Dead turtles, dolphins wash up at Phuket's Mai Khao Beach

webfact

Dead turtles, dolphins wash up at Phuket's Mai Khao Beach
Suthicha Sirirat

1403089008_1-org.jpg
This turtle was found washed up at Mai Khao beach.

PHUKET: -- Five turtles and two dolphins have died at Mai Khao Beach in the last month or so, with the majority left drowned or injured after they were caught in fishing nets.

Sea Turtle Conservation Centre Manager Kitiphat Sapkoon said the turtles were Olive Ridley and Hawksbill.

Officials believed they sea animals died from being trapped in fishing nets because there are often many nets washed up on the beach, and some of the turtles had fishing-net related injuries.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/dead-turtles-dolphins-wash-up-at-phuket%E2%80%99s-mai-khao-beach-46932.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-06-19

"Officials believed they sea animals died from being trapped in fishing nets because there are often many nets washed up on the beach"

Were the sea creatures wrapped in the nets when found on shore?

I think I will wait for the necropsy results unless these officials are actually scientists. The fishing nets have been an issue for years so why did these creatures just float up now en masse? This could be the result of a contaminant of some sort as easily as from a fishing net if they were not found actually entangled?

• Like 2

It appears that sea turtles are a highly contentious subject here on thai visa and we, as members, are not allowed to critisize this loss of precious life..

There could be many causes of death. None the less could be complete lack of food supply due to overfishing by THAILAND as well as OTHER ASIAN neighbors.

Moreover, there seems to be a complete disregard for life in ASIA in general for precious species except to further the food supply of "humans".

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

APPROPRIATE Education is the ONLY solution... As it is with MOST things in life!

hey empireboy, i agree with education, but i also believe its time to enforce an eye for an eye for those of this planet more sensitive than us who cannot defend themselves against the onslaught and virus we call the human species - when it comes to destroying the only home we have.

APPROPRIATE Education is the ONLY solution... As it is with MOST things in life!

hey empireboy, i agree with education, but i also believe its time to enforce an eye for an eye for those of this planet more sensitive than us who cannot defend themselves against the onslaught and virus we call the human species - when it comes to destroying the only home we have.

Nobody on the Thai fishing boats, Thai Captains to Myanmar forced labor give a rats a***s about anything in their fishing nets other than what they are fishing for. Drowned turtles and dolphins, overboard ya go. It's sad but, thinking you are going to educate these people to act differently is naive.

Nobody on the Thai fishing boats, Thai Captains to Myanmar forced labor give a rats a***s about anything in their fishing nets other than what they are fishing for. Drowned turtles and dolphins, overboard ya go. It's sad but, thinking you are going to educate these people to act differently is naive.

What then should happen to drowned turtles and dolphins? What do they do in other countries with such drowned animals?

There is more than one way to modify behavior--for instance, create a financial disincentive to continue current practices...I know, thinking you are going to see enforcement is naive.

Cheers

"Officials believed they sea animals died from being trapped in fishing nets because there are often many nets washed up on the beach"

Were the sea creatures wrapped in the nets when found on shore?

I think I will wait for the necropsy results unless these officials are actually scientists. The fishing nets have been an issue for years so why did these creatures just float up now en masse? This could be the result of a contaminant of some sort as easily as from a fishing net if they were not found actually entangled?

Did you not read this bit?:

some of the turtles had fishing-net related injuries.