Phuket's Surin Beach 'may be stripped of all businesses'

"Yes and when you're at home it's easy, grab stuff from fridge, haul the kids to the car but when on holiday and staying in a hotel room it's not so easy is it, really?"

It's not that difficult either. Coolers are not hard to find, 7-11s sell ice along with other food and drink. For the folks who are on holiday who don't give a toss what happens to environment I have no sympathy. For those of us that happen to live here, I think most would like it to look clean, natural as possible, and nothing to be ashamed of.

If it really is happening, no beach chairs and no vendors on the beach I will be very, very happy. And for those people who want their drinks on the beach anyway: just cross the road, always directly behind the beach, and you'll find plenty of vendors there.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This policy should extend nationwide, Islands naturally recede with time and erosion, all structures should be setback, all seawalls removed so sand can replenish.

This is the same as the land on the right hand side of So Bangla heading east,

Originally given to places that were on Patong beach but forced out

How many times have they changed hands, for how many millions of Baht>

PLUS they need look into the land titles of all the places on the other side of the sidewalk in Kamala,

How many of those shops/restaurants/bungalows are legal?

If your going to clean the island up then clean the whole island up>>>>

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1

Amazing. Tourism figures already suffering so what can they do next? Well we did the curfew ermm...Oh, let's see, how about making beaches places where you can't lay on the beach on a sunbed and get a beer!! Great stuff, I heard Vietnam has nice beaches though, and you can get lunch and a glass of wine too! And everybody here saying "quite right, if it's not legal they should go" will be the same people whining about how Thailand doesn't do enough to get tourists in... Incredible mentality of an already pretty much <removed> up country. Too bad, such a glorious country be stripped bare

I got me a big beach towel to lay on and an isky to hold my cold ones.

No problem here mate biggrin.png

• Like 1

arent there plenty of beaches in non tourist areas where the expats can go and live if they dont like the tourist trappings? maybe their tastes change as they get old?

I don't think there is any connection here with expats, simply with trying to preserve (or reclaiming) Phuket. Also tourists like beautiful beaches, there is a reason on all brochures the beaches look just like 15 or more years ago. And on the promotional photos you don't see sunloungers 5 rows deep.

Just goes to show you the Thai mentality towards laws; both officials and villagers.

Yea ,to say this very nicely;;;;THEY DON'T GIVE A FLYING FOX ABOUT THE LAW;;;;;beatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAu say no more !

• Like 1

I got me a big beach towel to lay on and an isky to hold my cold ones.

No problem here mate biggrin.png

I see more and more tourists doing just that on Kata Beach. Mosty all the Russians, lay out the towel, liquid refreshmants in a big bag. Sabai Jai. Day of the beach seat vendors is doomed.

Just goes to show you the Thai mentality towards laws; both officials and villagers.

Here we go with the snobbish comments about Thai mentality...

Is Thai mentality any different from that of your home country?

If anything, I'd say that overall Thai mentality is superior. Show me a tourist area

in any of your home countries that doesn't have shysters, chiselers and cheats.

If anything, I'd say that overall Thai mentality is superior. Show me a tourist area

"If anything, I'd say that overall Thai mentality is superior." - sure. That's why Thailand is so successful on the world stage. cheesy.gif

• Like 2

Agree with the government on all levels on this one. you cant just build structures on public land...i mean whats next, illegal logging? And I personally have never require a chair to enjoy a great beach, in fact, I think most of my favorite areas are chairless anyway.

• Like 1

if they dont hold a valid lease agreement or a chanote then it must go ...this is public land NOT for someone just to take

But this is what people do in Thailand, maybe because they are used to squating??

Obviously you have never been to Canada.

• Like 1