Land Prices

boogie

Am looking to buy a house or land in Chaiyaphum. How does 400,000 baht for 200 talang wah sound ? It has water and electricity and doesnt need any landfill, infact it is in a residential area on the outskirts. At first I thought it sounded expensive, but some Thai friends with no falang connection paid 300,00 baht for 100 talang wah, also in Chaiyaphum. Would welcome any input/comments.

Cheers

Please correct me if i am wrong regarding the measurement in Thailand.

(DTAH RAHNG) WAH (square) wah. 4 sq meters. 4.784 sq yards.

NGAHN 100 square wah

RA 400 square wah 1600 sq meters.

Therefor 400,000 Baht would be for 1/2 RA or 200 square wah. In Ubon you would expect to pay around 800.000 for the same in the centre of town. This is for land only.

Isan Farang

yes 400,000 for 1/2 Rai. 800,000 in Ubon, thats interesting.

The bank is selling a house nearby on 83 TW, so less than 1/4 rai and the house basicaly needs knocking down or at the very least some major renovations. They want 420,000 baht. So I dont think 400,000 for 1/2 Rai is too bad.

Thanks croftrobin, an interesting site. We've now found another piece of land, just outside Chaiyaphum 200,000 for 200 TW. My wife knows it quite well and believes its a better proposition.

Anybody built a house in the area who could recommend any builders ?

• 8 months later...

On the Kasikorn/Thai Farmer's site, they list land sizes in some format I don't understand. For example, listings here show sizes like: 2-0-0 or 1-0-40 or 32-1-60.

I suppose these could rai-ngan-talangwaa, but the numbers, even in similar districts, don't seem to reflect that.

Also, any idea why the site doesn't list Khon Kaen as one of the searchable provinces?

Any help would be appreciated. :o

On the Kasikorn/Thai Farmer's site, they list land sizes in some format I don't understand. For example, listings here show sizes like:  2-0-0 or 1-0-40 or 32-1-60.

I suppose these could rai-ngan-talangwaa, but the numbers, even in similar districts, don't seem to reflect that.

Also, any idea why the site doesn't list Khon Kaen as one of the searchable provinces?

Any help would be appreciated.  :o

I looked at the link and idt seems to me that your idea is correct: rai, ngan, talangwaa. What makes you think this is not true for all districts?

Also, I looked for Chiangrai which is my home province and mostly the prices for land I saw seemed expensive compared to what we bought...or at least the type and price of land we bought isn't available through the bank. We are about 1 km off of the main road and about 20 km from Muang Chiangrai. We bought two parcels of about 5 rai each and paid 85,000 per rai for one and 75,000 per rai for the other. The expensive one has irrigation canal frontage and road access, the other did not. So I'd say don't assume that the bank listing contains all types of property available because there is nothing like our land listed with the bank!!

I looked at the link and idt seems to me that your idea is correct: rai, ngan, talangwaa.  What makes you think this is not true for all districts?

Sorry, I misspoke. I meant that the prices did not seem to reflect the rai-ngan-talangwa (RNT) interpretation. Looked like places of smilar size had widely varying prices, even in similar districts. I suppose that could relfect specifics of theproperty, the vagaries of what owners ask for, etc.

But I am buoyed by your view that the numbers seem to have the RNT interpretation. Thanks! :o

But any idea why Khon Kaen is not even listed as one of the provinces? Plenty of Thai farmers there... :D

I've lost my school books,

would someone remind me how many rai to the acre and hectare?

Thanks

It's been so long since I did this and I'm too lazy to get up and find the book..but I'll give you enough information so you can figure it yourself

1 rai = 1600 square meters = a square 40 metres on a side

1 hectare = 10,000 square meters = a square 100 metres on a side

640 acres = 1 square mile = a square 1 mile on a side

1 mile = 5,280 feet

1 foot = 0.304800609601 metre approximately

I'm also a math teacher which is why I'm a sadistic son of a bitch!

2 points extra credit if you can explain why pi are squared and not round.