Buying land in Isaan

MonkeyLoo

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This ridiculous paranoia about doing things the Thai way and not the way we do things back home is just silly. The two are just not comparable and comparisons are irrelevant. I have been buying and selling various titled/untitled bits of land for 15 years without any problems. The only thing you need is a good relationship with a Thai wife/husband and that for most Farang seems to be the biggest challenge. If you have that then of course you just do things the Thai way as there is no other way.

Somo, tell that to the influential Thais that are now losing their land and resorts in various parts of the country, because they did it the Thai way.

The Thai way does not include breaking the law which is what the guys you refer to did.

From what you say there is no point in any foreigner ever getting involved in any land deals as things are not the same as back home. Well that is a pretty negative and totally impractical outlook and one I am glad I don't have. My instincts have served me well and I have never come to grief doing business with Thais but I do understand many do. As I said you do need a good partner though after which everything flows quite easily.

Sorry...

Thai law forbids you to own property, even with papers. You must sign over your money to your wife/friend and she will be buying the property. We all know the dangers of that! Find some nice property to rent/lease (with a house on it). You will feel much better about it later.

If you are legally married you can buy land with your wife under the "sinsomrot" law. Nothing can be done with the land without your agreement. You don't own the land but you have a say on its future.

Land with out a chanote is no problem. The owner is defined as the person on the tax payment forms. My wife currently has about 10 rai of land without a chanote but she has the tax payments dating back 15 years. She was recently offered 3million for it. She turned it down. The offer will likely increase a the prospective buyers really need this piece of land for irrigation and access to a road.

You need to go back and re read. A foreigner can NEVER buy or own land in Thailand. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/677960-farangs-can-own-land-in-los/page-2

You need to go back and re read.

Thought that law was about ownership post/pre marriage when splitting the worth of a married couple divorcing, but I might be wrong?????

That law says " you buy the land as a married couple and you sell it as a married couple". My signature is needed whenever my wife wants to do something with the land.

I did not ask for this by the way. I was happy for my wife to buy the land in her own right. The land office would not let her do it as she is leagally married and called me to the office to counter sign everything.

Sorry...

Thai law forbids you to own property, even with papers. You must sign over your money to your wife/friend and she will be buying the property. We all know the dangers of that! Find some nice property to rent/lease (with a house on it). You will feel much better about it later.

If you are legally married you can buy land with your wife under the "sinsomrot" law. Nothing can be done with the land without your agreement. You don't own the land but you have a say on its future.

Land with out a chanote is no problem. The owner is defined as the person on the tax payment forms. My wife currently has about 10 rai of land without a chanote but she has the tax payments dating back 15 years. She was recently offered 3million for it. She turned it down. The offer will likely increase a the prospective buyers really need this piece of land for irrigation and access to a road.

Was the 10 rai acquired after marriage puchooay ?

Sorry...

No. That was aquired before. It has been in the family for years.

My wife simply took over the tax payments as my father in law kept forgetting. I have no claim to that land. The land office keep saying that they are coming soon. The kand next but one recently got their chanote on the strength of tax paid. My wife's land should not be long away.

I may get a couple of beers from the funds. 555555

Sorry...

No. That was acquired before. It has been in the family for years.

My wife simply took over the tax payments as my father in law kept forgetting. I have no claim to that land. The land office keep saying that they are coming soon. The land next but one recently got their chanote on the strength of tax paid. My wife's land should not be long away.

I may get a couple of beers from the funds. 555555

Thank you... a simple point of order... would that make it sin suan tua ?

Thought that law was about ownership post/pre marriage when splitting the worth of a married couple divorcing, but I might be wrong?????

That law says " you buy the land as a married couple and you sell it as a married couple". My signature is needed whenever my wife wants to do something with the land.

I did not ask for this by the way. I was happy for my wife to buy the land in her own right. The land office would not let her do it as she is leagally married and called me to the office to counter sign everything.

Some land offices will do that and some will not. I have had my name on the title with the wife and she could not do anything with out me but by the legal system of Thailand I as a foreigner do not own the land. The best you can hope for is if she goes before you that you have a thirty year lease if you don't have that you have 1 year to sell.

Some land offices will do that and some will not. I have had my name on the title with the wife and she could not do anything with out me but by the legal system of Thailand I as a foreigner do not own the land. The best you can hope for is if she goes before you that you have a thirty year lease if you don't have that you have 1 year to sell.

Thought about that one. I have a daughter. After my demise or if my wife goes first, either way, it will belong to her. Sorted.

All this talk of marriage before or after buying or this legal bit of paper belonging to whoever is mostly irrelevant.

If you go into things here looking to secure the outcome of some future legal dispute then don't do it. You are already looking into the darkness and you will not win whatever the bit of paper says so forget it. On your own you cannot own land in Thailand so you need a partner therefore the ONLY thing that matters is that you have a good one. Forget everything else.

I was never married in my home country, but had lots of friends that lost their houses in divorce, even with the western law system, and in most cases it cost them large lawyer fees, just to lose their house. Thus when my wife and I built a house here, I did it with the full realization that I could lose it, the same as if I was in the west, however my lawyer fees would either be non existent or much lower. As for land, I trust my wife and feel it will all work out fair, but I could lose it all, however after nearly 15 years of marriage, 19 years of knowing each other, and a Thai Family that probably cares more for me than my wife, I feel pretty secure.

I was never married in my home country, but had lots of friends that lost their houses in divorce, even with the western law system, and in most cases it cost them large lawyer fees, just to lose their house. Thus when my wife and I built a house here, I did it with the full realization that I could lose it, the same as if I was in the west, however my lawyer fees would either be non existent or much lower. As for land, I trust my wife and feel it will all work out fair, but I could lose it all, however after nearly 15 years of marriage, 19 years of knowing each other, and a Thai Family that probably cares more for me than my wife, I feel pretty secure.

+1. Ditto.

• 1 year later...
As a foreigner YOU cannot own LAND end of.

If you want to trow money at a piece of land , thinking you own it, watch ya back as there is always someone who will sneak up and grab it off ya , and you dont have a leg to stand on.

I think it depends on what you are happy to walk away from. I bought a couple of plots of land for my girlfriend (now wife) for £300 a piece over 18 years ago. It was nothing special then but my girlfriend (now wife) liked them plus it was a good deal at the time. Over the years, the area became developed, roads appeared, big C , Tesco etc and the plots have become very good investments either as retirement plots for a house or shop in our old age. If she leaves me then she can have them as I wouldn't want them. Have j lost anything not really as I've had bigger restaurant bills in the past.

Archived