Recommended Local Tradesmen.

peteypie

Dear All, I'm sure that at sometime or other you have had need of a tradesman to do repairs on your properties. In Thailand this can be a un-nerving enterprise, as often the quality of workmenship leaves much to be desired. It's often a case of 'near enough is good enough' and then they hit you with the bill!! However, there are a few people pout there who will surprise you. I happen to meet one of these guys last week while doing work on my town house in JoHo (outer suburb of Korat) I needed electrical work doing and this included the fitting of a water pump, the whole nine yards you could say. My Thai wife's ex-neighbour is a time served electrician with the Royal Thai Army. He is now retired and has gone into business for himself. He came to our house and worked non-stop from 08:00 until 20:00, fitted the pump, put in a big room fan, fixed numerous lights and added many electical sockets. Apart from the cost of the fixtures and fittings, he charged us 750 baht for his labour !!! His workmanship was first class and he has the contacts to do any other type of work, such as bathroom fitting, carpentry, you name it. I would like to highly recommend this tradesman to other members of Thaivisa.com. Although his English is very limited, his daughter can get by in the language. If you have a Thai partner or friend, they can give him the instructions he'll need to do a first class job. Below are his details.

Name: Khun See (Ex Warrant Officer 1st Class)

Home Telephone Number: 044-294114 Mobile Number: 01-9663822

• 8 months later...
750 Baht for a day's work for a good electrician is way over the odds.Here is Udorn you're talking 300 at most and thats for a top guy.

I first thought it was a bit pricey, but a lot of electricians charge depending on what you want done i.e x ammount for a light, x ammout for a socket, so it might well of been 2 days work, just done in one day, so without seeing exactly what he did its a bit difficult to tell. The OP seemed happy enough

Paying by the day is usually slower than paying by the job, but usually cheaper.

• 1 month later...
Is this still valid information?

Anybody had experience since publication?

The further you stay inland in Amphoes in Isaan the more difficult it is to find reliable workers to repair electrical equipment etc in the house. Try to find someone having visited Bangkok once or twice in a lifetime. In Bangkok they adapt to a reliable style. You can also contact your official government electrical department in the next city, they are always prepared to recommend a good friend.

Reckon it may be a good idea if we all posted people we could recommend and trust to do a good job, (maybe also post the bad ones as-well.) I for sure will need a good sparky soon.

Could be a good idea for a sub forum. Not only for sparkies, but all trades. I'm sure most of us will like to pay a little bit more for a quality job, than going through the agony of finding somebody to correct the scr*w ups from others and pay double/tripple.

Remember what the most important thing in life is ......"To Breathe"
Hello there Peteypie, I guess I undertood a house raising and building a small bungalow on a pond here in the Ban Thaen Area and the guys used and women (tradesmen wives) did the cement and tile ..I must say from my neighbors and friends that the job was pretty good. My electrician works for the Amphur or around the village mainly on highlines but did upgrade my service entrance and I added more receptacles as needed in an upstair remodle later last year. Yes, they said they would travel for work and do ceiling tile wood work and electrical and tile and painting as well as cement. Also have people here who do aluminum doors and screens..Ya know burgular proofing. Excellent craft as well as one man who rotates between building security gates and fences and awnings and changing bus and tractor tires. I guess you do what you have to because of the pay scale sure isn't the same as in a big city but better than the 120/day for yhow khow. Bye DMM
Dear All, I'm sure that at sometime or other you have had need of a tradesman to do repairs on your properties. In Thailand this can be a un-nerving enterprise, as often the quality of workmenship leaves much to be desired. It's often a case of 'near enough is good enough' and then they hit you with the bill!! However, there are a few people pout there who will surprise you. I happen to meet one of these guys last week while doing work on my town house in JoHo (outer suburb of Korat) I needed electrical work doing and this included the fitting of a water pump, the whole nine yards you could say. My Thai wife's ex-neighbour is a time served electrician with the Royal Thai Army. He is now retired and has gone into business for himself. He came to our house and worked non-stop from 08:00 until 20:00, fitted the pump, put in a big room fan, fixed numerous lights and added many electical sockets. Apart from the cost of the fixtures and fittings, he charged us 750 baht for his labour !!!  His workmanship was first class and he has the contacts to do any other type of work, such as bathroom fitting, carpentry, you name it. I would like to highly recommend this tradesman to other members of Thaivisa.com. Although his English is very limited, his daughter can get by in the language. If you have a Thai partner or friend, they can give him the instructions he'll need to do a first class job. Below are his details.

Name: Khun See  (Ex Warrant Officer 1st Class)

Home Telephone Number: 044-294114  Mobile Number: 01-9663822

750 Baht for a day's work for a good electrician is way over the odds.Here is Udorn you're talking 300 at most and thats for a top guy.

There's always one isn't there? Why pay a tenner a day when you can get away with a fiver.

I guess I'm different. I too have a very good crew that does work for me. All from my wifes village. They know the rules. I pay on the excellence of the job done. I am one of these people that thinks a good days work merits a good days pay,not the cheaper it is the better it must be.

Penny-pinching is a common enough trait in Thailand though. You just listen to the local ex-pats at their 'rubbish' table in the local pub.

Whereas back home the usual theme is:

' Wow I stayed in a fantastic Hotel last week,cost me 100 a night. Great'

" That's nothing. I stayed in a better one for 200" is the reply

" Peanuts" chips in a third " 300 a night nothing less"

Out here it is

" Wow I stayed in a fantastic Hotel last night.Cost me ฿350"

" That's nothing. I stayed in a better one. ฿250"

" That's expensive" chips in a third " ฿150 nothing more"

Quoting Tolkein again 'There's nowt queer as folk" : :o

Anything that is intended to last a time and serve you well, is worth paying a little more for to ensure that it is done correctly. That is not to say I throw money around!

Like buying a truck. I bought a new truck 5 years ago, have it regularly serviced and have had no problems whatsoever. A mate bought a second hand car and not only has it let him down on numerous occasions in the first six months, the amount that he's had to shell out on repair costs is approaching the original cost of the car!

:o