Phuket's Surin Beach 'may be stripped of all businesses'

webfact

These plastic loungers are stackable. They can still hire out a chair and brolly, but, they only go on the beach once they have been hired. Soon as they leave the beach, the lounger goes back on the stack.

This solves the problem of tourists wanting a lounger and no more rows and rows of empty loungers.

I agree, and to take things further, here's a workable solution that would solve many problems.

1) All beach chair hire now goes to the local orbortor.

2) Orbortor hires staff to handle chair rentals, keep beach clean in that area, and offer basic refreshments from a small kiosk somewhere in the shade line of the trees next to the beach. If staff doesn't work, they get sacked and the next hire gets a go. Pretty soon the word would be out that the beach employees actually have to work.

3) All money collected on beach chair hire ( in theory and with proper accounting!) goes towards paying lifeguards a proper wage, as well as equipment which is up to international standards. Money also goes towards building public facilities for bathrooms and showers as well as beach cleaners. Why do most "world class" beaches here not have public facilities?

This simple formula seems to work in most parts of the world, so if greed could somehow be eliminated from the current situation, Phuket's beaches could in theory match other first world "world class " beaches.

Sorry, I don't agree. I have three houses at "world class" beaches. Our government in California takes anyone who thinks "their" beach is private to court. There are no lounger rentals, never have been. All businesses are on private land, not on public. Seems to work well and now with the National Marine Sanctuaries, the coastal waters are returning to their natural beauty with abundant sea life after so many years of over fishing. I was always amazed that the whole beach lounger and bars on the beach was ever tolerated here. I'm very happy the law is finally being enforced. Although I did see beach loungers back on Ya Nui just yesterday. I think this will be an on going battle.

LaLaLand different kettle of fish. Unfortunately. Wait 'til October ...

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now you might undestand 'how this is exploitative or criminal in the way the tuk tuk and jet ski scams are (were)'.

Will be yet again. 'Leopards' and 'spots' and all that.

These plastic loungers are stackable. They can still hire out a chair and brolly, but, they only go on the beach once they have been hired. Soon as they leave the beach, the lounger goes back on the stack.

This solves the problem of tourists wanting a lounger and no more rows and rows of empty loungers.

I agree, and to take things further, here's a workable solution that would solve many problems.

1) All beach chair hire now goes to the local orbortor.

2) Orbortor hires staff to handle chair rentals, keep beach clean in that area, and offer basic refreshments from a small kiosk somewhere in the shade line of the trees next to the beach. If staff doesn't work, they get sacked and the next hire gets a go. Pretty soon the word would be out that the beach employees actually have to work.

3) All money collected on beach chair hire ( in theory and with proper accounting!) goes towards paying lifeguards a proper wage, as well as equipment which is up to international standards. Money also goes towards building public facilities for bathrooms and showers as well as beach cleaners. Why do most "world class" beaches here not have public facilities?

This simple formula seems to work in most parts of the world, so if greed could somehow be eliminated from the current situation, Phuket's beaches could in theory match other first world "world class " beaches.

Sorry, I don't agree. I have three houses at "world class" beaches. Our government in California takes anyone who thinks "their" beach is private to court. There are no lounger rentals, never have been. All businesses are on private land, not on public. Seems to work well and now with the National Marine Sanctuaries, the coastal waters are returning to their natural beauty with abundant sea life after so many years of over fishing. I was always amazed that the whole beach lounger and bars on the beach was ever tolerated here. I'm very happy the law is finally being enforced. Although I did see beach loungers back on Ya Nui just yesterday. I think this will be an on going battle.

LaLaLand different kettle of fish. Unfortunately. Wait 'til October ...

My wife told me the army went around to Nai Harn, Ya Nui and Rawai again yesterday. I rode around those areas again today. She was right, everything is coming down. Maybe I'll post some photos tomorrow. And by the way, the army will still be in charge in October.

• Like 1

@ Jimi007

Good news.

I have no doubt the Army will still be in charge in October, but will they still be on Phuket, winding back some corruption and making sure the police do their job, in October?

Edited by NamKangMan

@Livinginkata:

You say the beach chair concession fee goes (went) into the pocket of corrupt Karon officials. Do you have evidence of that?

What if the beach chair concession fee was legally paid to the Municipality, would you still object to the service?

If you want the concessions abolished, what would you provide in place of that for the situation I described?

Would this mean that all beach chairs and beach loungers all over Phuket will have to go?

I was shocked when I went to Kata and Nai Harn beaches yesterday...no more beach chairs! None! I bet the beach hasn't looked like this in over 20 yers. Nearly brought a tear to my eye.

But lot's of garbage washed up on the beach as always this time of year. And I watched a group of Thai youths set up in the trees near us packed up their belongings but left all their garbage. angry.png.pagespeed.ce.Cla6z9sEn6.png Next thing we need is full time year round beach cleaners and bins.

I wonder what happened to this http://www.thephuketnews.com/kamala-gets-island%E2%80%99s-first-full-time-beach-cleaners-41231.php

@Livinginkata:

You say the beach chair concession fee goes (went) into the pocket of corrupt Karon officials. Do you have evidence of that?

What if the beach chair concession fee was legally paid to the Municipality, would you still object to the service?

If you want the concessions abolished, what would you provide in place of that for the situation I described?

No,I have no hard evidence. Just anecdotal chatter.

Nowhere did I object to the service. I did object to the corruption factor.

@Livinginkata:

If it were legal, it would appear on the income sheet of the orbortor. Just as the fees paid by the taxi guys for their stands. They do not, and are there for illegal.

@Livinginkata:

The service is fine.. but should be located a bit less conveniently so the best spots are not taken up by them. These are for tourists and others that want to enjoy the natural beauty.

Its a tricky situation of course because its a service that is needed but on the other hand they also force people away who don't want to use the chairs. I think "normal people" should go before beach chair vendors.

Plus of course it should be put as income for the government not some corrupt official.

stevenl:

please provide some evidence that the concession which the beach chair groups pay is not legal.

Do you read Thai? Do you have contacts within the Karon Municipality or police to see how the receipts are managed?

stevenl:

please provide some evidence that the concession which the beach chair groups pay is not legal.

Do you read Thai? Do you have contacts within the Karon Municipality or police to see how the receipts are managed?

And at the same time, why don't you come up with some proof that the payments were legal?

God, you're naive!

• Like 2

stevenl:

This is easy. You can't have any concessions or structures on a public beach. All the payments were going into the pockets of the crooked OrBorTors. Encroachment of the beaches became worse every year. It was out of control...Surin.

There could be no legal contract for services on the King's beach.

How the receipts are managed is irrelevant.

Every business and every official knew this was illegal. Phuket was a cesspool. There was no way to stop the rampant corruption except a coup. Every politician and official was bent. Selling off National Forests and beaches, the very thing that they were suppose to stop, they were getting rich from.

Evidence...Jesus wept.

New Sheriff, er...General in town. Buddha bless the Generals.

• Like 2

Would this mean that all beach chairs and beach loungers all over Phuket will have to go?

I was shocked when I went to Kata and Nai Harn beaches yesterday...no more beach chairs! None! I bet the beach hasn't looked like this in over 20 yers. Nearly brought a tear to my eye.

But lot's of garbage washed up on the beach as always this time of year. And I watched a group of Thai youths set up in the trees near us packed up their belongings but left all their garbage. angry.png.pagespeed.ce.Cla6z9sEn6.png Next thing we need is full time year round beach cleaners and bins.

I wonder what happened to this http://www.thephuketnews.com/kamala-gets-island%E2%80%99s-first-full-time-beach-cleaners-41231.php

Still going. Now spread to several other beaches. The Kata Karon Green Club is just getting started.

example_zpsd5f28e74.jpg?t=1404981254

Southern part of Bang Niang Beach, Khao Lak, June 2014.

This might be the ideal situation, restaurants/bars/chairs having a limited presence on the beach.

I hope that in Phuket, where the situation got out of hand in many places, a sustainable kind of middle way can be found.

^

Exactly. Limited facilities. Plenty of space for folks who want to do the lie down on towel sun bathe. Trouble was that on some beaches there was little space and the vendors did not 'allow' the do-it-yourself approach. To be honest that was never the case, plenty of bathers had there own towels and no trouble.

Karen My Dear:

If you (and others) are going to accuse the beach chair guys of corruption then it is your obligation to prove it.

Even if there was some skimming off the top by the Municipality (as in the fast lane at the airport) would that be acceptable?

Where is your "line in the sand"?

The line in the sand is, there isn't suppose to be anything on the public beach...except sand. The corruption is proven by the fact that they're there. The bars, the restaurants, the massage tents, all the crap that's illegally there. It's all going. It shouldn't be there.

Can you get a beach chair and umbrella at a beach in the West? No. Then why is it okay here?

There is no middle way. The Generals are doing what has to be done.

• Like 1

The line in the sand is, there isn't suppose to be anything on the public beach...except sand. The corruption is proven by the fact that they're there. The bars, the restaurants, the massage tents, all the crap that's illegally there. It's all going. It shouldn't be there.

Can you get a beach chair and umbrella at a beach in the West? No. Then why is it okay here?

There is no middle way. The Generals are doing what has to be done.

Pinot, may I invite you to visit our lovely Dutch coast? In all the beach resorts, come spring huge beach pavillions are set up, which are selling food and drinks. They always have a big outdoor sitting area. In autumn, they are taken away again.

If you are so keen on beaches without any commercial activities, there are plenty for you in Thailand, be it maybe not in Phuket.