D-d Day Midnight June 30

Khutan

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soda water with a touch of Grenadine is an alternative... for a coupla glasses anyway.

It's not too sweet.

Maybe we should start a new thread for suggestions for non-alcoholic drinks?

:o

I must be a philistine! What on earth is grenadine.

The problem with this, and most exoctic drinks is that that most bars won't be able to serve them. But it would be a good idea for home.

So far, my home produced drinks are: lots of water, virgin Mary's, carrot juice, diet cokes, coffee, tea, and a half glass of freshly sqeezed orange juice per day. Any other low, or non sugar drink suggestions would be welcome. :D

Soda water with a touch of Grenadine is an alternative... for a coupla glasses anyway.

It's not too sweet.

When you consider that I rarely drink Leo beer because it's too sweet, you'll understand my problem. And yes, where is Grenadine served up here in the sticks?

However, as I'm not giving up booze for the time being, the question does not really arise; for me, anyway.

Well not sure if this counts - since still alcohol involved. Always go to lager shandys. (half lemonade half lager) Mind you doesnt mean you drink double what you normally do. My uncle used to be a big drinker - now drinks hardly at all apart from a shandy every now and again.

I drink to excess occasionally, and in moderation almost daily, so I think I'm a good candidate for joining in. However may I delay my membership til July 10 ? Wife has birthday on 8th

O.K. OneeyedJohn, make it the 11th then :D and I join you. The Kao Pansa starts the 11th of July and because many Thai men don't drink during the Pansa there will be less social pressure to drink.

A 'no thanks' won't insult anyone during the Pansa. It even might gain you some respect.

And nobody will ask you if you have a special reason for this remarcable behaviour.

Limbo :o

PS: Out of solidarity with the lads we could slow down a little bit before the Pansa starts.

A couple of glasses less a day or so.

I am going to do it.

Tuky is going to do it.

I know some other members are certainly thinking about it.

Who else would like to join in our group, do the 90 Day detox and the self-help and self control exercise.

Been following all the threads closely and those of you planning a full stop I have a lot of empathy with you.

I will not join you at this time as I have exorcised most of my demons over a period of time and all people will need a differing modus operandi to succeed, my particular anchor will be away in Thailand for a 4 week period during this time and a full stop just wont be feasible, me thinks.

Although moderation will still be the key.

Later in the year, if it is still going I will join you on a full stop programme.

And believe me I know all the demons that come with a full stop programme, by name.

Good Luck, I will support if I possibly can

Moss

Good luck Mobi, I like your style, particularly if it suits you.

TP, how are bearing up, particularly with the pain to contend with as well?

Regards

Moss

My style wasn’t too good last night.

After 8 ‘dry’ days, I decided to go out and have a few social drinks and a meal and then drop by Monty’s and watch the match. The wife declined to accompany me.

Drove round Mabprachan Lake and stopped at a bar. There were a few customers engrossed in private conversations, so I bought a few drinks for the cute little things behind the bar and ordered my Thai whisky. Had a good meal, and more whiskies. Not sure, but I suspect that the girls were giving me generous tots, as I started to get quite woozy. My drinking was ‘border line’ social drinking, as I was alone, and I didn’t even chat to the girls much – just kept downing the whisky. Not sure how many I had, which is a bad sign.

At around 9.45 I headed off to the resort to watch the match. I had another 3 whiskies – not bad for two hours, but by midnight I was feeling quite sozzled.

Then, as is my want of old, I then decided to have a few ‘nightcaps’ and headed back towards the lake. This is usually fatal, as once I’m in this mood; I will keep drinking until the bars throw me out.

Half way to the first bar, I had a change of heart. “What the heck am I doing?”

I turned the car round, headed home and to bed, where the wife was awake, awaiting my return.

This morning I feel like shit – but no doubt would be feeling a lot worse if I hadn’t turned the car round.

I am also feeling depressed, as I didn’t really pass the first test very well. I probably didn’t drink that much, but my tolerance levels must be low after 4 months of abstinence, and only a couple of lapses. Last night I was drinking like the old ‘alcoholic’ Mobi, and not the new ‘social drinking’ Mobi. I think I’ll have to give the bars a miss, unless I’m with someone. There’s no doubt that I drink much more, and at a faster pace when I’m alone.

I must think long and hard about this episode, and decide where I go from here. Maybe the social drinking won’t work for me after all.

Probably give it one more try.

....I am also feeling depressed, as I didn’t really pass the first test very well.....

But with a Behaviour control system there is no pass or fail.

You made a decision to have a few more, now what is important id for you to understand why, and how a "Few more" would make you better.

When you can see inside your motivations, then you are a clear winner.

It's not too sweet.

Maybe we should start a new thread for suggestions for non-alcoholic drinks?

:o

I must be a philistine! What on earth is grenadine.

The problem with this, and most exoctic drinks is that that most bars won't be able to serve them. But it would be a good idea for home.

So far, my home produced drinks are: lots of water, virgin Mary's, carrot juice, diet cokes, coffee, tea, and a half glass of freshly sqeezed orange juice per day. Any other low, or non sugar drink suggestions would be welcome. :D

Grenadine is a red cordial for adults, more red colour than flavour. You may still have problems with your diabetes if you have to many, but is an alternative for one drink to try. :D Especially if it is weak as sugested.

As to no drinks for the non drinkers on the piss up, how about a challenge to the bar owners. They get a bunch of drinkers on a night out plus some non drinkers if they can come up with some interesting adult non alchohlic drinks. Reviews to be posted, and recipies if they agree. Just remind them that there is more margin in soft drinks than beer.

My style wasn’t too good last night.

<snip>

At around 9.45 I headed off to the resort to watch the match. I had another 3 whiskies – not bad for two hours, but by midnight I was feeling quite sozzled.

Then, as is my want of old, I then decided to have a few ‘nightcaps’ and headed back towards the lake. This is usually fatal, as once I’m in this mood; I will keep drinking until the bars throw me out.

I turned the car round, headed home and to bed, where the wife was awake, awaiting my return.This morning I feel like shit – but no doubt would be feeling a lot worse if I hadn’t turned the car round.

<snip>

Probably give it one more try.

Mate you passed one test with flying colours.

You stopped and went home. That in its self is a BIG step in the right direction. :o You are consiously changing the behavour that has got you into trouble in the past.

One reason the booze affected you more than expected is that you have given you body a break.

Keep the bike riding analogy in mind. When you were learning to ride a bike you did not get on and ride first time, kept at it untill you suceeded, because you were a kid you did not get depressed and put the bike in a shed, you kept at it. You are trying to ride a different bike. :D

Edited by Chang_paarp

Good luck Mobi, I like your style, particularly if it suits you.

TP, how are bearing up, particularly with the pain to contend with as well?

Regards

Moss

Well I have just got out of hospital after 3 days this morning.... apparantly my shortness of breath was due to the surgeon PUNCTURING MY LUNG when he performed the pain block routine for my cracked ribs. :o

Lucky I went back in ....it still not that easy to breathe, but better than before.

So I suppose I have been on an "Enforced " holiday from alcohol.... but nevertheless I have not had a drink since last Tuesday night :D

Drove round Mabprachan Lake and stopped at a bar. There were a few customers engrossed in private conversations, so I bought a few drinks for the cute little things behind the bar and ordered my Thai whisky. Had a good meal, and more whiskies. Not sure, but I suspect that the girls were giving me generous tots, as I started to get quite woozy. My drinking was ‘border line’ social drinking, as I was alone, and I didn’t even chat to the girls much – just kept downing the whisky. Not sure how many I had, which is a bad sign.

I turned the car round, headed home and to bed, where the wife was awake, awaiting my return.

:o:D:D

You shouldn't be operating a vechile at all in that state. If you are going out for a drink, leave the motor at home, especially when you have no idea how much you are going to drink. Not just endangering yourself you know. :D

I drink to excess occasionally, and in moderation almost daily, so I think I'm a good candidate for joining in. However may I delay my membership til July 10 ? Wife has birthday on 8th

O.K. OneeyedJohn, make it the 11th then :D and I join you. The Kao Pansa starts the 11th of July and because many Thai men don't drink during the Pansa there will be less social pressure to drink.

A 'no thanks' won't insult anyone during the Pansa. It even might gain you some respect.

And nobody will ask you if you have a special reason for this remarcable behaviour.

Limbo :o

PS: Out of solidarity with the lads we could slow down a little bit before the Pansa starts.

A couple of glasses less a day or so.

Hi Limbo,

I did the Buddha Lent or Kao Pansa last year. Three months with no alcohol and no smoking. It was great. I got so much more energy, I felt great every day, could work quite hard (rebuilding my house) had good sleep etc.

And when I played golf I did not have to join the lads for a beer after 3, 6, 13 holes and my golfgame got much better (and I could get back some of the money I lost during the years :D ).

I never missed the beers in the bars (I had Coke and Soda instead) or restaurants. What I did miss was a glass of red wine together with my lady at home to a good meal now and then I missed the little whiskey late at night watching some sport on TV.

And giving up smoking when you give up drinking is so much easier. For me they go together.

I also had a bet with my lady that if I could make the three months she will pay for our wedding!! I think that helped me a lot being a very cheap guy :D

I will give it a try this year too.

So cheers all guys that stop 30th of June. You can start drinking 12 days ahead of me and Limbo (and hopefully OEJ)! :D:D:D

Well I have just got out of hospital after 3 days this morning.... apparantly my shortness of breath was due to the surgeon PUNCTURING MY LUNG when he performed the pain block routine for my cracked ribs. :o

Lucky I went back in ....it still not that easy to breathe, but better than before.

So I suppose I have been on an "Enforced " holiday from alcohol.... but nevertheless I have not had a drink since last Tuesday night :D

Well, I would like to say thats great, but I am not sure thats the right response in this instance!!

Well done anyway

Moss

Drove round Mabprachan Lake and stopped at a bar. There were a few customers engrossed

You shouldn't be operating a vechile at all in that state. If you are going out for a drink, leave the motor at home, especially when you have no idea how much you are going to drink. Not just endangering yourself you know. :o

You're absolutely right, and I'm not proud of myself for drink driving. That was one of the huge plusses of driving during my 4 months on the wagon.

It's no excuse, but out here if you don't drive you can't go out - there is no public transport. And all the bars aroound the lake are frequented by farangs who have driven there, about 50/50 4 wheels/2 wheels. If the customers didn't drive to the bars, they would all close. The distances are relative short, and the traffic is sparese - but again, no excuse.

But this thread isn't about drink driving - it's about quitting drinking, and the follow on from that will be safer driving.

Yesterday morning I went to Bangkok for a hospital appointment. I checked in the Nana Hotel around midday, and was blown out by my mate who I’d lined up for lunch. Went a-wandering, and had a terrible lunch in an Aussie run pub/bar on Soi 7/1, (the sausages were half raw, and when I sent them back to be re-cooked, they never came back, and I ended up eating a horrible subway down the road).

Moseyed on down to my old hunting grounds in Washington Square, and was molested by all and sundry in the Silver Dollar. Broke one of my new rules and started drinking in the afternoon. Had a few Thai whiskeys. After an hour or so I was dropping off to sleep, so had 2 large coffees and started drinking again. Finally left around six and started a mini 'bar crawl' in and around Soi 33, where I was drinking very slowly, and also alternating between whiskey sodas and just sodas.

Another old mate ‘rescued’ me from a very strange bar off Soi33 at around 8.30 and we adjourned to the Robin Hood to watch Brazil/Ghana with English sound track. :D Had about 2 more whiskeys, plus a couple of sodas. We were thrown out at midnight, so I taxied back to Nana, had a single ‘nightcap’ in NEC and crashed at about 12.45.

I was a bit pissed, but not overly so. My consumption was probably at least half of what it would have been in the old days on such a day out – but not a qualified success, in my view. :o

Today, the Doc told me that alcohol is exacerbating this little problem that I have, and I have to go back on Friday for a more invasive examination!

Also today I met another friend for lunch, and we nattered the afternoon away in a bar on Soi 23. He drank beer and I drank diet cokes and sodas. I’m back home in Pong now, and I’m quite proud of today. No booze at all after yesterday’s bad efforts. Strange thing is that I had planned to have a few drinks with him, but for some reason I stuck to my sodas.

My efforts continue. :D

Strange thing is that I had planned to have a few drinks with him, but for some reason I stuck to my sodas.

My efforts continue. :o

Soda has a taste and once you are used to it, its a nice drink.

Mobi - You can do it.

Soda has a taste and once you are used to it, its a nice drink.

Mobi - You can do it.

Thank you Khutan, the support helps a lot. I did the 4 months on the wagon pretty much alone, and it was a bit hard.

TP, why don't you use your enforced abstinance as a stepping stone to quitting? You've already gone throughthe first two days of withdrawal. Just a thought. :o

To all who are starting tomorrow - good luck. :D

Now i have read all your stories i relate to many of them, I know i drink too much and it would be hard to give it up. but if i can do it with you guys then i shall try.

Can i give till the 7th? It's because i am going to the Montreux Festival to see Simply Red on the 5th?? Tickets cost me a fortune but ah well once in a while.... so i think i may drink a couple while i am there. andthen a day to think things over and then BIG WOOOOOO

PS It is quite frightening to give it up isn't it?

"

Can i join as well?

Absolutely. :D

The more support for each other the better.

And Mobi... tomorrow is the 30th... dry from midnight OK?

We CAN all do it.

Well.. I've started early.. I'm on day 12 ... I wonder if I can keep it going though .. :o

totster :D

Can i join as well?

We CAN all do it.

Well.. I've started early.. I'm on day 12 ... I wonder if I can keep it going though .. :D

You sly dog totster... nothing like jumping the gun... :o

You can keep it going... just stay 13 days in front of the rest of us.

Nothing like a little bit of one-upmanship to maintain the impetus... :D

You can be our target... and we'll be your anchor.

:D

Can i join as well?

We CAN all do it.

Well.. I've started early.. I'm on day 12 ... I wonder if I can keep it going though .. :D

You sly dog totster... nothing like jumping the gun... :o

You can keep it going... just stay 13 days in front of the rest of us.

Nothing like a little bit of one-upmanship to maintain the impetus... :D

You can be our target... and we'll be your anchor.

:D

Sorry.. didn't mean to... :D

But what with the shifts I've been working I haven't had a chance.... my biggest worry is Saturday.. If I can get through that without an almighty binge I'll be ok..

BTW.. if I started early.. does that mean I can finish early... :D:D