Video: Phuket's Surin Beach beach front being demolished

george

In a word wow

The rough with the smooth

Must be very hard for this go through

Can imagine they have been getting away with just paying fines for years but it seems like they accept it as they seem to know they are wrong but things in Thailand can be complicated for everyone not only forangs

I hope no one has bought a beach villa for a few hundred mill

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Short term pain, long term gain as the beach environment will heal and hopefully the clubs will reestablsh a bit inland, a smart business plan would be to deliver small portable tables and matts with a food and drink delivery and all removed when the meal and drinks are finished.

• Like 1

Its a shame... I can imagine getting rid of the tatty places, but some of those clubs are quite 'high life'. They also provide a nice place to sit in the shade and have a cold beer and a snack while watching the sea lap against the shore.

Why can't the local council just force them to pay high rents and drill the money back into the local economy and that will keep people their jobs and livelihoods.

Making the beach bigger, but much less tourists will go now that there won't be any amenities for them.

Stupid really.

• Like 2

^^

Yes, when I watched that news video report I was amazed that the 'manager' of Catch22 stated that he paid rent to the owner, the guy next to him. How can anyone own bech land.

And he used the word 'local' so many times. Implying that these locals don't have to obey Thai law.

G'day Bruce

Jobs for the local people? No Bruce for people from Myanmar and elsewhere.

You have to smile at the aussie Tourist when he said "You can't sit on the beach in Australia in a club like this...." For sure they would never let this kind of encroachment onto public land happen in Australia in the first place....can't wait for then to start on Samui......

• Like 2

Work went further yesterday , with the monstrous additions to Nok restaurant , and absolute eyesore , brought down and removed in one day. The site is about 3' higher than its neighbours and that needs addressing.

At the South end, the beach lane was blocked in the afternoon as a large Cat and backhoes demolished another aberration , the concrete overhang of 'Pearl of Surin' , built by the 'owner' , an ex director of TAT , of all things! One wonders if they will make her remove her guest rooms as well.

.... Little pink and white "Love Love Bar " out on the point is now gone as well.

"Bimi" is trying it on with a heavy presence of furniture on its previous beach site , it could be argued that its large '4 poster' day beds are not really removable , and therefore constitute 'permanent structures'.

A person 'in the know' told me Catch earned about a million baht in a good day in high season , and whatever way it was looked at they had made a lot of money.

All of these Beach Clubs have largish land side buildings , and are in no way going to fold and disappear ...they will still use the land under the trees opposite and indeed are already trying to do so.

Its a shame... I can imagine getting rid of the tatty places, but some of those clubs are quite 'high life'. They also provide a nice place to sit in the shade and have a cold beer and a snack while watching the sea lap against the shore.

Why can't the local council just force them to pay high rents and drill the money back into the local economy and that will keep people their jobs and livelihoods.

Making the beach bigger, but much less tourists will go now that there won't be any amenities for them.

Stupid really.

So places you like can stay and others have to go.

• Like 1

Stupid really.

I guess you don't get it. These places were built illegally on public land (the King's land) for private profit. The "locals" thought they were above the law as they just paid off local officials to do whatever they wanted. There is now a new sheriff in town, called the Thai Army and they are finally enforcing the law, thankfully!

• Like 2

^^

Yes, when I watched that news video report I was amazed that the 'manager' of Catch22 stated that he paid rent to the owner, the guy next to him. How can anyone own bech land.

And he used the word 'local' so many times. Implying that these locals don't have to obey Thai law.

I was surprised at that as well.

How can he be the "landlord" of land he can not, and does not, own?

He's obviously just the bagman for officials that allowed these illegal constructions on public land.

Why are those cabanas still on the public beach? Someone should call the army to go and remove them.

This is probably the one and only chance to reclaim the beaches - let these 'scum' get a foothold now and you won't shift them....

Stupid really.

The amenities are still there, just 30 feet further away, oh no ! SO far to walk !

They knew it was all illegal when they built it, they get zero sympathy from me....

Good job Prayuth and Co.

• Like 1

G'day Bruce

Jobs for the local people? No Bruce for people from Myanmar and elsewhere.

You have to smile at the aussie Tourist when he said "You can't sit on the beach in Australia in a club like this...." For sure they would never let this kind of encroachment onto public land happen in Australia in the first place....can't wait for then to start on Samui......

That's probably why there are so many Aussies in Thailand. So they can sit in the shade on the beach and have a fruit juice and some lunch...

i was told by a local person who has lived in phuket for a long time, one lady who owned a bar just near the surin beach car park (i know the name but will keep it p&c) and it was only about

2 years old paid the orbortor 15 mill thb for the beach land...... now her new bar has been bulldozed and rightfully it should be, but goes to show where the money was going...............

we have also been told by a local contractor doing work on some of the high end villas in Surin up on the hills like Ayara Hilltops and another new villa being built on the road

going from surin up the hill to Laem Singh on the right side to cease work these are illegal.... as this is national forest area...... rumours have been the army has been going around

the coast by boat taking photos of so called illegal developments or villas built either to close to the beach or on what they consider as national forest land...

i just hope the new villas called Vertigo right up high on surin hills have got their paperwork right as when you look up surely they are above the height restriction and definitely looks

like forest area to me.....

also the new 20 million USD villa being build on the rocks/cliff at the south end of surin beach.... fingers crossed you are not illegal also....