Snail Attack!

goto the plant shop and as a guy for substance for get rid snails ( ยากำจัดหอยทาก- yaa gum jud hoi tark)

alternative way ... pick snails by youself , import it as " Thai Escargot " :o

Neem oil sprayed on will keep them from eating the plant with no dengerous effects. It's widely available with soem sort of Thai name followed by number 111.

The only problem is that in the rainy season you have to keep re-applying it.

I have read that outting out a bowl of stale beer at night will attract them and then you can gather them up and relocate, kill or eat them as per your personal beliefs/inclinations.... I tried this and it didn't work but yours sound like a different kind of snail so maybe worth trying.

Soot sir soot, as in black stuff from chimneys, might be a problem as Thailand is a little low on chimneys but sprinkled round the base of the plants the snails wont cross it, Salt will work but your plants are not salt marsh plants i presume, so you may very well do more harm to the plants at root level. Might try charcoal crushed up although this isnt quite soot despite being just as messy so dont know if it will work, soot does work.

Hey just found these on net too.

Crushed eggshells: Crush eggshells and spread the rough chips around your plants. The rough eggshells will puncture slug or snails' soft covering (same principle as Diatomaceous earth, without the possible respiratory consequences). In addition, eggshells supply calcium, nitrogen, and trace minerals to your soil.

The range of pesticides used to kill slugs and snails are called molluscicides and are commonly sold as pellets. Are molluscicide pellets really the gardener’s friend? Molluscicides not only poison slugs and snails but can also harm domestic animals and wildlife

Slugs and snails will collect in traps such as under upturned flower pots if left in a shady spot overnight and can be harvested the next morning before the sun is too hot and the shelters become too dry (remember to leave a gap under pots for snails to crawl through)

Get a domestic duck. I live on a small stream and had a huge snail problem (lots of them and large ones) and then my sister-in-law next door got Mr and Mrs Duck. They ate every snail in sight and even now, 6 years after the departure of the Duck family, very few snails.

A simple solution is to place some beer in a pie pan or similar deep device. Snails love beer and will slip in and drown.

The downside is that snails will travel a long way to drown in the beer, so you may attract snails from adjoining properties.

The best way to overcome this is to place the beer pie pan some distance from the vegetables that you are trying to protect.

I suggest that you use Singha Beer. It's not fit for human consumption but your snails may like it. :o

• Like 1

SBK, re the duck approach:

1) how did they get along with your cat(s) (I think you have cats as well as dogs?)?

2) what does one have to feed them?

3) In dry season do you need to supply a pond?

4) How do you keep them from wandering awa?

As you can probably tell by these questions I am a city girl in origins...

And Mighty Mouse, I tried the beer thing and got zilch. Any idea why? I gave it a few days and nary a snail approached altho there were plenty about. Or else they managed to get a sip and slither off in the darkness...

goto the plant shop and as a guy for substance for get rid snails ( ยากำจัดหอยทาก- yaa gum jud hoi tark)

alternative way ... pick snails by youself , import it as " Thai Escargot " :o

good point..are they edible? If so problem solved!

I suggest that you use Singha Beer. It's not fit for human consumption but your snails may like it. :D

If mice and humans won`t drink it why would you expect snails to drink it? :o

I tried the Chang beer...but I was woken up in the middle of the night by two snails fighting over a bar-snail.

Sharp sand (gritty) around the base of plants will discourage snails and slugs. Fresh coffee grouts will also kill them, unfortunatly, not before they've demolished the plant :D Something to do with the caffiene. So maybe tea-leaves will also work? Back in England I found the night patrol method (flash-light and heavy boots) did the trick. :o

regards

SBK, re the duck approach:

1) how did they get along with your cat(s) (I think you have cats as well as dogs?)? Mr Duck actually groomed my sister-in-laws dog. Very weird. Otherwise, they left the dogs alone and once the dogs realized the ducks weren't fair game, left them alone. Cat mixing with ducks? Never! :D

2) what does one have to feed them? She threw out some rice and leftovers, there was duck food too, but they ate snails.

3) In dry season do you need to supply a pond? We live on the beach, Mr and Mrs Duck used to do a flyover every morning. Our creek is rarely dry so they also hung out there

4) How do you keep them from wandering away?I don't know, they just didn't go anywhere. Maybe ducks are territorial? My husband claimed they couldn't fly but I woke up early one morning and saw them doing a flyby at about 5 feet above the sea.

As you can probably tell by these questions I am a city girl in origins... Thats ok, so am I :o

And Mighty Mouse, I tried the beer thing and got zilch. Any idea why? I gave it a few days and nary a snail approached altho there were plenty about. Or else they managed to get a sip and slither off in the darkness...

• 14 years later...