Expat Alcoholics in Bangkok

peter1965

Since I came to Thailand, it seems that overdrinking is accepted here way more than in western countries. I work with a few chaps who are gettig drunk regularly and it is condoned. Back in my home country, they would be suggested to seek some type of recovery. I feel uncomfortable saying something to these guys like, "you know you are slowly killing yourself and ruinning your life so you should really get help." One of the guys attended AA for a while but he said he couldn't take the religious angle of it all.

Has anyone else found that there is way to much drinking going on among expats here?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which western countries are you talking about? Australia, N.Z. Britain, Ireland, Holland Germany, Czech Republic, the U.S. could go on but its tedious, all have massive drinking cultures. I think you may be alluding to the fact that people come here on holiday and really start belting it down, but then again I thought that what it was all about. Being an Aussie all the "chaps" I worked with got drunk on a regular basis. Is that not the point of drinking? Water will tend to make you rusty... now where's my beer whistling.gif

In the States or Canada, public intoxication is not tolerated like it is here. That is a big difference.

Yeah no beer pong or frat parties, or street parties or world series parties or super bowl parties or parking lot booze ups in the grand old US of A. thumbsup.gif

Alcohol makes you smarter. It's the same principle as in the animal kingdom. When a predator attacks a herd they go for the weak or older animal which makes the herd as a whole stronger. It's the same when drinking alcohol. Yes alcohol kills off brain cells but it'll kill the weaker brain thus leaving you with the stronger brain cells and making you smarter. It's a fact.

Has the OP been to Australia?

I sheltered from the rain today (Phuket) outside a 7/11, what else could I do but grab a coldie from the fridge and wait. Go out 2 or 3 times a week very relaxing and enjoyable. If you know the risks are not a burden or menace to your family, failing at work or trying to fight depression. Up 2 U, for me washes away little stresses and strains.

Cheers

What a load of bull. People who get drunk would get drunk everywhere. I am one of them and I have gotten drunk pretty much in every country that I have lived in, including some of the western countries.

And on another note, I can't imagine going through life sober.

Smoking causes lung cancer so stop smoking if you don't want to die

Sex may be dangerous as you may catch HIV and die

Driving is life threatening as every year 30.000 people die on the roads here.

Eating fruit or vegetables may cause cancer as they may be genetically modified by Monsanto.

Making a phonecall can cost you your life as there are batteries on the market that explode.

Walking around on the street may shorten your life as there is a lot of pollution these days.

I suggest you have a drink now and then, as long as you have the chance.

Alcohol makes you smarter. It's the same principle as in the animal kingdom. When a predator attacks a herd they go for the weak or older animal which makes the herd as a whole stronger. It's the same when drinking alcohol. Yes alcohol kills off brain cells but it'll kill the weaker brain thus leaving you with the stronger brain cells and making you smarter. It's a fact.

Definately some logic in there somewhere, I will keep looking

You must also have a few sheep missing in the top paddock. whistling.gif

Frankly, it's non your damn business. It is their business, not yours. Perhaps you should just go back to those places, and leave the rest of us alone to live as we chose to do.

Rather, sir, it is very much the business of us who would rather you shit-for-brain losers would go and destroy yourselves back wherever you came from.

Your presence engenders the worst feelings towards foreigners in this country. It is your arrogance, your indifference to Thai values, that contributes to immigration policies which make life for the rest of us more troublesome than it need be.

Your very presence within the the national boundaries is an embarrassment to me and many other decent people, and an insult to the Kingdom.

Frankly, it's non your damn business. It is their business, not yours. Perhaps you should just go back to those places, and leave the rest of us alone to live as we chose to do.

Wow, alcoholism has a union spokesperson

Upon seeing the title of this thread I thought it would only be comic relief.

Rather, sir, it is very much the business of us who would rather you shit-for-brain losers would go and destroy yourselves back wherever you came from.

Your presence engenders the worst feelings towards foreigners in this country. It is your arrogance, your indifference to Thai values, that contributes to immigration policies which make life for the rest of us more troublesome than it need be.

Your very presence within the the national boundaries is an embarrassment to me and many other decent people, and an insult to the Kingdom.

In theory i understand the point you are trying to make but if "drinking and drunkenness and drunk in public and drunk driving were to become an olympic sport thailand would bring home the gold without farang participation.

Oh please..... that is enough to drive me to drink (I don't btw). Why do you assume people that drink too much are "shit-for-brains losers"? Why such anger? Perhaps you would rather have them go back, but most of us would probably like you narrow minded control freaks buzz off. I don't know how long you have been here, but doesn't matter what your behavior is many Thais generate "worst feelings towards foreigners" independent of behavior. Thai values? Didn't I see in report other day they Thailand is one of the leading drunk tanks of SE Asia? Getting sh*t faced is part of the culture. They are just trying to fit in.... Immigration policies are such because of long streak of xenophobia, feelings of cultural superiority, and general love of clanking brass balls when they can.

Oh, on second thought stay. Makes it more fun to laugh at such posters for being so uptight. I prefer to be embarrassed by my behavior, don't waste time on others stupidity. Might want to try that for awhile. Or maybe move to Saudi Arabia. Not so many drunks there I figure.

Not so strange, if you live longer here in Thailand. Especially if you don't have to go to a job the next day. I nearly didn't drink at all when I came here to Thailand, but now find myself having a drink nearly every evening. But I'm still to ONE drink.

Got pissed the other day when my one drink was half wodka and half coke....

Anyway, it is enjoyable. The warm climate, no police to give you big fines and just a relaxed life..

I still don't want to mingle with too many expats who think that drinking is the only thing to do... but I enjoy it more than in my previous life.

Archived