Buying land in Isaan

MonkeyLoo

Some crazy people here. Would you buy land in your own country without the proper papers?

Yeah, but your own country is not this country. Big difference. Proper papers does not neccessarily mean just Chanot either.

Why do you think all this bad storries about foreigners in Thailand exists?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This seems to be "the never ending story" in Thailand. Why can't the foreigner understand that he can't buy land in Thailand? My advive is to STAY AWAY from whatever kind of land they are selling. And be aware of that you have to sign a paper at the Land Office that says the money for the land doesn't come from you.

Yes and your opinion seems also to be a never ending story. A story that contains greedy people that haven´t got a thaibaht over to spend on their families.

These cheap guys never had a thought in their heads, that when they are gone there can be a good thing to take care of i.e. the wife and secure her future when you are dead and gone.

You never own your money for eternity,,, you just borrow them until you dies,,, than it is goodbye with both you/me and our money... So loosen up, and be a man and not a cheap human walking this earth...

Glegolo

If you one day are so unfortunate to have a deep marital conflict with your Thai wife, if you have one, you are free to tell me that I'm wrong.

Someone sounds really bitter in here.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Or realistic. It can and does happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That's fair comment mate but the way his posts come across, like everyone is stupid.

This seems to be "the never ending story" in Thailand. Why can't the foreigner understand that he can't buy land in Thailand? My advive is to STAY AWAY from whatever kind of land they are selling. And be aware of that you have to sign a paper at the Land Office that says the money for the land doesn't come from you.

"Can't buy" should be changed to "can't own". There are 30 year leases, usufructs, etc., which a farang can get in his/her name.

When we bought a house in Pak Thongchai about 5 years ago, my wife and I had not formalized our marriage. The land office required me to sign the "money does not come from me", but then suggested that a "superfices" be added to the chanote that allowed me to stay on that land "for my lifetime". When we sold that place a couple of years later, I had to sign an agreement to release my claim.

As I understand, the same option my not be available to persons legally married

You can read page after page on the net from Thai law firms where it says that foreigner can't buy land in Thailand. Why is it so difficult for someone to understand this simple fact?

Perhaps for the same reason you can't seem to comprehend the part of my post, re. "buy vs own". I realize that would make your sermon a bit less acute, but your really should think a bit rather than blurting the same message again and again ... and again.

That's fair comment mate but the way his posts come across, like everyone is stupid.

What you wanna call it is up to you, but sometimes when a foreigner comes to Thailand and spend all his life savings on a Thai lady and her family without having the faintest idea about what Thai tradition and culture are I think that it must be alowed to have a personal veiw on that on the forum without someone "nagging" about it.

"Can't buy" should be changed to "can't own". There are 30 year leases, usufructs, etc., which a farang can get in his/her name.

When we bought a house in Pak Thongchai about 5 years ago, my wife and I had not formalized our marriage. The land office required me to sign the "money does not come from me", but then suggested that a "superfices" be added to the chanote that allowed me to stay on that land "for my lifetime". When we sold that place a couple of years later, I had to sign an agreement to release my claim.

As I understand, the same option my not be available to persons legally married

You can read page after page on the net from Thai law firms where it says that foreigner can't buy land in Thailand. Why is it so difficult for someone to understand this simple fact?

Perhaps for the same reason you can't seem to comprehend the part of my post, re. "buy vs own". I realize that would make your sermon a bit less acute, but your really should think a bit rather than blurting the same message again and again ... and again.

It's nothing to think about. Just axept that you can't buy land in Thailand. It's not so difficult.

Always surprises me how dumb some people are, if you don't know the price don't buy, if you have to ask strangers on a forum done buy.

Do your research ask about .

What is dumb about asking guys on a Thai forum about buying land in Thailand?

Makes sense if i can learn from someone else with experience.

It would be far dumber not to seek advice.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As a remark to German Viking’s excellent recommendations, rule number one is:

Thou shall in Land-of-Smiles always be worth more alive than dead…

Most are smart enough not to kill the cow.

Hi I think you did'nt read my comment properly, she could not awaiting to catch the Life insurance

(about 300,000 Euros asap.

Like somebody said : "Freedom having a high value".

What you wanna call it is up to you, but sometimes when a foreigner comes to Thailand and spend all his life savings on a Thai lady and her family without having the faintest idea about what Thai tradition and culture are I think that it must be alowed to have a personal veiw on that on the forum without someone "nagging" about it.

Where did you read in this topic that someone has spent their life savings on a thai lady and her family?

The OP has clearly stated he knows he cannot own land in Thailand.

Its you who's "nagging" about.

Ive been offered 1 rai of nice land but it doesnt come with proper papers (chanote). Is it worth even considering this type of un registered land?

This is what he was asking about. As you know foreigners can't buy land in Thailand. And I would assume that he would give the money for the land to the lady. When I said "spend all his life savings on a Thai lady and her family" I ment that buying land in her name was a part of this. And building a house on land that DOESN'T belong to you I think is a very bad idea wherever you are. It's just common sense. And especially when the buyer doesn't get the proper papers for the land.

These illegal deals of non-chanote land, witnessed by the head man are usually respected in the villages, but this does not mean that you have any rights. In a neighboring village a falang's wife did the same deal and everything went well until the owner died and his kids claimed the land. They didn't bother to announce that they want the land back, they went directly to court and claimed their land back. The falang had to move, there was nothing to negotiate. I personally wouldn't invest in non- chanote land, unless it is sor por gor land in my wife's name. 300,000 is quite a money for no-title land, be careful

Fatfather

Ive been offered 1 rai of nice land but it doesnt come with proper papers (chanote). Is it worth even considering this type of un registered land?

This is what he was asking about. As you know foreigners can't buy land in Thailand. And I would assume that he would give the money for the land to the lady. When I said "spend all his life savings on a Thai lady and her family" I ment that buying land in her name was a part of this. And building a house on land that DOESN'T belong to you I think is a very bad idea wherever you are. It's just common sense. And especially when the buyer doesn't get the proper papers for the land.

I agree, its not ideal but if we were allowed to buy as non Thais the land prices would be through the roof as they are in the West.

As non Thai we can still have a nice place here and do as we like with it.

The money is small change so im just looking at minimising the risk. If it does go wrong, it wont be the end of the world. I have other overseas investments.

Thanks for all the replies.

My feeling is that as we know as farang we cant own anyway, proper papers or not.

It seems to be the way its done up here in the villages and no one i have spoken to has proper papers from the land registry.

A lot of the prime land along the Mekong is bought and held by companies and sells for millions. Are you any safer buying that? I doubt it.

And this is were the OP clearly states we as farangs cannot own any land.

My last thoughts on this topic, there is obviously a risk involved but its how much of a risk your willing to take.

Good luck to the OP on whatever he decides.

• 10 months later...

I encouter the same problem !

I would buy a land in a village of amphoe Muang Nong Khai. They have no Chanote so close of a so big city as it !

Because in a small village so far away from Sakhon Nakhon there we can get 2 Chanote, 1 for house land and 1 for the 11 rai of rice fields but in the village only 7 km far of Nong Khai, we cannot get this proper paper !

I could buy it to the neighbours of my family-in-law who are nice people needing money, but without Chanote I won't take the risk to spend 500'000.- bahts ! For goal to build a two floors house and a little bungalow resort !

This ridiculous paranoia about doing things the Thai way and not the way we do things back home is just silly. The two are just not comparable and comparisons are irrelevant. I have been buying and selling various titled/untitled bits of land for 15 years without any problems. The only thing you need is a good relationship with a Thai wife/husband and that for most Farang seems to be the biggest challenge. If you have that then of course you just do things the Thai way as there is no other way.

Sorry...

Thai law forbids you to own property, even with papers. You must sign over your money to your wife/friend and she will be buying the property. We all know the dangers of that! Find some nice property to rent/lease (with a house on it). You will feel much better about it later.

True about the Thai laws, but with the right woman on your side... it very likely could turn out ok.

No risk, no gain.

To the OP: If it feels right, and you trust/know your wife, go for it (assuming you can afford to take the loss IF the marrage goes south and she keeps all). Good luck.

May I ask how much per rai and which province?

I'm looking at some land again (in Korat) but the asking price varies between 120,000 to 150,000/rai, which strikes me as being a lot. The missus also agrees that it's quite expensive.

This ridiculous paranoia about doing things the Thai way and not the way we do things back home is just silly. The two are just not comparable and comparisons are irrelevant. I have been buying and selling various titled/untitled bits of land for 15 years without any problems. The only thing you need is a good relationship with a Thai wife/husband and that for most Farang seems to be the biggest challenge. If you have that then of course you just do things the Thai way as there is no other way.

Somo, tell that to the influential Thais that are now losing their land and resorts in various parts of the country, because they did it the Thai way.

Never by property in Thailand. Never buy property without a chanote. coffee1.gif

Don't worry...he can't buy property anyways.

It's impossible. The best he can do is give his wife money, sign a statement that he never gave her the money....and then lease it from her (unless she feels like kicking him out)

Then, remember...she can pawn it out, or refinance it...or let a China thug hold her paper in return for a loan with interest rates so high..she will never catch up. All this can be done without....and never with you.

Take her to your home country where you get fifty fifty.

Other than that....Good luck to him

I married a woman of great quality. We bought 30 Rai and planted rubber trees. We also planted 20 Rai of rubber on the parents land. Father inlaw is old and useless. Soon comes the problem of harvesting the rubber (same as cash) We pay people to plow and fertilize (also like cash) We have a good business in Pattaya and the wife can't just close the store to go to Issan. As far as I am concerned the land might as well be on the moon. I only invest money that I can afford to lose.

Know your people well (3 to 5 yrs) and don't invest your last dime. For most farangs it works out OK. Now I would not buy land in the western world without papers

haha and title insurance

A "women of great quality" I am very impressed. Thank you for sharing.

Always surprises me how dumb some people are, if you don't know the price don't buy, if you have to ask strangers on a forum done buy.

Do your research ask about .

But in order to know the price, one has to ask "How much?". Or do you know the price of absolutely everything? Let me guess, you're another "expert" who knows everything about everything, but at the end of the day knows sweet **** all...

Asking about on forums, strangers, farmers, locals, neighbours, etc. is a form of "research".

Or doesn't the expert know that?

Sorry...

Thai law forbids you to own property, even with papers. You must sign over your money to your wife/friend and she will be buying the property. We all know the dangers of that! Find some nice property to rent/lease (with a house on it). You will feel much better about it later.

If you are legally married you can buy land with your wife under the "sinsomrot" law. Nothing can be done with the land without your agreement. You don't own the land but you have a say on its future.

Land with out a chanote is no problem. The owner is defined as the person on the tax payment forms. My wife currently has about 10 rai of land without a chanote but she has the tax payments dating back 15 years. She was recently offered 3million for it. She turned it down. The offer will likely increase a the prospective buyers really need this piece of land for irrigation and access to a road.

Sorry...

If you are legally married you can buy land with your wife under the "sinsomrot" law. Nothing can be done with the land without your agreement. You don't own the land but you have a say on its future.

Land with out a chanote is no problem. The owner is defined as the person on the tax payment forms. My wife currently has about 10 rai of land without a chanote but she has the tax payments dating back 15 years. She was recently offered 3million for it. She turned it down. The offer will likely increase a the prospective buyers really need this piece of land for irrigation and access to a road.

You need to go back and re read. A foreigner can NEVER buy or own land in Thailand. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/677960-farangs-can-own-land-in-los/page-2

Archived