (Personally) can only do this "One Day at A Time" .. I can't think about NOT having a drink tomorrow, just concentrate on not having one TODAY

I was supposed to be flying down to BK then on to Pattya today. (dont feel well enough) .but I suppose that in the light of what I am attempting to achieve its probably better that I don't go.. things work in mysterious ways

TP

..... However may I delay my membership til July 10 ? Wife has birthday on 8th

There are a few who are starting on different days. so that is not a problem.

Also, I spoke to George last night and he kas agreed to create a private place so those who want some privacy for their Drinkers Diaries can have somewhere to put them.

I think that will happen in a few days.

I'm now well into day six without a drink.

Checked my blood pressure this morning and it was very good.

My blood sugars were high this morning - this is because there is no alcohol in the system to suppress the sugar. I need more overnight insulin when I'm 'dry'.

Feel OK. The wife has been very good and solicitous, which helps a lot.

I'm thinking about going out on Sunday, with or without the wife, to watch England. I'll have a few drinks then. Next week I'm going to BKK for an overnight as I've got some hospital appointments. I'll catch up with some friends and have a few drinks. Might do a few bars as well.

In between, the plan is to stay sober.

We'll see how it goes.

I am resolved that if I break my own rules, I'll quit for good.

Mobi on a sidenote you coming....???? :D

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=72113&hl=

Although I'm 'experimenting' with social drinking, I somehow don't think a TV piss up is quite the right place at the moment, thanks Brit.

I'll give this one a miss, but have a good one. I'll be there in spirit - well not too much, I hope :D

Social drinking and I can encourage you to have a coke instead of a chang. :o

I suppose it does not help that you can buy 3 large Chang's to take home for 100Baht.

This is no dearer than "Homebrew" which first got me started 25 years ago.. bringing up kids I could not afford to dring the real stuff.

Anyway 2 clear days for me now... but I have just spent yesterday in hospital after having it confirmed that I cracked 3 ribs whilst pissed up over Songkran.. I feel like <deleted> after having "Pain Numbing injections jabbed in my chest, for some strange reason I am having severe difficulty breathing.. anyway, its not as bad as it was last night.

Still IF I can stay clean today..then that'll be 3 in a row.

Note I say IF ... becuase I am a firm believer that I (Personally) can only do this "One Day at A Time" .. I can't think about NOT having a drink tomorrow, just concentrate on not having one TODAY

I was supposed to be flying down to BK then on to Pattya today. (dont feel well enough) .but I suppose that in the light of what I am attempting to achieve its probably better that I don't go.. things work in mysterious ways

TP

TP How are you doing today? Day 4 isn't it?

I'm up to day 7, but tomorrow I plan to have a few - can't say that I have any strong cravings , but I want to do it this way for a while, and see how it goes.

Something is bugging me about this 30th June start date. Please don't take this the wrong way,as I think it is commendable, and I wish everyone who commits themselves to this, the very best of luck. But speaking personally, I've never been able to set a date to quit in advance - be it smoking or drinking. In my view, once I start thinking that I'll just wait for my brithday, my wife's birthday, Christmas, Songkran, until family visits etc. are out of the way, then I'm already doomed not to succeed. To me its just a way of putting it off. I quit smoking when I felt I was ready to quit - not on some pre-planned day. I just woke up one morning and said to myself - today I feel ready - I'm going to do it. And I did it.

When I stopped drinking 4 months ago - it was the same thing - I didn't discuss it with anyone - didn't consider forthcoming visits, (Both my daughters were due from the UK), Songkran, parties up country, my 60th birthday etc etc, - I just did it, and succeeded for 4 months.

To me its a bit like all these people who make New Year's resolutions. How many keep them for very long?

I think you have to be ready in yourself - and when you're ready, do it - regardless of whether its 30 June, 28th June, or 5th July or whenever. But don't tie yourself irrevocably to a specific date. There might be too much pressure on you this way.

But for those for whom a D Day is the only way, then fair enough.

Hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

Good luck everybody,

Tuesday night was my last drink,

I have not been too well, so it has not been that hard (so far) the real test will come when I am feeling better.

How many Memebers have committed themselves now?

It would be great if we had a forum ,come Monday that was private fior all of us that have registered to commit come Monday.... Something Like the Mods forum where they all chat away without us ordinary members seeing what they are posting.

Lets hope this happens

TP

Tuesday night was my last drink,

I have not been too well, so it has not been that hard (so far) the real test will come when I am feeling better.

How many Memebers have committed themselves now?

It would be great if we had a forum ,come Monday that was private fior all of us that have registered to commit come Monday.... Something Like the Mods forum where they all chat away without us ordinary members seeing what they are posting.

Lets hope this happens

TP

I can't say that I'm too bothered one way or the other, but if that's what the majority want, then fair enough.

I suppose it might prevent maverick posts discussing the merits of different brands of vodka :o

Also, I spoke to George last night and he kas agreed to create a private place so those who want some privacy for their Drinkers Diaries can have somewhere to put them.

So? Is George going on the wagon also?

:D:D

:D:D:D

Actually... he did say he was thinking about it... :o

And Brit... I'll be there but I will be drinking namsom or coke 'cos I'm gonna detox too.

And Brit... I'll be there but I will be drinking namsom or coke 'cos I'm gonna detox too.

If I ever did take the pledge, that would be a major problem for me in LOS - what to drink instead.

I have never been able to handle soft drinks because of the sweetness. They actual make me feel sick. I suppose I could drink coffee but that wouldn't really solve the problem. When I was 'dry' in the middle east, I was drinking grapefruit juice and fresh lemon juice mixed 50/50. This concoction is not very easy to get around these parts.

[.

....I have never been able to handle soft drinks because of the sweetness....

That's one of my biggest problems. I'm diabetic so I can't drink anything sweet. It sure as heck restricts my drinking options. Even Lemon juice etc, has large a amount of sugar in it. I'm basically restricted tro diet coke (which many places don't have, and after the third one you feel like puking up), or soda water.

Great choice, :o